Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 WVU Football Thread

Re: 2012 WVU Football Thread

What a game yesterday. Watched the whole thing. Smith is definitely the Heisman frontrunner right now. Heck of a player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Geno is amazing. But wow is this WVU defense awful. Going to be very hard to win the Big XII if you need 70 points every week. Headed to Austin for the game next Saturday!

I wonder if we will ever see the day were a West Virginia offense has a Alabama type defense now with scholarship limits ? Offensive minded coaches want skill players on offense and vice versa with defensive minded coaches.

The last time you saw those type of teams were the Bama and Sooners teams of the 70's with both running the wishbone and those offenses could score as many points as they wanted on a given day.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

The Texas game will be an interesting game. Texas has the talent to slow down WVU's offense but it's a matter of if they will show up. They almost went down to Oklahoma State, which was my pick to be a high scoring affair instead of Baylor, and still very well could. Not to mention this is the Mountaineers first real road test this season.

The more success that WVU has, the more I would say to enjoy the ride. Geno and Tavon will both be gone after this season and I could see Stedman going pro as well. With a rebuilding project coming up after this season and the coaching carousel hitting full swing, I wonder if WVU will be able to keep Holgorsen from leaving for a higher profile coaching job.

If WVU gets past Texas, the two teams I seeing outside of Oklahoma giving WVU a contest are Kansas State and TCU, the latter of which I will be in attendance for.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The more success that WVU has, the more I would say to enjoy the ride. Geno and Tavon will both be gone after this season and I could see Stedman going pro as well. With a rebuilding project coming up after this season and the coaching carousel hitting full swing, I wonder if WVU will be able to keep Holgorsen from leaving for a higher profile coaching job.
    Knew I could count on you to throw some cold water on this season .

The Texas game will be an interesting game. Texas has the talent to slow down WVU's offense but it's a matter of if they will show up. They almost went down to Oklahoma State, which was my pick to be a high scoring affair instead of Baylor, and still very well could. Not to mention this is the Mountaineers first real road test this season.

If WVU gets past Texas, the two teams I seeing outside of Oklahoma giving WVU a contest are Kansas State and TCU, the latter of which I will be in attendance for.
    The thing about West Virginia though, you do something truly special it buys you a lot of time. Look at Nehlen he rode 88 and 93 goodwill for another decade. If Rodriguez doesn't choke vs Pittsburgh he is a demi-god. Stewart got more time because of the one night in the Arizona desert.

WVU will be able to be competitive in pay. We may not be able to match the Michigan's, the USC, etc but one thing I never understood. Why go somewhere and be one of many when you can stick at a job like a WVU and make that YOUR job. You have a chance to become like Bobby Bowden at FSU, like Bear Bryant at Alabama, like Woody Hayes at OSU, like Bo in Michigan. Why go somewhere that regardless of what you do you'll still be 2nd fiddle (or in some schools history 4th or 5th fiddle)? Just my opine.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The thing about West Virginia though, you do something truly special it buys you a lot of time. Look at Nehlen he rode 88 and 93 goodwill for another decade. If Rodriguez doesn't choke vs Pittsburgh he is a demi-god. Stewart got more time because of the one night in the Arizona desert.

WVU will be able to be competitive in pay. We may not be able to match the Michigan's, the USC, etc but one thing I never understood. Why go somewhere and be one of many when you can stick at a job like a WVU and make that YOUR job. You have a chance to become like Bobby Bowden at FSU, like Bear Bryant at Alabama, like Woody Hayes at OSU, like Bo in Michigan. Why go somewhere that regardless of what you do you'll still be 2nd fiddle (or in some schools history 4th or 5th fiddle)? Just my opine.
    Nehlen is the one coach that IMO exuded the most loyalty to WVU, even though the fans were ready to see him go when he did. He turned down Wisconsin which ultimately went to Barry Alvarez.

And while I do get your point with the coaches listed, you could argue that Bear Bryant could have stayed at Kentucky (or any of his other coaching stops), or Bobby Bowden could have stayed at West Virginia and not left for Florida State.

Coaches leave to pursue better jobs all the time, even the best ones. Some do stay, but Holgorsen has no ties to WV and is quickly becoming a rising star in coaching. If Tennessee comes open I wouldn't be surprised if Holgorsen isn't at the top of their list, especially if they want to make a splash after settling for Derek Dooley.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Nehlen is the one coach that IMO exuded the most loyalty to WVU, even though the fans were ready to see him go when he did. He turned down Wisconsin which ultimately went to Barry Alvarez.

And while I do get your point with the coaches listed, you could argue that Bear Bryant could have stayed at Kentucky (or any of his other coaching stops), or Bobby Bowden could have stayed at West Virginia and not left for Florida State.

Coaches leave to pursue better jobs all the time, even the best ones. Some do stay, but Holgorsen has no ties to WV and is quickly becoming a rising star in coaching. If Tennessee comes open I wouldn't be surprised if Holgorsen isn't at the top of their list, especially if they want to make a splash after settling for Derek Dooley.
    But at the same time Bobby Bowden didn't goto Army or Notre Dame. Florida State was an all girls school from 1905 until 1947. He made them relevant in football. Plus WVU ran off Bowden, he didn't leave.

Bryant was an alumni of Alabama and hence why he returned.

And coaches also risk becoming tales of horror that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Just wanted to chime in and say it's great to see WVU's success in the B12. As a former Big East team, I think it can't help but tear down the notion that the Big East was a second tier conference. WVU demonstrated that in a big way in last year's Orange Bowl, and they've continued the trend in the Big 12. Anyway, I hope for all the best for you guys.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Not really a fan of either team (Notre Dame fan actually) but I was at the game last night and I think that was one of the most fun games I've ever been to. There was a lot more yellow than I expected. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised though, almost everyone I meet that lives in Austin is from somewhere outside of Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Not really a fan of either team (Notre Dame fan actually) but I was at the game last night and I think that was one of the most fun games I've ever been to. There was a lot more yellow than I expected. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised though, almost everyone I meet that lives in Austin is from somewhere outside of Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second most fun football game I've ever attended, next to only the 2006 Sugar Bowl. Man, that place was loud. Louder than both the LSU and the Auburn games that I attended on the road.

Can't believe we gutted it out. Was truly an incredible football game.

Hey Big 12.... WE'RE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Hey Big 12.... WE'RE HERE!
    That's nice, now get out.

Signed,

Texas Tech

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This is what happens when you don't have a defense to back up a sandlot offense when its not excuting.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

I knew the defense was bad, and I knew that the offense was going to have a bad game eventually. But I did not expect to lose by 35 to an unranked team. However unlikely it is now, I think WVU still controls its own destiny in the Big 12 essentially (all they need is a TT loss), but I can't imagine WVU not losing at least one if not a few more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I knew the defense was bad, and I knew that the offense was going to have a bad game eventually. But I did not expect to lose by 35 to an unranked team. However unlikely it is now, I think WVU still controls its own destiny in the Big 12 essentially (all they need is a TT loss), but I can't imagine WVU not losing at least one if not a few more games.
    Kansas State and Oklahoma are really the toughest games WVU has left on paper. I say "on paper" because they seem to always play up to the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. but lay an egg against teams they should beat (Syracuse the past two years, now Texas Tech). Plus both are in Morgantown.

That being said, Texas Tech was the perfect storm. Emotional high coming off the Texas win, Kansas State next week. People have been blaming the wind, but Texas Tech IMO provided the blueprint on how to limit the Air Raid offense (Tommy Tuberville did coach in the SEC). Eliminate big plays and stop the run, and when Tavon and Stedman catch the ball, swarm to them like locusts. The wind was a factor, but when the WVU receivers caught the ball, they had nowhere to go.

I was more surprised WVU dropped to 17th in the AP poll. I was expecting 10-12.

Turn Off Ads?