Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: No talk about chris carpenter?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    So. Cen. KY
    Posts
    1,145

    No talk about chris carpenter?

    In the StL/Pit game after Harrison was hit and warnings were given Hurdle came out to argue about it and while doing so who else but Carpenter starts running his mouth from the dugout at Hurdle. I'm just surprised there hasn't been some discussion about it here along with some "How do I explain yelling F You from the dugout to other teams manager at home plate to my son" jokes.

  2. #2
    Have Faith In Dusty DGullett35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    712

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    I hate Carpenter just as much as any other guy on this board but the guy is one of the best big game pitchers in the league. Im glad he hasnt played all year though id never wish injury upon anyone.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

  3. #3
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,512

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Who?

  4. #4
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,597

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    The guy's a jerk. Unless it directly involves the Reds does it really need to be discussed?

    I'd rather ignore him, look forward to his mlb career ending, and hope he doesn't end up working for ESPN when he retires.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  5. #5
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    It was talked about in the "Watching the Scoreboard" thread while that game was being played.

    The guy is not on the 25-man roster. For running his mouth like that (considering he is not going to play) MLB should suspend him from the dugout for a week. Do it again and you are suspended from the dugout until you are back on the 25-man.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #6
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,180

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Chris Carpenter seems like the guy, (and every guy knows this guy) who doesn't keep his mouth shut, and escalates situations to the point of boiling. Somebody on his own team needs to whack him in the face and say shutup!
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  7. #7
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    You remember the scene in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe said that Ty Cobb wanted to play with them, but they told him because nobody liked him when he was alive.

    I can just imagine a scene a hundred years from now when Carpenter walks up and tries to get in, and Shoeless Joe says no because you couldn't keep your mouth shut when you were a player, and no one liked you.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

    ---Mr. Baseball 1992

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    681

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    They covered this on the local news last night here in St. Louis. They showed the Pirate HR, then the hit batter retaliation, then Hurdle arguing. So far, so good. Then they showed Carpenter mouthing the "f y" from the dugout, and the commentator said, "Chris Carpenter had a few choice words for Clint Hurdle from the dugout." Then they moved on to cover Carpenter's rehab bullpen session.

    The clear implication to me, without saying it, just showing it, was a tacit commentary on what a jerk Carpenter was being. They could have just shown the game highlights on local news and skipped that little episode entirely. So maybe he rubs local media guys the wrong way too.

  9. #9
    Red's fan mbgrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    They covered this on the local news last night here in St. Louis. They showed the Pirate HR, then the hit batter retaliation, then Hurdle arguing. So far, so good. Then they showed Carpenter mouthing the "f y" from the dugout, and the commentator said, "Chris Carpenter had a few choice words for Clint Hurdle from the dugout." Then they moved on to cover Carpenter's rehab bullpen session.

    The clear implication to me, without saying it, just showing it, was a tacit commentary on what a jerk Carpenter was being. They could have just shown the game highlights on local news and skipped that little episode entirely. So maybe he rubs local media guys the wrong way too.
    I don't think it was the Pirate HR: I took them hitting Harrison as retaliation for him plowing into Molina on the play at the plate earlier in the game. The 1st time Harrison came up afterwards, Westbrook didn't hit him cause the game was still close. But the next time he came up, the Pirates were up by 5, and Westbrook figured 'why not'...
    __________________
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

  10. #10
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I don't think it was the Pirate HR: I took them hitting Harrison as retaliation for him plowing into Molina on the play at the plate earlier in the game. The 1st time Harrison came up afterwards, Westbrook didn't hit him cause the game was still close. But the next time he came up, the Pirates were up by 5, and Westbrook figured 'why not'...
    So after Dusty "out-flanked" Hurdle in Cincy when they got the HBP (Harrison!) and the warnings done (game after the Chapman HBP of McCutchen)... do the Pirates go after a Cards hitter in the top of the 1st today? Wandy Rodriguez on the hill for the Bucs.

    S/b interesting.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    You remember the scene in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe said that Ty Cobb wanted to play with them, but they told him because nobody liked him when he was alive.

    I can just imagine a scene a hundred years from now when Carpenter walks up and tries to get in, and Shoeless Joe says no because you couldn't keep your mouth shut when you were a player, and no one liked you.
    hey, maybe golf or tennis beckons....the perfect team sport...

    fore!

  12. #12
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,605

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    I think his son is old enough to know without explanation that his dad can be a real jerk.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  13. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,007

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Sports teams are all full of RA's, Chris Carpenter is in a class of his own.

  14. #14
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sports teams are all full of RA's, Chris Carpenter is in a class of his own.
    I think most of his teammates, outside of Brendan Ryan, would say they love him as a teammate. Boy he looks boorish from any other angle though.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  15. #15
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

    I would love to get a chance to talk to Carpenter so I could ask him what the heck is going on in his head when he does these type of things....

    I'd also love to be in the front row behind home plate when he pitches again... I'd be barking at him, home made sign, dancing, etc....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25