Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Financial Windfall for MLB

Re: Financial Windfall for MLB

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Yeah...George? We're going to take 3/4 of the value of your team in the best interests of baseball.

Exactly how do you suppose the back half of that conversation will go?
    George? Steinbrenner?

I imagine the back half of the conversation would include lights flickering and the seance table levitating.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Or improve drug testing.
    The testing seems to be working doesn't it? In what ways are you wanting to improve it? I'm curious because when I see guys getting busted then it leads me to believe the system is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    The testing seems to be working doesn't it? In what ways are you wanting to improve it? I'm curious because when I see guys getting busted then it leads me to believe the system is working.
    I don't understand why the talking heads on ESPN and elsewhere are suggesting that the testing isn't working either. Until we see two guys hitting 60+ HRs in one year, I'd say it's working

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Yep. I've been saying this for a few years. The continued emergence of revenue from MLBAM will create an equal playing field as teams are equal partners in the investment. The national contracts will eventually be kept by Major League Baseball primarily, so that money will flow rather evenly as well.

The local revenues will continue to differ, but as MLB has a greater chunk of revenue distribution, baseball will be very healthy.

I'd still like some sort of salary threshold, but the need for it is diminishing by the year.
    I remember thinking this was the path to true revenue sharing in 2000? or so when it was announced. Unfortunately, I think that was lost in the archives, but the discussion did resurect a bit later.

In 2000 I was perplexed that people couldn't see this coming and it was roundly ignored then.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I remember thinking this was the path to true revenue sharing in 2000? or so when it was announced. Unfortunately, I think that was lost in the archives, but the discussion did resurect a bit later.

In 2000 I was perplexed that people couldn't see this coming and it was roundly ignored then.

GL
    I guess what I'm not getting is why the TV rights - both local and national - keep skyrocketing when it seems more people are watching games via the Internet. Although I suppose you do need someone to broadcast the games in order for people to watch it online but I would think that teams might bypass the TV and put those games online. Then that would mean all revenue gleaned from that is shared equally with all the teams. Perhaps that's why they aren't doing it.

Another question I have, would anyone watch an internet game with no announcers? You still have all the production values and graphics but no announcers. That might be something more attractive to someone on the go who is interested in looking at the game but isn't really into the announcers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO Selig has been fortunate with the boom of technology that he couldn't screw up.
    I don't really like Bud, but there's plenty of executives that could've screwed this up.

Another commisioner could've tried yet again to "Break the players union". At least Bud realized it's a lot more profitable for both sides not to have a strike.

The latest draft slot setup was a huge step towards helping parity. A lot harder for a early first round talent to slip to a wealthy team at the bottom of the first round.

Heck, we are seeing a resurgence of many small/medium market teams.
    Pittsburg, Cincy, and the Nats are all competitive this year. (Even though Washington is really a large market, they were struggling, and the system helped make them competitive).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Another question I have, would anyone watch an internet game with no announcers? You still have all the production values and graphics but no announcers. That might be something more attractive to someone on the go who is interested in looking at the game but isn't really into the announcers.
    I occasionally watch the innings/games muted. (This occurs more frequently when Thom is around.) The announcers generally add very little to the game and some of them (*cough* Thom *cough*) detract from it. I can always rewind (DVR) if I missed something.

What I really want is the ability to select/change my camera angle for the game. Eventually the players will wear cameras as part of their uniforms. I'd say give it another 15-20 years.

GL

I occasionally watch the innings/games muted. (This occurs more frequently when Thom is around.) The announcers generally add very little to the game and some of them (*cough* Thom *cough*) detract from it. I can always rewind (DVR) if I missed something.

What I really want is the ability to select/change my camera angle for the game. Eventually the players will wear cameras as part of their uniforms. I'd say give it another 15-20 years.

GL
    UNBELIEVABLE... I can NOT believe that YOU could say THAT!!

GL
    What I've been thinking is that eventually you should be able to point your remote - if watching on TV - or touch the screen on a player and the player's stats would pop up. Not all of them, since there are so many, but sort of a line like you would get on Baseball Reference.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Now, with all due respect, I'm not saying this to be confrontational but, in the views of some people, some say that maybe, in certain cases, that because of the circumstances...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._new_deal.html

FYI:

When ESPN televises a game on Monday or Wednesday, that game will no longer be blacked out in the markets of the two teams. In other words, you can choose to watch the Red Sox on NESN or ESPN on those nights.

In New York and Boston, that’s a pretty significant concession. NESN and YES can’t be too pleased with that.

Turn Off Ads?