Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 393

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

  1. #376
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Tubs hasnt changed:

    Within the last couple of months, new Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville has been accused of going postal on an assistant coach, leaving Texas Tech recruits in the middle of dinner to accept a new job, and now running off longtime recruits at Cincy (AP)


    Pebblebrook High School defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

    “I think it’s messed up,” his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. “You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

    “Now we’re left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn’t talked to other coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

    “It’s really disappointing.”

    The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among others, last summer. Tuberville was hired by Cincinnati on Dec. 8. After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

    “They told us to ‘look other places,’” Monday said. “I’m in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

    “The thing is, we’ve talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven’t heard from the staff. Basically (Tuberville) isn’t calling anybody, he’s trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

    “It’s a bad situation.”


    He did this at Auburn and Texas Tech.
    I've heard no reports of him of "going postal" on an assistant coach; he did not leave dinner to accept another job as he wasn't even contacted by Whit until the next day; and, coaches don't extend offers to the previous coach's recruits ALL THE TIME.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #377
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds like Tuberville isn't interested in this kid. Just because Butch was doesn't mean this administration is, so what's the problem?
    It's the protocol of the thing. Everyone understands that a new staff may not want to sign everyone the old staff had offered. But if a kid has committed to the school, it's good form for the new staff to let him know he needs to look elsewhere -- as in, actually tell him, not just wait until he infers it from the lack of communication. Signing Day is fast approaching, he'll have to find a spot somewhere, take visits etc.

    More to the point, it's not a good idea to tick off high school coaches in your own state that are a frequent source of major-college prospects.
    Not all who wander are lost

  4. #378
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    as island red said, its poor form.

    Towards the end of his tenure, many of the HS coaches around the state began to resent John Cooper and it showed in his instate recruiting. One of the early things that Tressel was able to accomplish (something he already had from his Youngstown St days) was to strengthen the bond b/w Ohio State and HS coaches around the state. Tressell became very good at putting up a border around the state and lost very few in-state recruits that he wanted.

    Tuberville has the right to offer scholarships as he sees fit, and I think most HS coaches would understand if he told one of their kids that there was no longer a place for that kid at UC. However, by slow playing it and offering up no contact the affected HS coaches, and those that he talks to are going to have reservations about recommending UC/Tubberville to future kids/parents.

  5. #379
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    275

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I've heard no reports of him of "going postal" on an assistant coach; he did not leave dinner to accept another job as he wasn't even contacted by Whit until the next day; and, coaches don't extend offers to the previous coach's recruits ALL THE TIME.

    While I do think the reaction is overblown, I'm pretty sure this is what the previous post/ article was referring to in "going postal."

    Watch Texas Tech Coach Tommy Tuberville slap an assistant [video]

  6. #380
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    While I do think the reaction is overblown, I'm pretty sure this is what the previous post/ article was referring to in "going postal."

    Watch Texas Tech Coach Tommy Tuberville slap an assistant [video]
    Ahh. The snippet seemed to infer that TT had done this again while at Cincinnati.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  7. #381
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    It's the protocol of the thing. Everyone understands that a new staff may not want to sign everyone the old staff had offered. But if a kid has committed to the school, it's good form for the new staff to let him know he needs to look elsewhere -- as in, actually tell him, not just wait until he infers it from the lack of communication. Signing Day is fast approaching, he'll have to find a spot somewhere, take visits etc.

    More to the point, it's not a good idea to tick off high school coaches in your own state that are a frequent source of major-college prospects.
    You're right. A few phone calls could have gone a long way in this situation.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  8. #382
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    as island red said, its poor form.

    Towards the end of his tenure, many of the HS coaches around the state began to resent John Cooper and it showed in his instate recruiting. One of the early things that Tressel was able to accomplish (something he already had from his Youngstown St days) was to strengthen the bond b/w Ohio State and HS coaches around the state. Tressell became very good at putting up a border around the state and lost very few in-state recruits that he wanted.

    Tuberville has the right to offer scholarships as he sees fit, and I think most HS coaches would understand if he told one of their kids that there was no longer a place for that kid at UC. However, by slow playing it and offering up no contact the affected HS coaches, and those that he talks to are going to have reservations about recommending UC/Tubberville to future kids/parents.
    Recruiting is all about establishing relationships.

    Communication is key to credibility.

    TT has not been very graceful in the outset and he should absolutely know better.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #383
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Here's the other side of the story:

    http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Arti...-Target-110642
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  10. #384
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Yup. New coach, new system, offers can be pulled. It happens all the time, it's nothing new. SEC teams pully schollys of current players to make room for better players
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  11. #385
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Yup. New coach, new system, offers can be pulled. It happens all the time, it's nothing new. SEC teams pully schollys of current players to make room for better players
    Not really sure what the SEC has to do with TT failing communication 101....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #386
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Not really sure what the SEC has to do with TT failing communication 101....
    Don't act like this is something new, it's not. It's rampant, especially in the SEC, which commits far worse acts of "communication" on a constant basis.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  13. #387
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Not really sure what the SEC has to do with TT failing communication 101....
    Or maybe he's not allowed to talk to them...

    College coaches are not permitted to talk about prospects until they have signed their letter of intent so speaking with Coach Tuberville was not an option.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  14. #388
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Or maybe he's not allowed to talk to them...
    That in no way prevents effective, honest communication, the lack of which is a common thread through the several snafus being talked about concerning TT's first weeks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  15. #389
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Don't act like this is something new, it's not. It's rampant, especially in the SEC, which commits far worse acts of "communication" on a constant basis.
    I think you're missing the point. These kinds of stories are the antithesis of effective recruiting. The paint TT as acting like a bull in a China shop which is not something he has the luxury of being able to afford given the waters he has to recruit within....

    The best recruiting staffs in the SEC do not conduct their business like you're characterizing. This isn't a "SEC fan beating his chest thing". It's a "you can't conduct your business like that and be a great recruiting staff" thing.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  16. #390
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,126

    Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think you're missing the point. These kinds of stories are the antithesis of effective recruiting. The paint TT as acting like a bull in a China shop which is not something he has the luxury of being able to afford given the waters he has to recruit within....

    The best recruiting staffs in the SEC do not conduct their business like you're characterizing. This isn't a "SEC fan beating his chest thing". It's a "you can't conduct your business like that and be a great recruiting staff" thing.
    Exactly, Urban Meyer honored all commitments when he came in at tOSU. You don't want to alienate schools like Massilon.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25