Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No talk about chris carpenter?

No talk about chris carpenter?

In the StL/Pit game after Harrison was hit and warnings were given Hurdle came out to argue about it and while doing so who else but Carpenter starts running his mouth from the dugout at Hurdle. I'm just surprised there hasn't been some discussion about it here along with some "How do I explain yelling F You from the dugout to other teams manager at home plate to my son" jokes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No talk about chris carpenter?

I hate Carpenter just as much as any other guy on this board but the guy is one of the best big game pitchers in the league. Im glad he hasnt played all year though id never wish injury upon anyone.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Who?

The guy's a jerk. Unless it directly involves the Reds does it really need to be discussed?

I'd rather ignore him, look forward to his mlb career ending, and hope he doesn't end up working for ESPN when he retires.

For a Level Playing Field

It was talked about in the "Watching the Scoreboard" thread while that game was being played.

The guy is not on the 25-man roster. For running his mouth like that (considering he is not going to play) MLB should suspend him from the dugout for a week. Do it again and you are suspended from the dugout until you are back on the 25-man.

Chris Carpenter seems like the guy, (and every guy knows this guy) who doesn't keep his mouth shut, and escalates situations to the point of boiling. Somebody on his own team needs to whack him in the face and say shutup!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

You remember the scene in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe said that Ty Cobb wanted to play with them, but they told him because nobody liked him when he was alive.

I can just imagine a scene a hundred years from now when Carpenter walks up and tries to get in, and Shoeless Joe says no because you couldn't keep your mouth shut when you were a player, and no one liked you.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

They covered this on the local news last night here in St. Louis. They showed the Pirate HR, then the hit batter retaliation, then Hurdle arguing. So far, so good. Then they showed Carpenter mouthing the "f y" from the dugout, and the commentator said, "Chris Carpenter had a few choice words for Clint Hurdle from the dugout." Then they moved on to cover Carpenter's rehab bullpen session.

The clear implication to me, without saying it, just showing it, was a tacit commentary on what a jerk Carpenter was being. They could have just shown the game highlights on local news and skipped that little episode entirely. So maybe he rubs local media guys the wrong way too.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    They covered this on the local news last night here in St. Louis. They showed the Pirate HR, then the hit batter retaliation, then Hurdle arguing. So far, so good. Then they showed Carpenter mouthing the "f y" from the dugout, and the commentator said, "Chris Carpenter had a few choice words for Clint Hurdle from the dugout." Then they moved on to cover Carpenter's rehab bullpen session.

The clear implication to me, without saying it, just showing it, was a tacit commentary on what a jerk Carpenter was being. They could have just shown the game highlights on local news and skipped that little episode entirely. So maybe he rubs local media guys the wrong way too.
    I don't think it was the Pirate HR: I took them hitting Harrison as retaliation for him plowing into Molina on the play at the plate earlier in the game. The 1st time Harrison came up afterwards, Westbrook didn't hit him cause the game was still close. But the next time he came up, the Pirates were up by 5, and Westbrook figured 'why not'...
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I don't think it was the Pirate HR: I took them hitting Harrison as retaliation for him plowing into Molina on the play at the plate earlier in the game. The 1st time Harrison came up afterwards, Westbrook didn't hit him cause the game was still close. But the next time he came up, the Pirates were up by 5, and Westbrook figured 'why not'...
    So after Dusty "out-flanked" Hurdle in Cincy when they got the HBP (Harrison!) and the warnings done (game after the Chapman HBP of McCutchen)... do the Pirates go after a Cards hitter in the top of the 1st today? Wandy Rodriguez on the hill for the Bucs.

S/b interesting.

Westbrook tried to hit in the head, but being a sinker pitcher, ended up hitting his shoelaces

(having not seen the lowlights yet, I'm making up my own story)
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    You remember the scene in Field of Dreams when Shoeless Joe said that Ty Cobb wanted to play with them, but they told him because nobody liked him when he was alive.

I can just imagine a scene a hundred years from now when Carpenter walks up and tries to get in, and Shoeless Joe says no because you couldn't keep your mouth shut when you were a player, and no one liked you.
    hey, maybe golf or tennis beckons....the perfect team sport...

fore!

I think his son is old enough to know without explanation that his dad can be a real jerk.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    So after Dusty "out-flanked" Hurdle in Cincy when they got the HBP (Harrison!) and the warnings done (game after the Chapman HBP of McCutchen)... do the Pirates go after a Cards hitter in the top of the 1st today? Wandy Rodriguez on the hill for the Bucs.

S/b interesting.
    I'd almost guarantee warnings are issued before that game begins.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Sports teams are all full of RA's, Chris Carpenter is in a class of his own.

Turn Off Ads?