Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NL MVP

Re: 2012 NL MVP

The best player in the National League this season is Ryan Braun and for that reason he should get the MVP Award. Braun provided more value to his team than any other player -- it is not his fault his team squandered that value.

Andrew McCutchen and Buster Posey have also been awesome. David Wright, Carlos Gonzalez, Aramis Ramirez, Matt Holiday and Giancarlo Stanton too.

Joey Votto, Matt Kemp and Carlos Ruiz have been fantastic too but missed too much time during the season.

To me the MVP is meaningless if it doesn't go to the best player in the league. There have been many occasions in the past when the award was gifted to players who played on good teams but were very obviously not anywhere close to being the best player in the league that year, and that has cheapened the award to the point of irrelevance to many people who enjoy the history of baseball. If the award does not indicate the winner was the best player then what is the point?

The Reds team MVP is Johnny Cueto. He is having the best season on the team this year. If you want to limit the MVP to a position player then I would give the award to Jay Bruce. Joey Votto is obviously a much better player and played far better while he was active, but he has just missed too many games and missed those games during the key stretch when the Reds dominated the league. Jay Bruce has led the team in all the productivity stats and deserves the award, but several players have had excellent seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Buster Posey for me until/unless someone else earns it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

To those who said David Wright isn't in the conversation is flat out wrong. Check his stats. He's played outstanding defense at a premium position (UZR rating of +10) with a .910 OPS (including the best walk rate in the NL). His home run numbers are down this year, which will probably prevent him from winning it, but his numbers are very good.

I think a possible darkhorse candidate may be Michael Bourne. He's got the highest UZR rating of anyone in baseball at +21 and he leads 2nd place by 5 points. I think his batting average needs to come up a tad (currently at .285), but that could be easy. He has the most steals in the NL. Not your traditional MVP, but he's quietly having a fabulous season and on a good team no less.

At this point though, it looks like it's Braun's to lose though.

Tough call. McCutchen was the choice until he faded. I like Chapman, but Kimbrel is just as dominant. I don't think Braun gets a repeat after last off-season. Votto's injury knocks him out. Same with Stanton. I think Wright is not considered because of his team's record. Kemp missed half the year. Melky had a shot until the testing.

Posey or Holliday might be the guys. McCutchen still has a shot as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    To those who said David Wright isn't in the conversation is flat out wrong. Check his stats. He's played outstanding defense at a premium position (UZR rating of +10) with a .910 OPS (including the best walk rate in the NL). His home run numbers are down this year, which will probably prevent him from winning it, but his numbers are very good.

I think a possible darkhorse candidate may be Michael Bourne. He's got the highest UZR rating of anyone in baseball at +21 and he leads 2nd place by 5 points. I think his batting average needs to come up a tad (currently at .285), but that could be easy. He has the most steals in the NL. Not your traditional MVP, but he's quietly having a fabulous season and on a good team no less.

At this point though, it looks like it's Braun's to lose though.
    Wright and Braun aren't in the conversation unless voters are suddenly going to start giving the award to players on bad teams. And since that almost never happens, I think it's safe to say they don't stand much of a chance. And let's not forget, Braun's image is tarnished.

Neither will win the award.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Tough call. McCutchen was the choice until he faded. I like Chapman, but Kimbrel is just as dominant. I don't think Braun gets a repeat after last off-season. Votto's injury knocks him out. Same with Stanton. I think Wright is not considered because of his team's record. Kemp missed half the year. Melky had a shot until the testing.

Posey or Holliday might be the guys. McCutchen still has a shot as well.
    I agree Braun won't get it because of the PEDs brouhaha and people won't be inclined to vote for him this year for that reason, but he deserves to win it nonetheless. Of course there is still a month left in the season and things will likely look different on October 1st.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I still think the voters will go with the feel-good story and give it to McCutchen. Yeah, he's slumped lately, but I think he rebounds the last month.

However, a monster final month...and you never know. My preseason prediction just might come true. Bruce wins with Joey in the top 5. Longshot, but fun to think about. :O)

High five!

To me, it's pretty easily Braun. .419 wOBA is Votto-lite!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    To me, it's pretty easily Braun. .419 wOBA is Votto-lite!
    I agree as he has simply been the best player in the league. But do you think the voters will choose him? If not him, who?

I find the question of who the voters will choose (despite the flawed thought process) more fascinating.

High five!

I can't see Bruce or Ludwick in the MVP conversation. If we're talking non-Votto Reds, I'd say BP or Cueto. However, I think they're probably not realistically in the mix.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Interesting choice. Now, if you were to do that, wouldn't you have to open the conversation up for Yadier Molina?
    Yes. I don't like Molina, but he's put up great numbers and leadership for the Cards.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If you want to award the MVP based on performance, Ryan Braun has to be in the conversation. I realize he won't even sniff it because of the steroid kerfuffle, but he's been one of the 3 or 4 best position players in the NL this year -- right there with Wright, McCutchen, Posey, etc.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Wright and Braun aren't in the conversation unless voters are suddenly going to start giving the award to players on bad teams. And since that almost never happens, I think it's safe to say they don't stand much of a chance. And let's not forget, Braun's image is tarnished.

Neither will win the award.
    You are awfully sure of yourself.

If the season ended today I would vote for Posey, but if Jay has a September like his May he could get on a roll and win it.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Another home run and two more RBIs for Bruce today. I don't think the guy is MVP caliber but, he's certainly a lot better than some on Redszone would have you to believe.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Turn Off Ads?