Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 116

Thread: Stubbs

  1. #16
    Schnickelfritz BurgervilleBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wyldur
    Posts
    725

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    For what it's worth, since July 16th when Votto went down:

    Stubbs is .247/.309/.387

    In 150 at-bats, he's hit 21 singles, 4 2B, 1 3B and 5 HR. Struck out 53 times, stole 11 bases, been walked 13 times.

    He's scored 28 runs with 18 RBI's.

    Bold numbers indicate it's the most on the team for this stretch, italics indicates near the top. Although he has struck out a lot, his slash line isn't pathetic but it's not great. Average in my opinion with just a hint of power (OPS of nearly .700)

    Despite his K rate which is of obvious concern, he is still contributing to this team which is hard to see without looking at the numbers. I'm not ready to get rid of him just yet.
    I'm not either but keep in mind that those numbers are affected by the tear he went on around the trade deadline. He has since cooled off.

    Defensively, he's capable. Offensively, he's not getting it done. Where's the harm in putting him down further in the lineup. Switch him and Hannigan and maybe there might be folks on base when Votto comes back to the plate.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

    "For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member BungleBengals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    622

    Re: Stubbs

    I think a lot of Stubbs "great" number since the ASB are from that streak he had right before the trade deadline. His K rate is definitely very hurting to this team. I do not have the stats with me, but just from watching the games, it gets frustrating to see him look clueless as ever when he is AB with RISP. He has shown no change in his swing which I see as a sign of a guy who is unwilling to adapt. If he shortened his swing, or at least studied some film, you would think that he would be able to turn all his foul balls into hits. You would think he would go to Votto and get some tips. Wasn't there a stat that Votto only fouled down the first base line like 2-5 times over 3 years or something like that? Seems like he should be able to help Stubbs.
    2013 Attendance: 6-0
    4/3/13, 4/16/13, 4/17/13, 8/3/13, 8/21/13, 9/7/13

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    725

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I think a lot of Stubbs "great" number since the ASB are from that streak he had right before the trade deadline. His K rate is definitely very hurting to this team. I do not have the stats with me, but just from watching the games, it gets frustrating to see him look clueless as ever when he is AB with RISP. He has shown no change in his swing which I see as a sign of a guy who is unwilling to adapt. If he shortened his swing, or at least studied some film, you would think that he would be able to turn all his foul balls into hits. You would think he would go to Votto and get some tips. Wasn't there a stat that Votto only fouled down the first base line like 2-5 times over 3 years or something like that? Seems like he should be able to help Stubbs.
    As much as he has struggled, I would think Stubbs has probably listened/ tried all these suggestions plus a bunch more. He just seems unable to make any adjustments to his offense.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    221

    Re: Stubbs

    Wonder if Cleveland would be willing to look at a swap of some type which included Stubbs and Brantley - or the Rockies and Fowler - or the Twins and Span?

    Of course, none of that would happen until the offseason but still a guy can dream...

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    221

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    For what it's worth, since July 16th when Votto went down:

    Stubbs is .247/.309/.387

    In 150 at-bats, he's hit 21 singles, 4 2B, 1 3B and 5 HR. Struck out 53 times, stole 11 bases, been walked 13 times.

    He's scored 28 runs with 18 RBI's.

    Bold numbers indicate it's the most on the team for this stretch, italics indicates near the top. Although he has struck out a lot, his slash line isn't pathetic but it's not great. Average in my opinion with just a hint of power (OPS of nearly .700)

    Despite his K rate which is of obvious concern, he is still contributing to this team which is hard to see without looking at the numbers. I'm not ready to get rid of him just yet.

    All that's fine and dandy but I can't believe those runs scored numbers wouldn't be a LOT better if he were on the base paths more instead of walking back to the dugout. That's the thing the believers dismiss.

    Last edited by IamRV; 08-28-2012 at 06:22 PM.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    605

    Re: Stubbs

    This could be avoided if Dusty used Stubbs correctly.

    Stubbs is streaky, like Bruce, and has the ability to pull this team up single handily. He salvaged two games in Houston to keep the eventual 11-game winning streak alive. He also made a great catch in the top of the 9th that saved a run, against a team I can't remember. That game the Reds won at the bottom of the inning.

    I believe Stubb is average over a long enough period of time. If Dusty would just sit him more and play Heisey/Bruce during his slumps, the Reds would have an extra win or two. The problem is once Stubbs goes on a streak, Dusty says,"See! You gotta stick with it." Which is backwards thinking in my opinion.

  8. #22
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    326

    Re: Stubbs

    Until Stubbs agrees to shorten his swing and quick trying to crush the ball every AB, I'd bat him 9th. Especially when Leake or Arroyo is pitching.

    Agreed that it is absolutely insane the Reds two lowest OBPs are batting 1 and 2.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    221

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    ...
    Agreed that it is absolutely insane the Reds two lowest OBPs are batting 1 and 2.
    Insane?

    It's nothing short of criminal. Were I Votto or anyone else batting 3, 4 or 5 I'd sue the Reds and Dusty for criminal neglect and malicious harm.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    487

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Insane?

    It's nothing short of criminal. Were I Votto or anyone else batting 3, 4 or 5 I'd sue the Reds and Dusty for criminal neglect and malicious harm.
    And the judge would take a peek at the standings and laugh you out of court.

  11. #25
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by jback76 View Post
    I think Dusty needs to use a bigger hammer or let someone else do the pounding.
    I wish I could do some pounding...on some of my fellow Sundeck members. WE ALL KNOW THAT STUBBS SUCKS AND IS GOING TO PLAY...get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!

  12. #26
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    And the judge would take a peek at the standings and laugh you out of court.
    Hilarious!!!!!

  13. #27
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,981

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    As much as he has struggled, I would think Stubbs has probably listened/ tried all these suggestions plus a bunch more. He just seems unable to make any adjustments to his offense.
    He's too stubborn or maybe not too bright....or both.

    Take last night for instance. He finally attempts to bunt...but against a LHP, when he actually hits lefties at a decent clip.

    He should be bunting regularly against RHP. He can't usually touch them and they're not in a good position to field bunts down the 3B line.

    But Stubbs sucks as a bunter largely, I imagine, because he sees himself as a power guy and doesn't really practice bunting.

    That excuse he made a month or so ago about how all the planets had to be aligned to bunt successfully was some vintage stuff....and patently ridiculous.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-29-2012 at 02:16 PM.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: Stubbs

    I think Stubbs is just amazingly dumb. The stereotype of a "Dumb jock" exists for a reason. He will be gone in the offseason.

    I think Heisey earned his shot at CF today. Stubbs is nothing more than a PR at this point...

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    221

    Re: Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    And the judge would take a peek at the standings and laugh you out of court.
    Red herring argument. So what exactly makes you think we wouldn't have even more wins by getting folks on base in front of those who can hit?

    More folks on base in front of Votto, Frazier, Ludwick = more runs. That's not debatable. To argue the opposite is foolishness.

  16. #30
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I wish I could do some pounding...on some of my fellow Sundeck members. WE ALL KNOW THAT STUBBS SUCKS AND IS GOING TO PLAY...get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As the fan I am....I can't. Corey Patterson the everyday CF for over 100 games and he was the worst offensive player in the league....Willy Taveras held the position for most of a year and again....batted high and was the worst offensive player in baseball. Now for 3 years we have Stubbs, who is not the worst offensive player but he's proven to be way up that list and for 500 games has been brutally frustrating and if anything has gotten worse.....

    For 5 years Dusty has driven me crazy with the sucky (fast) CF batting 1st or 2nd with the complete inability to get on base. 3 years he did it and we lost....2 years he did it and we've won.

    This has been Dusty's best season as a Red by 10-fold.....but we aren't the profound favorite....we are a playoff team with a chance and every fan sees Stubbs batting top of the order as a joke. Some of us want him to bat 7th or 8th and some want him to split time and some want him go find the guys from Cool Runnings and race them......who wants him to play 29/30 games and bat 1st or 2nd every time? It's a weak point and it'll be atrocious in the playoffs with advanced scouts following the Reds the last 30 games.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25