Thread: What do YOU want to talk about?

What do YOU want to talk about?

Dusty
    Lineups
    Advanced statistics
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Chemistry

Just a partial list of things we talk a lot about that also get a lot of push back over the fact that we talk about them.

In fact there are posters who seem to only post about not wanting to post about those things (that just made me dizzy)
    The question is, if not that stuff, what should we be talking about?

What are the things we are missing out of?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do YOU want to talk about?

When your team is 80-52 there are all kind of pleasant surprises along the way.

Do you remember when we were worried that Brosnon Arroyo was going to put up another ERA north of 5.00? Man, the dude produced.

What kind of credit does Walt get for picking up Alfredo Simon, JJ Hover, Todd Redmond, Dioner Navarro and Xavier Paul? In years past it seems like the reds got very attached to the last couple of slots on the 40 man roster. He's regularly turning those slots over to try and find gems.

How about that Mat Latos trade now? 11-4 with a 3.79 era and signs that he can pitch even better than he has? Hard to say that wasn't worth the cost.

Is this the best fielding reds team you've ever seen?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Hey Phil, you wearing a shirt?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

There are so many good things going on with the team right now that of course people are going to rant over and over again about the few things that could be improved somehow. That's how discussion boards work most of the time. I guess the board would be rather boring though if every other thread was a cheerleading thread for the team giving them mad props for having a complete and total kick butt season thus far but I wouldn't mind it since that's more fun to talk about than stats, lineups, and ranting about both of those things when someone says something that doesn't fit your argument, LOL

I'll admit I was slightly apprehensive about Mat when he first got here and had such a slow start, but I've seen the guy pitch in person a lot this season and what a turnaround he made after he finally let go of expectation and just pitched his game. He's a fantastic competitor and watching his complete game versus the Brewers in person earlier this season was an absolute treat. He's must see for me now and I cannot wait to watch him improve and get even better for the next few years.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dusty
    Lineups
    Advanced statistics
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Chemistry

Just a partial list of things we talk a lot about that also get a lot of push back over the fact that we talk about them.

In fact there are posters who seem to only post about not wanting to post about those things (that just made me dizzy)

If you find 3 or 4 post on the first page of a thread questing why such a thread was even started it's likely that thread will go on to be a very popular.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94278

I'd like to talk about biology. It's completely overshadowed by chemistry on this board.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dusty
    Lineups
    Advanced statistics
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Chemistry

I think the key thing is perspective. Of course being 80-52 doesn't make every decision the right one or exempt from criticism, but obviously something is balancing out the "wrong" decisions to this point.

So if we assume that a lineup featuring Chris Heisey in CF, Ryan Hannigan batting 2nd, and Drew Stubbs Left Out would be optimal in producing wins, how have the Reds compensated for that less than ideal lineup?

Have they just been lucky? Have they been so talented that anyone who saw that lineup on opening day would likely expect 100+ win?
    Have players out played their stats and should be expected to come crashing down?

The problem is that there are certain decisions which can only be measured as a negative.

No manager has made a tactical move in baseball that was so brilliant it "won" the game for the team.

Either they make a move that has the best chance at success.(Expected) They go with their gut, do something sub-optimal, and win(Lucky) or they go with their gut, do something sub-optimal and lose(Negative)

I think the best managers will over the course of time make the most optimal decision more often than lesser managers, and they will be more successful on the "sub-optimal" decisions they make than lesser managers.

I think Dusty probably fails at the first test, but succeeds at the 2nd test. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Nice try Heather, but I've decoded your message to see what you REALLY are wanting to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    There are so many good things going on with the team right now that of course people are going to rant over and over again about the few things that could be improved somehow. That's how discussion boards work most of the time. I guess the board would be rather boring though if every other thread was a cheerleading thread for the team giving them mad props for having a complete and total kick butt season thus far but I wouldn't mind it since that's more fun to talk about than stats, lineups, and ranting about both of those things when someone says something that doesn't fit your argument, LOL

I'll admit I was slightly apprehensive about Mat when he first got here and had such a slow start, but I've seen the guy pitch in person a lot this season and what a turnaround he made after he finally let go of expectation and just pitched his game. He's a fantastic competitor and watching his complete game versus the Brewers in person earlier this season was an absolute treat. He's must see for me now and I cannot wait to watch him improve and get even better for the next few years.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Reds as World Series Champions. And the possibility of more World Series Championships.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

What happened to the Reds cheerleaders?

There are supposed to be statues similar to the Bench one of Rose, Morgan and Perez outside the stadium, where are they going and when?

When did the helmet full of nachos show up on the menu? They looked good.

Anyone got a Reds tattoo? I just got one so I am cool.

Who will throw out the first pitch of Game 1 at the WS? Not Sean Casey please.

What Red would be the funnest to have a drink with? I am picking Phillips.

Who would win a fist fight between Chapman and Ludwick? I think if Chapman can avoid the knock out punch he would wear Ludwick down.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    What happened to the Reds cheerleaders?

There are supposed to be statues similar to the Bench one of Rose, Morgan and Perez outside the stadium, where are they going and when?

When did the helmet full of nachos show up on the menu? They looked good.

Anyone got a Reds tattoo? I just got one so I am cool.

Who will throw out the first pitch of Game 1 at the WS? Not Sean Casey please.

What Red would be the funnest to have a drink with? I am picking Phillips.

Who would win a fist fight between Chapman and Ludwick? I think if Chapman can avoid the knock out punch he would wear Ludwick down.
    He doesn't drink

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He doesn't drink
    I bet Hannigan does.

He is Irish like me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Let's talk about Bullpen carts

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I bet Hannigan does.

He is Irish like me.
    Speaking of Hanigan, I love the guy, but can we talk about what an odd looking man he is?

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Free pizza and ice cream deal for 11 K's
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?