Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Unproven kid. Prefer him to a vet who has proven he's done. If Rolen and Votto aren't available at the corner, H-Rod > Cairo.
    Where's this proof you speak of? Just last year Cairo had a very respectable .742 OPS.

Ever think that a .188 BABIP might have something to do with his OPS this year? If it were anyone else, people would be screaming about how unlucky someone is with a .188 BABIP.

I don't consider that proof of anything. Guys that are still putting the ball in play regularly haven't "proven he's done."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

AHH-REEE-DOHN-DOH as Thom calls him is simply not a good pitcher. Thank goodness we traded Juan Francisco for JJ Hoover. Now the little matter of actually using JJ Hoover (who is clearly better than Arredondo).

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    4-2 road trip. Just to keep things in perspective.
    Losing a series to Houston is unacceptable though. Especially not being able to score runs against their awful pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Nats retake the lead 3-2 over Cards, still up in the 7th.

Now 4-2 Nats over Cards.

Ondrusek warming up. Dusty's apparently throwing in the towel, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Losing a series to Houston is unacceptable though. Especially not being able to score runs against their awful pitching.
    It's not "unacceptable." It's baseball. Sometimes these things happen. Are we all of a sudden a bad team? Five months thrown out the window because of one series? We have a 8.5 game lead. I don't like losing this series. But it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Where's this proof you speak of? Just last year Cairo had a very respectable .742 OPS.

Ever think that a .188 BABIP might have something to do with his OPS this year? If it were anyone else, people would be screaming about how unlucky someone is with a .188 BABIP.

I don't consider that proof of anything. Guys that are still putting the ball in play regularly haven't "proven he's done."
    I guess I think the opposite. He has a .188 BABIP because he doesn't make good contact anymore. Guy is 38 and has a career OPS of .675. He's not a good defender anymore and does whatever damage he does do against LHP. If we're going to throw a corner IF spot away for the day, I'd rather see a kid who swings from the left side against a RH starting pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's not "unacceptable." It's baseball. Sometimes these things happen. Are we all of a sudden a bad team? Five months thrown out the window because of one series? We have a 8.5 game lead. I don't like losing this series. But it's not the end of the world.
    This Astros team would struggle to post a winning record in AAA. This is a pathetic showing for a team that has designs on a deep playoff run.

Also, why the heck is Dusty Baker pinch hitting with some scrub rookie in a 1-0 game with a runner on? I'm a big Baker supporter, but these roster-expansion callups have no business seeing action in any close games. Period. You have real major leaguers on your roster to handle situations like this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess I think the opposite. He has a .188 BABIP because he doesn't make good contact anymore. Guy is 38 and has a career OPS of .675. He's not a good defender anymore and does whatever damage he does do against LHP. If we're going to throw a corner IF spot away for the day, I'd rather see a kid who swings from the left side against a RH starting pitcher.
    His xBABIP is .320. His actual BABIP is .188. "Good contact" has little to do with it. He's not stinging the ball, so perhaps his BABIP would be expected to be slightly lower (though his xBABIP suggests otherwise), but he's still a hundred points lower than what he probably should be.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

No, they aren't a bad team. But you can't drop a series to the Astros, they are a team you have to get fat on.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No, they aren't a bad team. But you can't drop a series to the Astros, they are a team you have to get fat on.
    If you can't score runs on Bud Norris, you don't have a prayer in games against guys like Cain, Gonzalez and Kershaw.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

In 2000, the New York Yankees bombed in September, including getting swept in a 3 game series in Tampa when the Rays were every bit as bad as these Astros. I'm not saying this series isn't disappointing. Just trying to add a little bit of perspective here. It doesn't really matter that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you can't score runs on Bud Norris, you don't have a prayer in games against guys like Cain, Gonzalez and Kershaw.
    Really? Because we've already crushed Cain this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Exactly.This doesn't make me feel great about the offense. Thank God Joey is coming back soon.

Turn Off Ads?