Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

There are a couple of interesting articles in the Enquirer this morning. The first takes a peek inside UC's efforts to lobby for a spot in the ACC:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

The second confirms that UC will announce plans to upgrade Nippert (and hopefully other facilities):

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...nclick_check=1
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Collaros played 2 full seasons at QB for Jones. (2010 and 2011)

UC also had 2 players drafted in the 2nd round, 1 in the 3rd, and 1 in the 4th last year.
    I'd argue that he did fine with those players.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    UC fans will either love Tubs or hate him. Most will love him. Regardless he's a large personality who is always good for a quote. He's a very fiery kind of guy, very competitive. I think Cincy will love him especially if he's decided this is his last stop (his wife is from nearby in Indiana).

While at Auburn his teams had a reputation for slobber knocking... you knew you were in for a fight regardless of records, you never came into Jordan-Hare expecting to win, and while you may win, you'd still be feeling the game the following Friday. Players developed in his program too. I'm not sure how dedicated he is to recruiting at this point, but he can take a three star guy and coach him up to be a NFL player. That's perfect for Cincy because I don't care how good a staff recruits, in Ohio, it's getting the guys that OSU doesn't want (its one reason why 10 win seasons with a BIG 10 schedule by OSU just isn't that impressive).

We know that a good coach can win in Cincinnati. Tuberville is a good coach. All that remains to be seen IMHO is if he still has good legs under him and whether he'll implode. But having an AD that is clearly on his side, a general lack of boosters getting in his business, and a media market that frankly is kind of wussy gives this marriage a good chance of working out.

It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff and where Cincy ends up with the Big East seemingly in it's death throws... A solid staff that recruits like it's life depends upon it and a move to a better conference situation could be a huge deal for Cincinnati football.

Also, whatever conference that the Bearcats end up joining needs to demand that they significantly upgrade the football facilities. It's vital for Cincy's long term ability to compete IMHO.
    TT is a class act and I recall his teams were very disciplined and didn't beat themselves. He is a defensive minded coach so I'm particularly interested in who he hires as his Offensive Coordinator.

By the way, can a school interview a guy like TT without getting permission from Texes Tech? It sures seems that way. It's a wild, wild west out there where head coaches are concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    TT is a class act and I recall his teams were very disciplined and didn't beat themselves. He is a defensive minded coach so I'm particularly interested in who he hires as his Offensive Coordinator.

By the way, can a school interview a guy like TT without getting permission from Texes Tech? It sures seems that way. It's a wild, wild west out there where head coaches are concerned
    I think common courtesy is to ask permission. During the recent Charlie Strong saga, Jurich made a point of acknowledging the class UT showed throughout the process while taking a shot at Auburn who did not show the same respect.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I think common courtesy is to ask permission. During the recent Charlie Strong saga, Jurich made a point of acknowledging the class UT showed throughout the process while taking a shot at Auburn who did not show the same respect.
    Yeah, it's funny but Whit took a jab at an unnamed school for not contacting him ahead of time. I assume it was either Purdue or Colorado. Whit turned around and did the same thing, although I think the circumstances were slightly different.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Whit called Texas Tech and left two voice mails with this AD prior to contacting Tommy Tuberville. I suppose he didn't have "permission", but it wasn't due to him not trying. I can't fault him for Texas Tech not answering their phone.

Also, Whit commented during his press conference that Tennessee was the only school to request permission to speak with Butch Jones. He stated that it is rare today but a very important action for him.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    There were some big consequences for how Auburn handled jet gate when Petrino was at Louisville.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Whit called Texas Tech and left two voice mails with this AD prior to contacting Tommy Tuberville. I suppose he didn't have "permission", but it wasn't due to him not trying. I can't fault him for Texas Tech not answering their phone.

Also, Whit commented during his press conference that Tennessee was the only school to request permission to speak with Butch Jones. He stated that it is rare today but a very important action for him.
    My point is why isn't it illegal to discuss a new job with a head coach who's currently under contract to a school? It goes without saying that asking permission is the ethical thing to do but if the school doesn't technically have to grant it, so what? It's bad enough that coaching contracts don't seem to mean much these days but I'd think that a school paying a coach should at least retain the power to approve the dealings, give deadlines etc.

My point is why isn't it illegal to discuss a new job with a head coach who's currently under contract to a school? It goes without saying that asking permission is the ethical thing to do but if the school doesn't technically have to grant it, so what? It's bad enough that coaching contracts don't seem to mean much these days but I'd think that a school paying a coach should at least retain the power to approve the dealings, give deadlines etc.
    I'd think that would have to be written into the contract. Something along the lines of "If another school calls to discuss coaching situation, you are required to inform the university of said contact within XYZ Hours and have XYZ days to make a decision."

Tack on a big addition to the buyout for failure to follow this procedure.

The only downside is unless every school did it, I don't think many coaches would agree to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'd think that would have to be written into the contract. Something along the lines of "If another school calls to discuss coaching situation, you are required to inform the university of said contact within XYZ Hours and have XYZ days to make a decision."

Tack on a big addition to the buyout for failure to follow this procedure.

The only downside is unless every school did it, I don't think many coaches would agree to it.
    It is that way for professional head coaches like the NFL and MLB. The Red Sox couldn't talk contract with John Farrell unless the Blue Jays OK'd it. I don't see why college contracts are handled differently

When I was a teenager, I interviewed for a job at Domino's when I was still employed by Thriftway. It may not have been ethical, but I got a an 80-cent-per-hour raise out of it.

Is UC football really better off by having an older coach who has made this his destination or a younger hungry coach trying to move up the ladder?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Retired

It is that way for professional head coaches like the NFL and MLB. The Red Sox couldn't talk contract with John Farrell unless the Blue Jays OK'd it. I don't see why college contracts are handled differently
    College football is one of the dirtiest businesses on earth. I don't know why they have contracts at all, they aren't honored. Just write them a simple offer letter to outline compensation and have them be an at will employee, they are essentially anyway.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Is UC football really better off by having an older coach who has made this his destination or a younger hungry coach trying to move up the ladder?
    I think at this point in the development of the program, they needed an experienced coach with name recognition. That, combined with planned facility upgrades, demonstrates commitment to football which will help with getting out of the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When I was a teenager, I interviewed for a job at Domino's when I was still employed by Thriftway. It may not have been ethical, but I got a an 80-cent-per-hour raise out of it.
    Were you signed to a 6 yr contract with Thriftway at the time?

Turn Off Ads?