Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NL MVP

Re: 2012 NL MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Interesting choice. Now, if you were to do that, wouldn't you have to open the conversation up for Yadier Molina?
    I have no idea how Molina stacks up head to head with other contenders, but I've come to have a healthy respect for Yadier Molina. He seems to regularly be clutch when he's at the plate.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Based on what? I don't see how Wright is even in the conversation.
    Based on his performance. He's having a heck of a year even if the Mets suck.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think I'd vote Ludwick over Jay at this point.
    Really? Any particular reason?

I'll be pretty surprised if Bruce doesn't pass Ludwick in OPS by the end of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Oh this should be good. Bruce has more HRs, RBIs, and a better OPS than Ludwick.

Lets hear the logic behind this comment.
    Let's not forget that Jay also plays better defense. However, Ludwick does have the better wOBA (.377 vs. .360).

Additionally, I also think Bruce should get more credit than Ludwick due to the fact that he has roughly 25% more PAs and therefore has benefitted the Reds more often.

I honestly don't know who will win the MVP if it was handed out today. McCutchen did seem like a good bet, but with his team falling apart, I don't know if he would still get it.

In 1965, Twins' shortstop Zolio Versalles was the MVP in the AL. Besides leading the AL in strikeouts with 122, he hit .273 with a line of .319/.462/.781.

I was only 12-years-old but felt the Saturday Game of the Week announcers started the ball rolling by campaigning for him. Tony Oliva, Harmon Killebrew, and others had better statistics and were also were also deserving that season.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I'll be pretty surprised if Bruce doesn't pass Ludwick in OPS by the end of the season.
    One particular reason for me: Ludwick has been more valuable to the Reds than Bruce.

It's a real longshot, but if Cueto ends up finishing strong with a low 2.00 ERA and 20 wins does he throw himself in the mix too?

An Olney or a Heyman type guy will probably end up deciding this thing anyway. One column in mid-September will snowball into media momentum and determine the winner, should no one clearly separate themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    It's a real longshot, but if Cueto ends up finishing strong with a low 2.00 ERA and 20 wins does he throw himself in the mix too?
    Both long shots, but not outside the realm. One of the two would have to be player of the month in September to have a chance.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Bruce IS catching fire right now... But I think that fire gets put out with 10 games or so to go due to the Reds clinching up the Division...

Dark Horse could be Chappy.
    Chapman has to be considered and I can't see him being a real dark horse.Where would the Reds be without him?If its a true award of who was the most valuable to his teams success then he has to be given a very good look.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Based on his performance. He's having a heck of a year even if the Mets suck.
    He's the Mets' MVP, for sure but he won't get any serious consideration for the NL MVP.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

It's Posey for me today, with Wright a close second. McCutchen wouLd have to have quite the September to change my mind.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    One particular reason for me: Ludwick has been more valuable to the Reds than Bruce.
    That's my reasoning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    While Ludwick has definitely helped this team immensely (don't get me wrong, he is a big part of this successful season); but if you look at his, as well as Bruce's, pre-AS/post-AS numbers, and while both have had their "streaks", Bruce has been more "quietly" consistent then Ryan.

Bruce leads the team in Runs (77), RBI (87), TB (244), and HR (29).

I don't know if Bruce should be in the consideration for NL MVP..... but he should as far the team goes.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-03-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?