Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 283

Thread: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

  1. #166
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In 2000, the New York Yankees bombed in September, including getting swept in a 3 game series in Tampa when the Rays were every bit as bad as these Astros. I'm not saying this series isn't disappointing. Just trying to add a little bit of perspective here. It doesn't really matter that much.
    It does if you want to avoid a 2 game trip to the west coast to open the first round of the playoffs.

    You have any faith that any Reds team (even this one) will win both those games -- against top pitching in ballparks that don't give up the home run ball easily? Because I don't.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It does if you want to avoid a 2 game trip to the west coast to open the first round of the playoffs.

    You have any faith that any Reds team (even this one) will win both those games -- against top pitching in ballparks that don't give up the home run ball easily? Because I don't.
    I do. So I guess we can agree to disagree. Our record isn't a fluke. People give this team no respect.

  4. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,731

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Cards strike back. Nats reliever Mattheus getting ahead then giving up hits. 4-3 Nats.

  5. #169
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you can't score runs on Bud Norris, you don't have a prayer in games against guys like Cain, Gonzalez and Kershaw.
    Bud Norris has a 3.68 ERA at home in his career and 2.09 this year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #170
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In 2000, the New York Yankees bombed in September, including getting swept in a 3 game series in Tampa when the Rays were every bit as bad as these Astros. I'm not saying this series isn't disappointing. Just trying to add a little bit of perspective here. It doesn't really matter that much.
    But it could, that's the thing. Yes they have a huge lead but we all saw last year what kind of a run the Cardinals are capable of going on. I want as much distance between us and the Cardinals as possible, and the Astros are a team you need to beat. It's not the end of the world, but it's not good, and I hope they aren't taking it lightly. There's still a lot of baseball left.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  7. #171
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    BRRUUUUUUUCE
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  8. #172
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It's not "unacceptable." It's baseball. Sometimes these things happen. Are we all of a sudden a bad team? Five months thrown out the window because of one series? We have a 8.5 game lead. I don't like losing this series. But it's not the end of the world.
    Someone that understands the nature of the game.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  9. #173
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Holy Crap
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  10. #174
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wise, Va.
    Posts
    758

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    You guys have little faith
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

  11. #175
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,834

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    His xBABIP is .320. His actual BABIP is .188. "Good contact" has little to do with it. He's not stinging the ball, so perhaps his BABIP would be expected to be slightly lower (though his xBABIP suggests otherwise), but he's still a hundred points lower than what he probably should be.
    .654 OPS against RHP for his career. .440 this year. BABIP or no, at 38 with pretty much no defensive value, he doesn't get a sniff against a RHP.

    IMO, a question mark is preferable to a guy who is known to be poor. If we're throwing spots away with a Sunday Special, I'd rather see the LH kids play against a RHP. If not H-Rod, then Didi.

    Wow, Bruce. Woo Hoo.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #176
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I do. So I guess we can agree to disagree. Our record isn't a fluke. People give this team no respect.
    The record is what the record is, but the team's warts have shown the last few weeks regarding ability to string together base hits to score runs. They desperately need Joey Votto back to be the guy who can get on base and drive in runs without hitting a home run.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #177
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,684

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Everything we just said about this team is now wrong.

  14. #178
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Jay Bruce is strong.

    And Earl Weaver is sated.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  15. #179
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The record is what the record is, but the team's warts have shown the last few weeks regarding ability to string together base hits to score runs. They desperately need Joey Votto back to be the guy who can get on base and drive in runs without hitting a home run.
    I agree. Look, this team's warts are what they are. They aren't going away. But everyone in the NL has warts.

  16. #180
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: 9/2/12 - Reds at Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    .654 OPS against RHP for his career. .440 this year. BABIP or no, at 38 with pretty much no defensive value, he doesn't get a sniff against a RHP.

    IMO, a question mark is preferable to a guy who is known to be poor. If we're throwing spots away with a Sunday Special, I'd rather see the LH kids play against a RHP. If not H-Rod, then Didi.

    Wow, Bruce. Woo Hoo.
    Fine, I never said he was a great hitter (nor have I had anything to say about his defense). But he's still a better hitter right now than Henry Rodriguez is.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25