Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Is Heisey now the incumbent?

#1 draft picks will be given a mile of rope to hang themselves. #10 or worse draft picks will be given a foot of rope.

2. Turn Off Ads?

To me the issue is that both Stubbs and Heisey have some talents to make them useful, but enough warts to make them somebody you'd look to replace if you have them in too big of a role. That's pretty much how its played out. Guys liike them can have a lot of value if they are mixed and matched properly. The problem is that to do that you need the right fit of players with complementary skills. Stubbs and Heisey are both guys who hit from the right side, have some power and speed and struggle to get on base. If there was a lefty version who excels against RHP to form the other half with either of them, you'd have one of the top CF situations in the league. Either of them playing full time or trying to fit together as pieces that just don't fit creates the relatively poor situation the Reds have had in CF this season.

In another thread, I saw where AZ had interest in Didi Gregorious. Package he and Heisey with something else (maybe Vidal) for Gerrardo Parra and the Reds would transform the CF problem to one of the most productive OF spots in the NL. Parra and his .350ish OBP VS RHP splitting time with Stubbs and his .785 OPS VS LHP with both players being plus defenders (though Stubbs is over-rated IMO) and CF would be a strength. You aren't always going to have a star at every position, but glaring weaknesses can be eliminated with the right mix of players. The Reds just have too much redundancy with these two players IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If Stubbs was Paul Blair in CF.....i could care less if he played every game....but he should still bat 7th and let Hanigan drive him in.

He is not Blair in CF however and H-C is not terrible enough in CF...to not warrant more use of him as a starter.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Big series for Heisey. But enjoy sitting on the bench the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Parra and his .350ish OBP VS RHP splitting time with Stubbs and his .785 OPS VS LHP with both players being plus defenders (though Stubbs is over-rated IMO) and CF would be a strength.
    Again, Stubbs isn't a plus defender.

Heisey's .750 OPS in CF and league average defense would be a relative plus all by himself, were he to play more often.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That's a big statement to make definitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Heisey's .750 OPS in CF and league average defense would be a relative plus all by himself, were he to play more often.
    I'd rather have a Parra/Stubbs platoon. Second choice would be a Parra/Heisey platoon. Third choice would be Parra full-time. Fourth choice would be a Heisey/Stubbs bizarro platoon. 5th Choice would be Heisey full-time. Last would be Stubbs every day.

Heisey is better than Stubbs as a full time player, but he's inadequate IMO. If they are limited to facing lefties while a LH bat plays aganst RHP, I'd rather have Stubbs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

One thing is for certain...Heisey is hot right now and should get more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    One thing is for certain...Heisey is hot right now and should get more playing time.
    Nope. Wrong. Sorry. Stubbs is faster. He should play every day. End of story.

Here's the new strategy the Reds should try. Get Stubbs to swing at the most uncatchable third strikes as often as possible and then fly to first before the catcher can throw him out. Once he gets two strikes, he should look for the worst pitch possible and flail at it wildly as he starts running to first. This will combine the two dominant characteristics of his arsenal -- speed and striking out - into a single weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post

Here's the new strategy the Reds should try. Get Stubbs to swing at the most uncatchable third strikes as often as possible and then fly to first before the catcher can throw him out. Once he gets two strikes, he should look for the worst pitch possible and flail at it wildly as he starts running to first. This will combine the two dominant characteristics of his arsenal -- speed and striking out - into a single weapon.
    The Little League Plan.

What the heck. Worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    #1 draft picks will be given a mile of rope to hang themselves. #10 or worse draft picks will be given a foot of rope.
    And it's made even more shocking because Heisey was a Reds Minor League Player of the Year before coming to "the show."

You would think they would give him a little bit more of a chance than they have, considering that and how bad Stubbs has looked at the plate this year in extended stretches.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    And it's made even more shocking because Heisey was a Reds Minor League Player of the Year before coming to "the show."
    Putting him in lofty company such as Stephen Smitherman.

Like to see him just given the job for a bit. 2 hits today (although I don't know if they were bloops or blasts) and I didn't see any complaints in the game thread about him defensively diving a ball into a triple.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post

If we still did rep points...
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Heisey has a .772 OPS, .777 career OPS and a .750 OPS as a starter. Time to keep this guy in CF as far as I'm concerned. At least until Hamilton is ready or they acquire a one-year bridge next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?