Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

2012 UC Football Official Thread

I know there are UC football fans on Redszone, but no official thread. Well, after seeing a three page thread dedicated to UK Football (kudos to UK fans), I'm starting one!

Kickoff is this Thursday against Pitt at Nippert. Pitt was the victim of a big upset in their opener against Youngstown State; however, the consensus is that Pitt isn't that bad. The are two big questions in my mind about this game: (i) whether the Bearcats can contain Ray Graham, who is returning from an ACL tear; and, (ii) whether Munchie is the answer at QB. There's no question UC lost a lot of talent from last year's squad, but they could still put together a great season. I think this season will be a big challenge for Butch Jones. Unfortunately, if he exceeds expectations, we may not see him around next season.

What does everyone else think about this 2012 season? I can't make it to the game Thursday evening. Is anyone else going?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

This is one of three big games this weekend for the Big East against the present/future ACC. Temple hosting Maryland and UConn hosting NC State are the other two. It's critically important for the Big East to continue besting the ACC on the field. It would be really nice to have Pitt and Cuse finish last and second last in the conference this year (and it's certainly possible).

I'm worried about Munchie. Can he throw enough to keep himself from getting crushed while running the ball too much? Do they have anything behind him if he fails?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm worried about Munchie. Can he throw enough to keep himself from getting crushed while running the ball too much? Do they have anything behind him if he fails?
    Brendon Kay wouldn't be a terrible alternative. He has the skills to be a decent D1 quarterback, but Munchie has a lot more in game experience. I think Munchie has the raw talent to succeed, but he hadn't quite put it all together by the end of last season. This season? TBD. He needs to be more comfortable in the pocket, and, IMHO, the coaching staff needs to take better advantage of his legs.

I'm looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night and see what they've got this year

I'm looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night and see what they've got this year
    I really wanted to go to the game, but I have an event to attend. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I really wanted to go to the game, but I have an event to attend. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the second half.
    Are they expecting a sellout?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This is one of three big games this weekend for the Big East against the present/future ACC. Temple hosting Maryland and UConn hosting NC State are the other two. It's critically important for the Big East to continue besting the ACC on the field. It would be really nice to have Pitt and Cuse finish last and second last in the conference this year (and it's certainly possible).
    While I think beating the ACC on the field is important, it would be an even bigger coup if the Big East is able to get a better television contract than the ACC. I think that's clearly the goal of Aresco, the new BE commish.

Are they expecting a sellout?
    Not sure. I saw this on another message board:

Greg Harrell ‏@Cats_Tix_Greg

@tdawgcincy Will need to finish strong. 101, 201, 213-215 are sold out. Those are usually the main seats leftover. That's good news.

Oh, and I heard Pitt returned their allotment after selling around 80 of 3,000 tickets.

While I think beating the ACC on the field is important, it would be an even bigger coup if the Big East is able to get a better television contract than the ACC. I think that's clearly the goal of Aresco, the new BE commish.
    I think it's all part of the same thing. A bad product is harder to sell.

Oh, and I heard Pitt returned their allotment after selling around 80 of 3,000 tickets.
    The ACC's getting an all-around gem there. From the did you know file: in 2011-12, Pitt won one less Big East title than Loyola (MD).

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think it's all part of the same thing. A bad product is harder to sell.
    Yeah, I guess I meant in the short term. I'd love to trample all over Pitt and 'Cuse this year (and every year), but these contract negotiations are beyond critical for the future of the Big East.

Let's not exaggerate. They sold 89.

I'll be there. Word is that the students gobbled up many of the returned tickets and will be out in force. It should be a fun environment.

Oh, and as a reminder to those going to the game: wear black.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm excited to see how UC does this year. My main concern is not with the team though, it is with fan support. If fan support is strong, I think Butch is in it for the long haul. If UC still struggles with support, I think it makes it very unlikely that Butch would be willing to stick it out. Honestly, why should he? Butch reportedly turned down some very good offers last year because he believed he could build this program and gain the fan support. Not so sure he would be willing to do the same again this time around.

Turn Off Ads?