Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2012 NL MVP

Re: 2012 NL MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    There are 11 players in the NL with an OPS higher than Bruce.

What exactly is your point?

It's likely not a very good one.
    My point is that someone was getting on my case for predicting that Bruce was on the verge of one of his infamous slumps. That's it. And, by the way, my prediction was correct. That's all.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's between Posey and McCutchen now IMO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

There are 11 players in the NL with an OPS higher than Bruce.

What exactly is your point?

It's likely not a very good one.
    What's your point? Unless you're arguing that Jay deserves an MVP right now, I feel like this is another case of over exaggerating the opinion of Bruce's critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What's your point? Unless you're arguing that Jay deserves an MVP right now, I feel like this is another case of over exaggerating the opinion of Bruce's critics.
    My point is that complaining about EVERY slump that a very good player goes through to negatively value the player is pointless. It's a joke that the moment a player literally struggles for 9 at-bats to be criticized. I don't see how that is fair after his hot streak. Was the same poster pumping his tires after each and every homerun he hit the last month? I don't think so.

But neither was I.

I'm calling for the collective valuation of the player. I think he should be valued based on his total sample. Those calling him an MVP over small samples are wrong to do so. But it's definitely more annoying to read the negative side after 9 at bats, not to mention, the strutting that the poster was somehow "right" after another 8 string of at-bats. I simply don't care to evaluate multiple stints of various streaks.

The net results puts him into a class just below the elite. It's hard for me to go out of my way to find issues like that. It's not hard for me to find ways to find issue with those that do.

Was the same poster pumping his tires after each and every homerun he hit the last month? I don't think so.
    Yep. I'm the one who started the thread saying he was playing his way into the MVP discussion. Then I sniffed one of his epic slumps about to happen...and it did.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Yep. I'm the one who started the thread saying he was playing his way into the MVP discussion. Then I sniffed one of his epic slumps about to happen...and it did.
    Wow, I definitely missed that. Have you considered not being so bipolar in evaluating players?

Wow, I definitely missed that. Have you considered not being so bipolar in evaluating players?
    If anyone's bipolar, it's Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?