Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Jones deserves credit, but his team would probably be undefeated if he'd have gone with Kay in W1 over Munchie.

That's totally on him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

...so, the BE now part of the "Group of Five" -- will be forced to compete with the MAC / C-USA / Sun Belt etc. for a slot into the new BCS system.

I guess it's better than being shut out completely, but the deal basically affirms that the Big East is now an outright second-tier conference. Going to be tough recruiting (both players and coaches) from this point forward, since you can no longer sell the BE as having any special access or privileges that schools like Ohio University or Louisiana Tech do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    ...so, the BE now part of the "Group of Five" -- will be forced to compete with the MAC / C-USA / Sun Belt etc. for a slot into the new BCS system.

I guess it's better than being shut out completely, but the deal basically affirms that the Big East is now an outright second-tier conference. Going to be tough recruiting (both players and coaches) from this point forward, since you can no longer sell the BE as having any special access or privileges that schools like Ohio University or Louisiana Tech do not.
    While the Big East may have to technically vie with those other conferences for a BCS bowl slot, they're likely still going to enjoy an advantage over the rest of those conferences in terms of media exposure and prestige. The shared berth will keep a 8-4 or 9-3 Big East team out of a BCS bowl but I'd be surprised if a 11-1 or 10-2 Big East team ended up getting left behind in favor of a team from one of the other conferences with a similar record.

The Big East probably deserves second-tier status. But if the Big East deserves it, the ACC deserves it in spades. The ACC retaining its status for no good reason is the only thing that really irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The Big East probably deserves second-tier status. But if the Big East deserves it, the ACC deserves it in spades. The ACC retaining its status for no good reason is the only thing that really irks me.
    ESPN is driving the bus on that one -- once the BE turned down their TV offer, they went to work ensuring the ACC would expand and the BE would be irrelevant (and thus, no threat if some other network picked them up).

NM

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I totally agree with this. I don't check the Sagarin rankings that often, but over the last few years whenever I took a look the Big East was ahead of the ACC.

Big names drive viewers and advertising. The acc has them (fsu, Miami) and the big east doesn't. Take the names off the jerseys and they're basically the same league. But having Florida St in a bcs game is more attractive than Louisville. Same applies with Notre dame.

Have you guys heard anything more about the B12's plans? Are they going to expand again or stay at current size for the foreseeable future?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Have you guys heard anything more about the B12's plans? Are they going to expand again or stay at current size for the foreseeable future?
    I think Texas likes things as is and they're the primary roadblock. All reports are that if expansion does occur they will add Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Big names drive viewers and advertising. The acc has them (fsu, Miami) and the big east doesn't. Take the names off the jerseys and they're basically the same league. But having Florida St in a bcs game is more attractive than Louisville. Same applies with Notre dame.
    Miami isn't really a draw anymore. It's FSU, Clem(p)son and UNC that draw the eyeballs.

That league is a disaster, though.

If the NCAA is going to handle it like that, they might as well add the ACC, make it a group of 6 and give that group two bids

Blocked field goal and it stays 7-0. Unbelievable we're only down a score...we've made so many mistakes.
    Last edited by Stray; 11-17-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typing is hard

There are reports floating around that UK has offered Butch Jones their head coaching job. Just seeing different stuff on Twitter so I have no idea if it's true or not.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    There are reports floating around that UK has offered Butch Jones their head coaching job. Just seeing different stuff on Twitter so I have no idea if it's true or not.
    UC football > UK football. Not even close. Heck, you could actually have the best UK team in its history and go 5-7.

Turn Off Ads?