Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reds still have 4 Games with No TV Remaining!

The Reds still have 4 Games with No TV Remaining!

Today's game at Arizona (3:40 PM ET) will not be televised in Cincinnati.

The other three remaining games that are not on the broadcast schedule are:
    Wednesday, September 5 - 12:35 PM - vs. Philadelphia
    Sunday, September 23 - 1:10 PM - vs. LA Dodgers
    Thursday, September 27 - 12:35 PM - vs. Milwaukee

What if the Reds clinch on one of these dates?!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds still have 4 Games with No TV Remaining!

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    Today's game at Arizona (3:40 PM ET) will not be televised in Cincinnati.

The other three remaining games that are not on the broadcast schedule are:
    Wednesday, September 5 - 12:35 PM - vs. Philadelphia
    Thursday, September 27 - 12:35 PM - vs. Milwaukee

What if the Reds clinch on one of these dates?!
    Then chances are the carrier will pick up the opposing teams (or MLB) feed

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Then chances are the carrier will pick up the opposing teams (or MLB) feed
    That has NEVER happened before. Why would it happen now?

That has NEVER happened before. Why would it happen now?
    Because there will be demand for it beyond the average fan.. and yes it has happened before

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Because there will be demand for it beyond the average fan.. and yes it has happened before
    When? Where??

Fox Ohio would definetly pick the game up if it is a clinch situation. No worries.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Kids...

When I was their age, we dreamed of having all but four games a month televised. We had around 30 games a year televised, and none were home games, and we were grateful for those 30 games, we respected those 30 games.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

When? Where??
    I've been watching baseball on TV for 45 years, it's been done before.

I failed to mark in my life book though

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Kids...

When I was their age, we dreamed of having all but four games a month televised. We had around 30 games a year televised, and none were home games, and we were grateful for those 30 games, we respected those 30 games.

I don't know what age anybody is, but when I was a kid (1970s) we had two games a week. 1. NBC Saturday afternoon. 2. ABC Monday Night Baseball (sometimes). Very rarely did either feature the Reds. Note I didn't live in Cincinnati or anywhere else with a local team.

Then in the early 1980s WGN started showing the Cubs all the time and I saw the Reds there sometimes. Then WTBS and the Braves, same thing. Then ESPN got a contract and the rest is history, IMO baseball oversaturation. More interesting when I could rarely see it. I would sit down and watch a Minnesota-Boston game on Saturday if that was the one on. Nowadaways I don't know how much you would have to pay me to watch a Minnesota-Boston game on TV.

Other than that Sunday game, which I'm not sure why its not being shown, other than perhaps some obscure clause regarding competition w/ the NFL, I'd be at work listening on the radio anyhow, so I guess I won't worry about it too much.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I understand the weekday mid-afternoon games not being TV'd. But why the game listed above? FOX must have something more important like... uh, something. Afraid to compete with the NFL? I can remember many times of having two TVs side-by-side watching the Bengals and the REDS at the same time on a Sunday afternoon.

Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

In 1957 the Reds showed almost every road game on TV (and only a handful of home games) In the 70's we saw almost every road game as well.

Home games again were few and far between.

4 day games in September might not be shown... no strange thing.

Clinch games count on it being shown

This is one of the times those with Extra Innings gets an added benefit, they can watch the opposing team's feed. Outside of the Saturday national games, I think I can only remember 1 game this season where neither team's feed in the Reds game was televised.

Here's my question...the Reds televise 145 games I think, right? Is it really a difference maker to televise the others? The TV crew is already there from the prior nights and so is all of the equipment. Why not show them all?

The Mets and Yanks (albeit, richer teams and contracts) show every game.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is one of the times those with Extra Innings gets an added benefit, they can watch the opposing team's feed.
    The opposing team's feed is available throughout the country for those subscribers but the other team's feed is blacked out for anyone in the Reds viewing area.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    the Reds televise 145 games I think, right? Is it really a difference maker to televise the others? The TV crew is already there from the prior nights and so is all of the equipment. Why not show them all?
    Most of the advertising rates are determined by the average of the ratings of ALL televised games. If the lowest potentially rated games (weekday afternoons) are not televised, the rating would not be dragged down by these games where the ratings are half of what they normally are.

The opposing team's feed is available throughout the country for those subscribers but the other team's feed is blacked out for anyone in the Reds viewing area.

Most of the advertising rates are determined by the average of the ratings of ALL televised games. If the lowest potentially rated games (weekday afternoons) are not televised, the rating would not be dragged down by these games where the ratings are half of what they normally are.
    To your first point, I know that, I was just saying...it's one of the benefits of subscribing to Extra Innings.

As for your 2nd point, interesting! Thanks for sharing. It makes sense that day games in September probably aren't going to be viewed as much, but where they made a miscalculation is that if the Reds are competitive (as they are), more people will tune in. I guess there would've been no way of knowing that in advance. I still think it's lame when you have all of the equipment and personnel there. I'm hoping in the coming years this is less of an issue with the Reds having competitive teams on the field.

Turn Off Ads?