High five!

Jimenez to Tribe

Check it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.

Re: Jimenez to Tribe

That's a good haul.

No idea what the Rockies would have needed to top the Indians' offer, but if the Reds didn't do a deal because of reluctance to keep prospects -- Mesoraco or otherwise, shame on them.

It's time the Reds stand up and address the things clearly lacking. Top-end starting pitchers chief among them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Nice pickup by the Indians.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    No idea what the Rockies would have needed to top the Indians' offer, but if the Reds didn't do a deal because of reluctance to keep prospects -- Mesoraco or otherwise, shame on them.

It's time the Reds stand up and address the things clearly lacking. Top-end starting pitchers chief among them.
    I would keep Mesoraco rather than trade him in a package for Ubaldo.... but I think the Reds could have kept him and still topped the offer the Indians made. You have to wonder though, if the Reds simply having better top end guys (rumored with Mesoraco/Chapman) left the Indians looking elsewhere rather than taking less touted Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would keep Mesoraco rather than trade him in a package for Ubaldo.... but I think the Reds could have kept him and still topped the offer the Indians made. You have to wonder though, if the Reds simply having better top end guys (rumored with Mesoraco/Chapman) left the Indians looking elsewhere rather than taking less touted Reds.
    I tend to agree they probably could have topped the deal even without Mesoraco, but I would hate to think the Reds didn't do the deal because of that.

At this point, I don't care how good a prospect Mesoraco is or how good he could wind up being (and I think his ceiling is legit), but he's still unproven and it's time the Reds start favoring players that have actually performed at a high level if they want to get into the playoffs again and have success.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I tend to agree they probably could have topped the deal even without Mesoraco, but I would hate to think the Reds didn't do the deal because of that.

At this point, I don't care how good a prospect Mesoraco is or how good he could wind up being (and I think his ceiling is legit), but he's still unproven and it's time the Reds start favoring players that have actually performed at a high level if they want to get into the playoffs again and have success.
    This seems pretty short-sighted to me. Obviously, we all want the Reds to acquire help that helps the big club, but shrugging off Mes would be beyond foolish, imo.

It's pretty much a given that this season is lost, so as long as moves are made that improve this team for 2012 and beyond, fine. But I'm not too broken up not mortgaging the future for Jimenez. :shrug:

I just get the feeling that there's a reason (beyond your typical 'wanting to get better for the future' reasoning) why the Rockies are willing to trade Jimenez to begin with. Guess we'll see.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    This seems pretty short-sighted to me. Obviously, we all want the Reds to acquire help that helps the big club, but shrugging off Mes would be beyond foolish, imo.

It's pretty much a given that this season is lost, so as long as moves are made that improve this team for 2012 and beyond, fine. But I'm not too broken up not mortgaging the future for Jimenez. :shrug:
    But this is a move that would help them 2012 and beyond. He's under control for 2012 and 2013... so if the Reds don't want to trade for a rental, and don't want to trade for a guy that is affordable and under control for a few more years, who exactly do the Reds trade for?

Hoarding prospects will never get the Reds anywhere. Each window of opportunity will pass, the Reds will simply find themselves having to sell off, and at most the Reds might dabble in contention once in a while. They still have a good core... this kind of trade would send them into 2012 with something they don't have right now: a clear No. 1 starter.

I understand the reluctance to trade guys like Mesoraco, but sooner or later, unless you're the Phillies (apparently), you gotta part with your top prospects.

But this is a move that would help them 2012 and beyond. He's under control for 2012 and 2013... so if the Reds don't want to trade for a rental, and don't want to trade for a guy that is affordable and under control for a few more years, who exactly do the Reds trade for?

Hoarding prospects will never get the Reds anywhere. Each window of opportunity will pass, the Reds will simply find themselves having to sell off, and at most the Reds might dabble in contention once in a while. They still have a good core... this kind of trade would send them into 2012 with something they don't have right now: a clear No. 1 starter.

I understand the reluctance to trade guys like Mesoraco, but sooner or later, unless you're the Phillies (apparently), you gotta part with your top prospects.
    Or they could play for your mlb squad...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Or they could play for your mlb squad...
    Counting on rookies to come up and fill holes right away often doesn't work well.

Ask the Phillies about Domonic Brown. They tried that, and it wound up not working so they traded for Pence and sent Brown back to the minors.

BTW, for what its' worth, Ubaldo is still pitching tonight in Colorado, at least for now. So apparently the trade isn't 'final'

BTW, for what its' worth, Ubaldo is still pitching tonight in Colorado, at least for now. So apparently the trade isn't 'final'
    Nope, and ESPN is still reporting the Reds and Rockies are talking.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/68...ay-sources-say

Story was updated at 8:07 PM tonight, Cincinnati time.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

So that's what it looks like to go for it. Must be nice. And it's the Tribe of all teams. My goodness.

I really wanted the Reds to land this guy. Oh well.

This is not a done deal, but even if it was, giving up White and Pomeranz seems a little steep.

Does Cleveland plan on ponying up to keep him in a couple of years? They haven't shown the inclination to do so in the recent past.

And what of Ubaldo's health? The Rockies aren't even allowing a physical. Why not?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?