Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1973 Reds the Best Ever that Didn't Win the World Series?

1973 Reds the Best Ever that Didn't Win the World Series?

Interesting read from Forbes that proclaims the 1973 Reds the best ever team that didn't win the world series.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanri...-world-series/

one excerpt:

What really jumps out when looking into the greatest non-championship teams: the near-dynasty of Cincinnati during the first half of the 1970s. As much acclaim as the “Big Red Machine” did get, it was probably still underrated. Awhile back, we scored the 1975 version of the Reds, the first to break through and win the World Series, as the greatest ever (their 2.67 score, based on 108 wins, falls just slightly behind the 1973 club, and they didn’t blow it in the post season). The Reds clubs of 1970, ’73 and ’75 all rank in the top eight all time for regular season play, while the 1976 team also won a championship. As the saying goes, anything can happen in a short series. A handful of wins is all that separates the Big Red Machine from being the greatest seven-year dynasty ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: 1973 Reds the Best Ever that Didn't Win the World Series?

Quite a run there during the 70s.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Thanks for sharing the article. Let's hope this is just the beginning of a new possible dynasty.

The 1953 Giants were phenomenal. I'd vote them over the 1973 REDS.

Also, the 1971 Orioles were better, too.

1971 Orioles Starting Staff:

Mike Cuellar, 20-9, 3.08 ERA, 292 IP.
    Pat Dobson, 20-8, 2.90 ERA, 282 IP.
    Jim Palmer, 20-9, 2.68 ERA, 282 IP.
    Dave McNally, 21-5, 2.89 ERA, 224 IP.

The Orioles' Defense equaled the 1976 REDS.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Great article. The BRM WAS actually underrated.

PS Just recently watched the entire 1976 WS on DVD. They were even more awesome than I remembered. Yankee broadcaster Phil Rizzuto was calling all the games (along with Joe Garageola) and he kept saying, "Man these guys are good."

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post

PS Just recently watched the entire 1976 WS on DVD. They were even more awesome than I remembered. Yankee broadcaster Phil Rizzuto was calling all the games (along with Joe Garageola) and he kept saying, "Man these guys are good."
    Good idea, I'll have to do that one of these days. Because to be honest my memory is way to foggy to remember that far back. I remember bits and pieces but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post

I have some old copies on VHS and the quality is poor. Were you able to buy the 76 world series on DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I have some old copies on VHS and the quality is poor. Were you able to buy the 76 world series on DVD?
    "bootleg" (I presume) copy from somebody in Canada. Video quaility not the greatest, but sufficient to thoroughly enjoy the series. (Do a Google of 1976 World series DVD and you should find the seller.)

What struck me the most was how good the Reds were at EVERYTHING. Fundamentally sound. Bench and Perez, 2 of the top 5 RBI guys in the DECADE if I recall correctly, each shortened up and went the other way for singles (on GOOD pitches) in numerous situations. Perez made several eye-popping defensive plays at first, and of course the double paly combo was great. Also of course the speed on the bases, baserunning skill, and team defense were all SICK!

Turn Off Ads?