Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Retired

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

For those that thought Kelly left on bad terms, the Jones fiasco makes Kelly look like a consummate professional.

There has been absolutely nothing from UC on any of this either, not even a general statement about working on a counter offer, nothing. At this point it doesn't matter much if Jones leaves or not, there are a lot of unhappy UC supporters right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I wonder how Butch looks in orange? Twitter has him as the front-runner to head to Knoxville.

Edit: this is looking more like a done deal. Players meeting tomorrow morning.
    I hadn't heard that he's even interviewed with the Vols yet. If we've learned anything, we ought to be very careful about using the phrase "done deal"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Makes sense given he turned Colorado down. I know UT fans are NOT happy if it turns out to be Jones, especially since Tennessee beat Cincinnati with Jones at the helm.

Given the history, wonder if Dan Enos will get a call if Butch ends up being the guy?
    I think Butch would be a fine choice. UT played their best game of the year in beating UC under Jones. By that standard they'd prefer Joker Phillips 'cause he beat them.

I'd love Dana Holgorsen but quite honestly I don't think the jump from UWV now that they're in the Big 12 would be enough to make him leave the Mountaineers. For that reason, I haven't even seen his name mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    For those that thought Kelly left on bad terms, the Jones fiasco makes Kelly look like a consummate professional.
    No kidding.

When all of this started I hoped UC would find a way to keep Butch Jones around for a year or two but at this point I think UC would be best served by parting ways.

Butch Jones has done nothing but shop for other jobs for the past two years and after the flirtations with the likes of Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado and now Tennessee it's abundantly clear Butch is looking for a way out of town. I can understand part of the reason why he feels that way and I don't harbor any ill will towards him but it's gotten to the point where it's probably in UC's best interest to turn the page.

How could you possibly have the guy out there asking fans and recruits to buy into the program when it's obvious he is looking to cash out?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    No kidding.

When all of this started I hoped UC would find a way to keep Butch Jones around for a year or two but at this point I think UC would be best served by parting ways.

Butch Jones has done nothing but shop for other jobs for the past two years and after the flirtations with the likes of Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado and now Tennessee it's abundantly clear Butch is looking for a way out of town. I can understand part of the reason why he feels that way and I don't harbor any ill will towards him but it's gotten to the point where it's probably in UC's best interest to turn the page.

How could you possibly have the guy out there asking fans and recruits to buy into the program when it's obvious he is looking to cash out?
    If he doesn't end up at Tennessee tomorrow, I am not sure how he would handle it. Not only has he burned the bridge here, he's nuked it. What gets me is the lying and charade he put on about the Colorado job. He was so torn, etc. What a crock.

The irony, I would say about 95% of Tennessee fans want nothing to do with him, they are ready to riot if he's hired.

Goodbye, Butch Jones.

Tennessee selected Cincinnati's Butch Jones as its fourth football coach six seasons, ending a tumultuous couple of days for both parties.The university has scheduled a news conference for 2:30 p.m. Friday to announce the hiring, which was first reported by VolQuest.com. Cincinnati already has announced Jones' resignation.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2EN8luPG0

While I'm sure it's tough to go through so many coaches in a short period, I applaud UC for not promising unrealistic facility upgrades, salary increases, etc. UC can't afford to get into the arms race right now. Otherwise, they'd find themselves in a situation like Rutgers and Maryland. Geography bailed those two athletic departments out big time...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I thought Dantonio was a very good coach. Think MSU is the best possible place for him.

I thought Kelly was great as a Cincinnati coach. His loud mouth, calling out fans, etc. works well in a place like Cincinnati. I thought he would be a failure at ND. If he beats Alabama his legacy is set. If he loses I still don't see him as anything different than Charlie Weiss.

I was kinda meh on Butch Jones. I thought he did a decent job, but he didn't win a depleted Big East. Kelly took the team two two BCS bowls, Butch didn't. Butch stuck with Munchie and really hurt his chances of winning the Big East. UC can do better than Butch but at the same time they could do worse. IMO Dantonio and Kelly were keepers, Butch not so much.

As for UT, thats one heck of a gig for Jones. You can win at UT, you can compete at UT, you have top notch facilities than places like UC, and even the Bengals can dream about. You have a fan base that will show up 100,000 strong each and every game. You have a team that doesn't have to worry about conference affiliation. I don't fault Butch one iota for taking the UT job, its much better than UC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    While I'm sure it's tough to go through so many coaches in a short period, I applaud UC for not promising unrealistic facility upgrades, salary increases, etc. UC can't afford to get into the arms race right now. Otherwise, they'd find themselves in a situation like Rutgers and Maryland. Geography bailed those two athletic departments out big time...
    How do you know what they offered and didn't offer? His decision to leave was about a lot more than facilities upgrades.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought Dantonio was a very good coach. Think MSU is the best possible place for him.

I thought Kelly was great as a Cincinnati coach. His loud mouth, calling out fans, etc. works well in a place like Cincinnati. I thought he would be a failure at ND. If he beats Alabama his legacy is set. If he loses I still don't see him as anything different than Charlie Weiss.

I was kinda meh on Butch Jones. I thought he did a decent job, but he didn't win a depleted Big East. Kelly took the team two two BCS bowls, Butch didn't. Butch stuck with Munchie and really hurt his chances of winning the Big East. UC can do better than Butch but at the same time they could do worse. IMO Dantonio and Kelly were keepers, Butch not so much.

As for UT, thats one heck of a gig for Jones. You can win at UT, you can compete at UT, you have top notch facilities than places like UC, and even the Bengals can dream about. You have a fan base that will show up 100,000 strong each and every game. You have a team that doesn't have to worry about conference affiliation. I don't fault Butch one iota for taking the UT job, its much better than UC.
    Now that's rich. Kelly takes a bunch of Weiss recruits to the NC game and he's no different than Weiss?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Now that's rich. Kelly takes a bunch of Weiss recruits to the NC game and he's no different than Weiss?
    I meant it in that both Weiss and Willingham had a great deal of success early on in their tenure at ND. Both went to BCS bowl games and both had the ND faithful hopeful. IMO the difference between this ND team is a missed 30 yard FG against Pitt or an awful call against Stanford. If Kelly's ND team beats Alabama I will change my tune.

I meant it in that both Weiss and Willingham had a great deal of success early on in their tenure at ND. Both went to BCS bowl games and both had the ND faithful hopeful. IMO the difference between this ND team is a missed 30 yard FG against Pitt or an awful call against Stanford. If Kelly's ND team beats Alabama I will change my tune.
    Willingham had the following seasons: 10-3, 5-7, and 6-5. He ended the season ranked just one time at #17. Weiss had seasons of 9-3, 10-3, 3-9, 7-6, and 6-6. His highest end of the season ranking was 11.

Kelly has gone 8-5, 8-5, and 12-0. He got this team to a NC game, when Willingham and Weiss never even sniffed one. I'd also argue that he has waaaay less talent than Willingham and Weiss' early teams. Kelly doesn't even have a legitimate starting QB, yet he's in the NC game.

As far as the FG against Pitt and the "bad call" against Stanford, every team benefits from luck. If it wasn't for atrocious clock management by the opposition, Alabama would be a two loss team and they wouldn't even be in the NC game.

I agree. It might be unreasonable, but I'm disappointed that he couldn't win an outright BE championship this season. I truly believe that a better coach would have.

I hope he wins big at Tennessee. I appreciate that he didn't drag the UT process out and got it over with. Taking that job was a no brainer to me, if it or Wisconsin was offered he absolutely had to take it.

Turn Off Ads?