Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Todd Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is Frazier this good? I don't really think so. In 2012 his BABIP is .339. His BABIP hasn't matched that in the minor leagues at any level he has reached 190 PA's. So Frazier is probably experiencing a bit of luck.

With that said, his power is absolutely real. If he settles in as a .270/.335/.500 guy, that is pretty darn good still.
    Is there luck when driving balls to the gaps with regularity? I have seen every Frazier PA and there are rarely bloop or dribblers off his bat that go for hits. Is the luck theory that hitting it where they ain't isn't a skill?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Frazier

A little more love from ESPN with some comments from Barry Larkin: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8312666

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Just what do we have in this guy? Obviously, assuming Rolen does retire as expected, he's the regular 3B next year. Is he a perrenial all-star? Maybe something more? Or maybe less?
    Frazier reminds me of Chris Sabo, another early round collegiate draftee who made it to the majors in his mid-20s and was much better than anyone expected. Hopefully, he'll have a little bit better longevity than Sabo had.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Frazier reminds me of Chris Sabo, another early round collegiate draftee who made it to the majors in his mid-20s and was much better than anyone expected. Hopefully, he'll have a little bit better longevity than Sabo had.
    Sabo... is likely the 1st Reds steroid success

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Kal Daniels?

I'd say a lot of the guys on those early-90s teams were on the juice. Damn near everyone in MLB was juicing back in those days. I don't see any reason to single Sabo out.

I'd say a lot of the guys on those early-90s teams were on the juice. Damn near everyone in MLB was juicing back in those days. I don't see any reason to single Sabo out.
    Probably, but he leveraged it best probably, came up burned bright, flamed out fast

Well to be accurate is was a main course of roids with a side order of cork.

-The Insider-

I always knew that Frazier would be a good clubhouse guy. I always noticed that when I was around him. Everyone loved Frazier and just had that great personality to help make a clubhouse work.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I always knew that Frazier would be a good clubhouse guy. I always noticed that when I was around him. Everyone loved Frazier and just had that great personality to help make a clubhouse work.
    He could be a ZombieVampre for all I care if he keeps OPSing +.850

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    You can see that during games too. He's always grinning about something. He's jawing at the catchers and the umps when he's hitting and he's cutting up with BP when he's manning first base. He just seems like a normal guy who realizes what a great job he has playing a game for a living. I think he keeps the team loose. Every time he comes to bat, I find myself smiling...of course that may be more because of his hitting than his attitude.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

ROY Viewer poll on MLB network had Frazier blow everyone away with 57%.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Minor league stats help project a guy going forward, but so do 554 big league PA's. Just don't brush them aside...include them in your reasoning.
    The bolded part is SO IMPORTANT. Good point kal. It's understandable that people try to project, using minor league numbers (performance), in order to try and get a feel (gauge) what a player may do at the big league level. What else can one go on? If one wants to use the terminology "educated guess" that's fine, but it's nowhere near an exact science. Pretty incomplete IMO. The whole purpose of the various levels of minor league is about progressive development and getting to the next level. It's about taking a raw, yet talented and athletic kid and refining that potential that is already there.

Career-wise, Todd Frazier had pretty solid minor league totals. Now what does that tell me personally? That he has nothing left to prove at that level, and his next "test" is in the majors. He's done everything he could to prepare himself for that "test".

And so far, given the opportunity, he's passing that test with flying colors. That's really all that matters to me at this point. It doesn't necessarily mean he will continue to do so; but it certainly doesn't mean - simply by looking at minor league numbers - that at some point he's going to "come back to earth" or regress either. I just don't put that much stock in minor league numbers.

We can run down a gauntlet of ballplayers, either way, who have had either stellar minor league numbers, or even average careers, who washed out when it came to the bigs, or went on to success.

It's like trying to predict the weather.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And so far, given the opportunity, he's passing that test with flying colors. That's really all that matters to me at this point. It doesn't necessarily mean he will continue to do so; but it certainly doesn't mean - simply by looking at minor league numbers - that at some point he's going to "come back to earth" or regress either. I just don't put that much stock in minor league numbers.

We can run down a gauntlet of ballplayers, either way, who have had either stellar minor league numbers, or even average careers, who washed out when it came to the bigs, or went on to success.

It's like trying to predict the weather.
    While there are still no guarantees projecting what prospects will do in the majors projections have become more accurate in recent years. Maybe Frazier will surprise us and keep this up next year. I just wouldn't bet on it.

Probably, but he leveraged it best probably, came up burned bright, flamed out fast
    Yet power numbers still had to wait until 1993-94 for expansion ....to make them go up.

Just like the DH thing..... it was not clear that the AL was the better hitting league until after 1977 expansion and only the AL teams were involved in that draft.

Turn Off Ads?