Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Quits For Failing To Produce

For a Level Playing Field

Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Quits For Failing To Produce

A real man. Maybe not the smartest, but I applaud him.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/84...-salary-buyout

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins released Tsuyoshi Nishioka on Friday, ending their experiment with the Japanese middle infielder after two rough seasons. The move, which the Twins said came at Nishioka's request and was supported by the club, wasn't much of a surprise. But the way the 28-year-old went out was unique.

Accepting blame for his failure to produce at the plate or play capable defense at shortstop and second base, the Twins said Nishioka waived his right to his $3 million salary for the 2013 season and a $250,000 buyout. “I take full responsibility for my performance which was below my own expectations. At this time, I have made the decision that it is time to part ways. I have no regrets and know that only through struggle can a person grow stronger.

So they don't owe him any more money, and Nishioka is now a free agent. With guaranteed contracts, major league teams rarely are able to get off the payroll hook like this for players no longer in their plans. But Nishioka, in a statement released by the Twins, was nothing but graceful and generous. "I would like to thank the Twins organization for helping me fulfill my dream of playing in Major League Baseball," Nishioka said. "I take full responsibility for my performance which was below my own expectations. At this time, I have made the decision that it is time to part ways. I have no regrets and know that only through struggle can a person grow stronger. I appreciate all the support the team and the fans in Minnesota and Rochester have shown me."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Quits For Failing To Produce

So this was the baseball version of Hari Kari.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wonder what the player's union thinks of this...

An american player would bash management, his agent and anyone else except himself for his demise.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    An american player would bash management, his agent and anyone else except himself for his demise.
    That's a terribly sweeping statement George, and I don't think it's true as a whole. There certainly are plenty of players that fit that description, but not everyone is like that.

I agree with the aforementioned comment that the union can't possibly be too thrilled at this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Kenji Johjima did basically the same thing, I believe.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's a terribly sweeping statement George, and I don't think it's true as a whole. There certainly are plenty of players that fit that description, but not everyone is like that.

I agree with the aforementioned comment that the union can't possibly be too thrilled at this.
    I agree, my point was you will see an american blame their agent, management etc before they would ever blame themselves. Of course not all are like that.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Would most Americans forfeit the 250k buyout? Probably not.

But plenty of American players take responsibility for subpar seasons.. Dunn admited he didn't have the greatest conditioning last year, for example.

What player has blamed his agent or management for not being able to hit or field? I can't think of a single example. There's probably some, but I think it's a relatively small percentage of all the players that have had bad seasons.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I agree, my point was you will see an american blame their agent, management etc before they would ever blame themselves. Of course not all are like that.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't say it appears to be a growing tend in our society. It just seemed as if you're suggesting all or most American players lack humility and few would take responsibility for their own performance. If that's the charge, I think I must vote not guilty.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

At least he didn't fall on his sword.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But plenty of American players take responsibility for subpar seasons.. Dunn admited he didn't have the greatest conditioning last year, for example.
    Well what is "taking responsibility" then? Easy to do that with words. The Japanese player did it with $$$.

While admirable at some level, I don't think its fair to dishonor other players who do not forfeit pay for not performing, esp. in a sport where one does not have full control over their own performance.

The teams take a risk that a guy can do a job worth a certain amount of money in a business where its tough to point the finger at the player for his lack of performance, absent some kind of clear bad lifestyle issue. It isn't like he was sitting there not tending his machine or sitting at home and not calling on people for a sale. This isn't a piece rate or commission business.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Gil Meche forfeited 10M. I assume he's not Japanese.

And some fans would also point the finger at unreasonable expectations, how the manager used him, batting order spot, being rushed to the majors too early, the manager's hitting approach and other various excuses.

Do the Twins give refunds to season ticket holders for the lousy team they assembled?

Take the buyout and donate it to a charity.

Turn Off Ads?