Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN pays 5.6 billion to keep baseball

ESPN pays 5.6 billion to keep baseball

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eball/related/

ESPN signs an eight-year, $5.6 billion deal to keep baseball

That includes digital, radio and, for the first time, the playoffs: one wild card game. Otherwise the deal is basically the same: Sunday Night Baseball and Monday and Wednesday night games.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eball/related/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN pays 5.6 billion to keep baseball

I'm shocked they paid that much for the baseball package for as little coverage as they give major league baseball on sportscenter compared to the NFL. It will be interesting to see what the other networks are going to pay. I was hoping to see someone other than FOX get it but it looks like its going to stay with them. There is talk of NBC getting in on the fun. I love Bob Costas as a baseball host. I predict TBS will keep the playoffs as well.

I like the deal, very surprised it cost this much. I like how Fox and ESPN cover baseball, and personally I think CBS does a better job at football anyway. Agree with the Bob Costas comment I like his angles on baseball.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

woo, more Yankees vs Red Sox every Sunday night
    Reds record when attended in 2011: 0-1
    Reds record when attended in 2010: 1-0

The deal also says ESPN will broadcast a game with every team at least once, which is a step in the right direction.

Would have liked to see the NBC sports network step in and outbid them. The only reason they keep baseball around is to keep their sports monopoly.

I was surprised that ESPN paid this much given their on air talent's claim that baseball is dying sport but nba and soccer are the dynamic future. I assume that means the NBA ratings are softer than admitted when you take away games with Heat, Lakers, Celtics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    I was surprised that ESPN paid this much given their on air talent's claim that baseball is dying sport but nba and soccer are the dynamic future. I assume that means the NBA ratings are softer than admitted when you take away games with Heat, Lakers, Celtics.
    Which is ridiculous since MLB is posting record attendance and viewership. I think the executives sees baseball's growth while the talking heads may not care.

Extra $13 mil per team per year.

Guessing the powers that be knew this when they signed Votto.

Include that with the pending new TV deal, and it was smart business

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    I'm shocked they paid that much for the baseball package for as little coverage as they give major league baseball on sportscenter compared to the NFL. It will be interesting to see what the other networks are going to pay. I was hoping to see someone other than FOX get it but it looks like its going to stay with them. There is talk of NBC getting in on the fun. I love Bob Costas as a baseball host. I predict TBS will keep the playoffs as well.
    Yeah right, Baseball Tonight runs like three times daily aside from the games. It gets plenty of coverage. I don't care who broadcasts the games because I'm watching Fox Sports Ohio every night. : )

Turn Off Ads?