Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Kiffin

Lane Kiffin

Will next season be his last at USC?

Utter disaster at UT and now looking to do the same thing at freaking USC of all places...

His dad is gone now, that won't help matters.

It's amazing to think of the jobs he has gotten (Raiders, UT, USC) without accomplishing much of anything.

BTW: He stole 4 million dollars this year from USC.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Lane Kiffin

After yesterday's pathetic performance -- as usual, Kiffin proved conclusively that he cannot make the requisite halftime strategy adjustments -- and the classless USC player tweets/blowing off dinner with the GT team, you have to wonder if AD Pat Haden has seen enough.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

He's a mediocre head coach and always has been, it is baffling that teams continue to hire him as anything other then a recruiting coordinator.
    Go Gators!

He's a very good recruiter although it is debatable whether he does it legally meaning that he is always an NCAA infractions risk. He is a below avg on the field coach. I do think he must be close to being on the hot seat at USC

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He's a very good recruiter although it is debatable whether he does it legally meaning that he is always an NCAA infractions risk. He is a below avg on the field coach. I do think he must be close to being on the hot seat at USC
    His recruiting prowess comes at his NFL experience and nothing more. Put him in a recruiting coordinator position and he will be ineffective. Most recruiting coordinators are basically people who's job it is to sell on playing for a certain head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

As a current USC student nothing infuriates me more than watching Lane Kiffin try and coach. He is awful. He has no game plan or patience and hopes that he will win by using superior talent. He makes no adjustments and has no idea how to handle clock management. The end of the Notre Dame game is a prime example of just how lost he is.

The argument for him is that he is a great recruiter, which I suppose is true. However there are lots of good recruiters who are also good game coaches and to be fair, recruiting at USC is a little bit easier than at other institutions.

I think this will be Kiffin's last year at USC. I think he would be gone already if the school didn't think it "owed" him something for leading the team through sanctions.

I thought it was funny at the end of the GA Tech game and the announcers were talking about Tech using the "Tampa 2" defense to prevent big plays, since Lane's dad used that defense in the pros and had to sit there watch it used against him.

Talk about bad hires -has Monte's defenses done anything well at USC?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm probably the only person on the planet who enjoyed the fact that he blew off that dinner at the bowl game. Oh, so he offended the citizens of El Paso and the Sun Bowl? Wow. I'm sure the director of the bowl (w/ his $144,000 per year salary to stage 1 game) is emotionally ruined by this.

I mean, look at this -- I've seen Cub Scout banquets held in nicer rooms. I'd totally no-show this event too:
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm probably the only person on the planet who enjoyed the fact that he blew off that dinner at the bowl game. Oh, so he offended the citizens of El Paso and the Sun Bowl? Wow. I'm sure the director of the bowl (w/ his $144,000 per year salary to stage 1 game) is emotionally ruined by this.
    I have no particular admiration for the people who run bowls either, but nonetheless, accepting a bowl invitation comes with obligations. If Kiffin thinks he's too big-time for the Sun Bowl and its events, he and his 7-5 team should have stayed home.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I thought it was funny at the end of the GA Tech game and the announcers were talking about Tech using the "Tampa 2" defense to prevent big plays, since Lane's dad used that defense in the pros and had to sit there watch it used against him.

Talk about bad hires -has Monte's defenses done anything well at USC?
    They have pretty routinely been unprepared and worse they play soft. They could have had 13 guys on the field and not stopped Oregon this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I mean, look at this -- I've seen Cub Scout banquets held in nicer rooms. I'd totally no-show this event too:
    Acceptinga bowl bid comes w/ certain obligations. From the photo opps at Disney World or Bush Gardens, the visits to the local children's hospitals, the banquets, meet & greets, interviews with local media, etc.. its all part of the gig. Lane Kiffen and USC now showing up is a reflection back on himself and how he prepares his teams. Is it any wonder why his teams lack discipline? It takes something special to take all of that talent and coach them to 6 losses.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He's a mediocre head coach and always has been, it is baffling that teams continue to hire him as anything other then a recruiting coordinator.
    Pretty much. I felt sorry for him in Oakland having to deal with Al Davis, but I thought he did some unprofessional things in Tennessee and then I lost all respect for him when he left them high and dry after one season. While I'm not a fan of any one college team, I generally like watching USC play and ever since Kiffin took over they have been significantly worse off.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

USC is one of the most historical, elite programs in the country. I cannot understand why - even under probation - they would continue propping up Lane.

USC hasn't even felt the full effects of the NCAA scholarship restrictions. Its about to get bad.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Pretty much. I felt sorry for him in Oakland having to deal with Al Davis, but I thought he did some unprofessional things in Tennessee and then I lost all respect for him when he left them high and dry after one season. While I'm not a fan of any one college team, I generally like watching USC play and ever since Kiffin took over they have been significantly worse off.
    It turned out Al Davis was right about what he said about him when he was fired from the Raider job.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As a huge ND fan I hope he sticks around for awhile.

Turn Off Ads?