Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Todd Frazier

Re: Todd Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Frazier will get his at-bats for the rest of the regular season. Votto will need rest, Rolen only plays 4 days a week and Luddy needs a day or two a week. Frazier will be in the lineup most days. If Rolen can keep up what hes done in the second half I want him starting 3rd in the playoffs. If we face a tough righty Frazier can get the nod. Dusty will find ways. Isnt it good though to have a guy that is having a tremendous year yet we have to find at-bats for him. A very good problem to have Id say.
    I agree with this. I think Ludwick's done his duty of carrying a heavy load since Votto went out, but he needs a bit of a break.

If Frazier rotates in as 2-3 days as 3B, 1-2 days as LF, 1-2 days as 1b every week for the rest of the year, I'll be happy enough. (This likely leads to 5 starts in 6 games, with an extra day off every week.)

In the playoffs I'm guessing he doesn't see any time at 1B, but I bet he plays 3 out of every 4 games. Given how well Ludwick and Rolen are hitting to this point, I don't think anyone can complain too vociferously at each of them getting one game off and one player getting two out of the four.

He'll play.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 08-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd anticipate Frazier getting almost zero starts in the postseason unless it's a 3-0 lead , but plenty of at bats coming off the bench as a PH. Ludwick and Rolen both have more experience at their positions, so it's likely a safer course to start them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Obviously, assuming Rolen does retire as expected, he's the regular 3B next year.
    Why are people assuming that Rolen is retiring? I very much expect to see him in Cincinnati next season.

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Why are people assuming that Rolen is retiring? I very much expect to see him in Cincinnati next season.
    Despite what he's done in the last few weeks his bat hasn't been that productive since 2010 and he can't stay healthy. So, if anyone offers him a contract it won't be for much. I think he's realistic about where his career is right now. Going out on a playoff team might be the kind of swan song he wants. Perform well in the playoffs and the last memory the HOF voters have of him will be a good one improving his chances even if only slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If Ludwick walks, the Reds sign a LH LF to platoon with Frazier and Rolen plays 3b next year. It's one scenario.
    Give LF to Frazier in that scenario and move along. Bigger job is fixing CF.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How about a rotation like this:

Day 1:
    1b - Votto
    3b - Rolen
    LF - Ludwick
    RF - Bruce

Day 2:
    1b - Frazier
    3b - Rolen
    LF - Ludwick
    RF - Bruce

Day 3:
    1b - Votto
    3b - Frazier
    LF - Ludwick
    RF - Bruce

Day 4:
    1b - Votto
    3b - Rolen
    LF - Frazier
    RF - Bruce

Day 5:
    1b - Votto
    3b - Rolen
    LF - Ludwick
    CF - Bruce
    RF - Frazier

Day 6:
    1b - Votto
    3b - Rolen
    LF - Ludwick
    CF - Stubbs
    RF - Frazier

Mix and match as necessary
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    I don't see the reds investing resources in Rolen when Frazier is ready to play for the league minimum. If Rolen wants to travel with the team and pick up 3-4 starts a week near the league minimum I would sign him.

Otherwise, "Hey, thanks for the memories and if you ever want to coach or stuff like that keep us in mind."

Hopefully Frazier will get to DH in the World Series.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

espn.com just posted a good article by Crasnick about TF. Good stuff here:

espn.com Frazier article
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

This is a good problem to have.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

espn.com Frazier article
    About his no handed HR:

"People ask me about it all the time, and I tell them, 'I don't know how I did it,'" Frazier says. "It was a hot day and I was holding on with two fingers when I hit it. There's a rule of thumb, 'Throw the head to the ball,' and that's what I did. It's pretty weird. I can't explain it."
    That sums it up for me. He is excellent at getting the right part of the bat on the ball.

This was just funny:

"Todd was always a competitor, whether it was pingpong or whiffle ball in the backyard or whatever. We wouldn't let him play because he was the little one. So he'd run home and tell our dad, and my dad would come back and take the ball and bat and say, 'You're not playing unless you let Todd play.' Todd got beat up sometimes, but he always came back."

Crasnick wrote that article, wasn't he a Cincinnati beat writer during the 90's?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Todd Frazier:

AAA: 1,007 PA, .788 OPS
    AA: 500 PA, .831 OPS

I'd expect a number somewhere between those two going forward. It's a great year he is having, but his minor league numbers indicate that this isn't the real Todd Frazier.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Todd Frazier:

AAA: 1,007 PA, .788 OPS
    AA: 500 PA, .831 OPS

I'd expect a number somewhere between those two going forward. It's a great year he is having, but his minor league numbers indicate that this isn't the real Todd Frazier.
    CE, I guess this is where I struggle with examining "new stats" - there never seems to be any possibility of a player moving up in their abilities. I understand in the great universe of players and seasons and all, that numbers move towards some norm. But I guess I'm skeptical that such locks something in stone and players aren't capable of rising above what is expected of them.

I can't say whether Todd Frazier will continue at the pace he presently is and I understand that he may regress towards what he's previously done. That said, I can't say that his numbers indicate that who he is in this present moment isn't at all who he actual is and will be for some years to come. Then again, I'm not certain you (or others) are necessarily saying that too. But I bristle at what feels like some determinism that can't be escaped.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

espn.com Frazier article
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    CE, I guess this is where I struggle with examining "new stats" - there never seems to be any possibility of a player moving up in their abilities. I understand in the great universe of players and seasons and all, that numbers move towards some norm. But I guess I'm skeptical that such locks something in stone and players aren't capable of rising above what is expected of them.

I can't say whether Todd Frazier will continue at the pace he presently is and I understand that he may regress towards what he's previously done. That said, I can't say that his numbers indicate that who he is in this present moment isn't at all who he actual is and will be for some years to come. Then again, I'm not certain you (or others) are necessarily saying that too. But I bristle at what feels like some determinism that can't be escaped.
    I think CE has made the mistake of using a general principal to take a dogmatic position on a specific case. That is not the intention of the general principal. The only thing certain is that there will be outliers when it comes to a population of "all hitters in minor league history." Unless CE has some special, supernatural predictive ability of who the outliers are and are not, Frazier could perform better than his minor league numbers in his major league career.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?