Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

Re: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Heisey had 12 starts from Aug 29 to Sept 12 2010 and went .235/.250/.353.

That looks to be his longest stretch and where some of his rep was earned.
    If two weeks is the longest stretch, I don't think anyone can assert the rep is "earned."

You're referring to a stretch of only 50 plate appearances. If you're basing a rep off 50 PAs, you are grasping. No one earns a rep over 50 PAs. His career 800 PAs with a .768 OPS is far more telling than a cherry-picked, subset of 50 PAs from two years ago.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I sure hope so, Brutus. Heisey has never proven he can play well in long stretches as a starter, however, I have no doubt he will do better than Stubbs in that role. The bottom line: Heisey at least deserves a shot in September to be the everyday starting CF. We can all agree Stubbs hasn't gotten the job done. There is a guy in Heisey who is perhaps better. It's an easy call IMO.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It would be some performance level that would make Walt Jocketty say - "hey, Chris has really come along. He impressed us during this stint. He's so much better than Stubbs at the plate we need to start him often in CF."

I guess a .265 OBP, a .316 SLG, and a .582 OPS for that month didn't quite do the trick.
    The point I was trying to make is the small sample size. In 83 PA, I figure a difference between what Heisey did and average is four hits. The difference between average and "eyebrow elevation" is another four hits.

Stubbs back in CF today...

Paul in Left.....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Stubbs continuing to bat 2nd against righties makes Baby Jesus cry.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The point I was trying to make is the small sample size. In 83 PA, I figure a difference between what Heisey did and average is four hits. The difference between average and "eyebrow elevation" is another four hits.
    That's life in sports. Players like Heisey, guys without the big reputations, have to take advantage of their opportunities.

He can say, well, 8 more hits and I would have elevated your eyebrows. But the Reds' response is "next time get the 8 more hits."

Reds see a guy who is more helpful and productive off the bench. Playing all the outfield positions on a part time basis. It's up to Chris to disabuse them and MAKE them play him more. Frazier did it. So far, Chris hasn't when he's had the opportunity to play every day.

Dusty has good job mangaing this year but sometimes he just boggles the mind. Heisey has been hot lately but yet he benches him in favor strikeout king Stubbs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I was unaware that Stubbs was the strikeout king

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He's second in the National League in K rate and seventh in overall strike outs.

If he's not the King of K's, he's certainly a crown prince.

"So Fla Red"

I forgot who had the classic post. The more I see Stubbs the more I want Heisey, the more I see Heisey the more I want Stubbs...

Pretty much sums up the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I forgot who had the classic post. The more I see Stubbs the more I want Heisey, the more I see Heisey the more I want Stubbs...

Pretty much sums up the argument.
    Thanks for the acknowledgment.

FWIW, Dusty may be using Stubbs in Texas where he usually hits and is his home. Heisey is the hotter hitter right now. Guessing Chris will get more playing time against Philly. Maybe Chris spells Bruce v Hamels tomorrow.

Gametime is near, go Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Stubbs back in CF today...

Paul in Left.....
    Is Paul a viable alternative in CF against tough RH pitching?

I'm convinced Stubbs has pics of Dusty in a compromising position. There is no other scenario that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He's like Adam Dunn ... minus the home runs and walks.

Quite the player we have in Stubbs. I can guarantee you one thing: If he wasn't a former first-round pick, he'd be in the minors right now.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That's life in sports. Players like Heisey, guys without the big reputations, have to take advantage of their opportunities.

He can say, well, 8 more hits and I would have elevated your eyebrows. But the Reds' response is "next time get the 8 more hits."

Reds see a guy who is more helpful and productive off the bench. Playing all the outfield positions on a part time basis. It's up to Chris to disabuse them and MAKE them play him more. Frazier did it. So far, Chris hasn't when he's had the opportunity to play every day.
    My point is, I don't think 83 PA is enough of an indicator (yes, I understand the realities of things) nor do I think it's a matter of "trying harder" on Heisey's part.

Turn Off Ads?