Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Retired

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If I'm Butch Jones I don't leave for Colorado unless he's really into mountains or something. He can do better. In the meantime, he's got a good thing going here in Cincinnati. If Wisconsin or Tennessee showed some interest, then I think he ought to reconsider
    I don't understand his interst in Colorado either, aside from money. It's a horrible program, they were 1-11 this year, and it would be a massive rebuilding effort. That job has failure written all over it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not a UC alum so I don't really have a stake in whether Jones stays or goes but does anyone else think that the UC president should - or should have - give Jones 24 hours to either take another job or stay at UC or else he's fired?

I know that's a drastic step but you have to believe this affects recruiting as well as doners and season ticket holders. It also has to effect the players and coaches. I don't like to see UC - and other universities - being played like this by these coaches. UC football cannot be taken seriously if this keeps happening. If he can't make up his mind within the period of time given by UC, find a new coach because if he goes - and Channel 9 is saying it's a done deal - you will have to get a new coach anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not a UC alum so I don't really have a stake in whether Jones stays or goes but does anyone else think that the UC president should - or should have - give Jones 24 hours to either take another job or stay at UC or else he's fired?

I know that's a drastic step but you have to believe this affects recruiting as well as doners and season ticket holders. It also has to effect the players and coaches. I don't like to see UC - and other universities - being played like this by these coaches. UC football cannot be taken seriously if this keeps happening. If he can't make up his mind within the period of time given by UC, find a new coach because if he goes - and Channel 9 is saying it's a done deal - you will have to get a new coach anyway.
    I think we just have to accept that we're not a destination job. I think it's fair to give Butch Jones all of the time he needs to make this decision. A big reason we've been so successful in recent years has been because of coaching. Brian Kelly wasn't content with Cincinnati being what it was, he wanted it to be bigger and better. He lobbied for change and got some before he ultimately left. Same with Butch, he wants Cincinnati to be more than it is now, but a lot of it is totally out of his control.

If we were getting coaches who settled and were content we wouldn't have had the kind of success we've had. It's only normal for Butch to look at and consider bigger and better opportunities, it's seems to be part of the nature of coaches that we hire. I'd rather have guys like this than the alternative.

Maybe one of these days we'll be more of a destination job in a stable conference, until then we just gotta deal with this stuff. If people are looking at our coaches that means we're doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I think we just have to accept that we're not a destination job. I think it's fair to give Butch Jones all of the time he needs to make this decision. A big reason we've been so successful in recent years has been because of coaching. Brian Kelly wasn't content with Cincinnati being what it was, he wanted it to be bigger and better. He lobbied for change and got some before he ultimately left. Same with Butch, he wants Cincinnati to be more than it is now, but a lot of it is totally out of his control.

If we were getting coaches who settled and were content we wouldn't have had the kind of success we've had. It's only normal for Butch to look at and consider bigger and better opportunities, it's seems to be part of the nature of coaches that we hire. I'd rather have guys like this than the alternative.

Maybe one of these days we'll be more of a destination job in a stable conference, until then we just gotta deal with this stuff. If people are looking at our coaches that means we're doing something right.
    I don't think anyone is upset that UC isn't viewed as a destination job nor do I think most fans begrudge anyone leaving for a better job. I didn't blame Mark Dantonio for leaving for Michigan State and even though I thought Brian Kelly could have handled his departure a bit better, I never faulted him for leaving for Notre Dame.

I don't mind Butch Jones exploring his options, which frankly are far less attractive than either MSU or Notre Dame, nor do I mind him using the offers from other schools as leverage to extract a better deal from UC. What I do mind is Butch Jones dragging this process out for days on end, leaving UC twisting in the wind.

As each day goes by the pool of prospective replacement candidates dwindles and recruits start looking elsewhere, which is more damaging to the long term health of the program than merely having Butch leave.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

If you fire him, you have to pay him to leave.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you fire him, you have to pay him to leave.
    Well, that's true but I think the University has to make a stand. They need to know if he is or is not their coach. Getting played like this year after year doesn't exactly give UC the big time image they so desire.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Lot of reports via Twitter now that he's declined the CU offer:

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe
    Butch Jones has declined an offer from Colorado, a source close to the coach said
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I don't think anyone is upset that UC isn't viewed as a destination job nor do I think most fans begrudge anyone leaving for a better job. I didn't blame Mark Dantonio for leaving for Michigan State and even though I thought Brian Kelly could have handled his departure a bit better, I never faulted him for leaving for Notre Dame.

I don't mind Butch Jones exploring his options, which frankly are far less attractive than either MSU or Notre Dame, nor do I mind him using the offers from other schools as leverage to extract a better deal from UC. What I do mind is Butch Jones dragging this process out for days on end, leaving UC twisting in the wind. .
    I only have an outside opinion on this but hearing WLW and the National sports reporting every day, this is the part that would get me. As stated in this post, "dragging" it out and then wanting to "not discuss" it in the news conferences.

If has truly declined the Colorado offer, it is because he thinks the UT job is availabe now ?

I don't really think he's dragging anything out. What's a few extra days to make a life altering decision anyway? With Twitter reporting it just seems worse since people manufacture news to be the guy who broke it.

Like I just saw in someone's tweet. The last two UC coaches turned it into the Michigan State job and the Notre Dame job, it didn't make any sense for Jones to take CU. Now if Tennessee or Wisconsin offer that's a different story.

But now that he's declined CU I think he either needs to come out and make a statement that he's committed to UC, or he needs to go through the other jobs interviewing process in a timely matter. We cannot be talking about this still when the bowl game comes around.

The most publicity UC Football ever gets is when the coach is talking to other schools. Perhaps Butch Jones is angling to make things better at UC? Perhaps he likes the song "Rocky Top" or cheesehead hats?

At least people are talking about UC Sports.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The most publicity UC Football ever gets is when the coach is talking to other schools. Perhaps Butch Jones is angling to make things better at UC? Perhaps he likes the song "Rocky Top" or cheesehead hats?

At least people are talking about UC Sports.
    I think people have been talking about UC basketball for decades.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I think people have been talking about UC basketball for decades.
    In big picture concepts.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I wonder how Butch looks in orange? Twitter has him as the front-runner to head to Knoxville.

Edit: this is looking more like a done deal. Players meeting tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-06-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I wonder how Butch looks in orange? Twitter has him as the front-runner to head to Knoxville.

Edit: this is looking more like a done deal. Players meeting tomorrow morning.
    Makes sense given he turned Colorado down. I know UT fans are NOT happy if it turns out to be Jones, especially since Tennessee beat Cincinnati with Jones at the helm.

Given the history, wonder if Dan Enos will get a call if Butch ends up being the guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?