Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    That's was a long time ago before Miles and Saban transformed the west. What has he done recently besides almost getting fired from Texas Tech after getting fired from Ole Miss.

Don't get me wrong, he'll win some games at UC but Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones were all more exciting hires with more potential at that time.
    He didn't get fired at Ole Miss.

And I'm not totally sure, but IIRC, his last couple recruiting classes at TTU have been pretty highly rated. 20-17 record, 2 bowl games... That ain't all bad after the dumpster fire that TTU was after the Leach era.

It's also worth noting that Tuberville was 3-2 against Saban while NS was at LSU.

I don't know if Tuberville is great, but saying "he's always been a mediocre coach" isn't exactly correct either.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Would MUCH rather have my coach be Tommy Tuberville than Charlie Strong. Fact.

PROVEN PERFORMANCE.

Stop trying to imply that I think Charlie Strong is a horrible coach. He is very average. Period.
    Last edited by WMR; 12-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Tuberville has been a mess for awhile. This strikes me as hiring the sizzle, not the steak.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Would MUCH rather have my coach be Tommy Tuberville than Charlie Strong. Fact.

PROVEN PERFORMANCE.

Stop trying to imply that I think Charlie Strong is a horrible coach. He is very average. Period.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm not sure how tight Petrino and Tuberville are -- apparently Petrino was kind of a snake (shocking, I know) during his time at Auburn and was interviewing for jobs without even a courtesy call to Tuberville.

Now...Gene Chizik was the DC at Auburn under TT. I could definitely see him getting a look for that position at UC.
    He was also interviewing or TT's job! (see jet gate). Tommy never got over tht either. It would be a little surreal or TT to hire BP.

That's a rumor I'd need to see happen before giving it any credence whatsoever. And even then, I'd still doubt it was true.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Love the Bucks and Cards fans belittling the hire. Thanks for checking in guys.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think it's a good move. Tuberville is a hell of a coach. Texas Tech was just an awful situation to walk into, he probably made a mistake in accepting the job in the first place. He was a very, very good, if not great, coach at Auburn. And Ole Miss.... I mean, who will win there anyways? He's a perfect fit for UC. I think he's a better coach than Butch Jones, and it's not particularly close. If Butch Jones is able to roll out an undefeated team in the SEC, then we'll talk.

UC lost their coach... and found a better one. Not bad for a day's work I'd say.

I don't get all the hype about Tuberville. He's coached 17 seasons and only three of them had fewer than 4 losses.

He's a decent coach, and I think this is an OK hire. But that resume doesn't strike me as being worthy of all the superlatives.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I predict a 9-3 record next year, 7-5, 6-6, and then 10-2. It was always up and down with Tubs even with Alabama and Georgia were terrible. White it is true that by 2008 all his starters from the 2004 squad were on a NFL roster, he needs to thank his staff for getting those players to Auburn. Good day game coach, knows nothing about offense, and a lazy recruiter.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I predict a 9-3 record next year, 7-5, 6-6, and then 10-2. It was always up and down with Tubs even with Alabama and Georgia were terrible. White it is true that by 2008 all his starters from the 2004 squad were on a NFL roster, he needs to thank his staff for getting those players to Auburn. Good day game coach, knows nothing about offense, and a lazy recruiter.
    Tech's offense was #2 in the country this season....

UC fans will either love Tubs or hate him. Most will love him. Regardless he's a large personality who is always good for a quote. He's a very fiery kind of guy, very competitive. I think Cincy will love him especially if he's decided this is his last stop (his wife is from nearby in Indiana).

While at Auburn his teams had a reputation for slobber knocking... you knew you were in for a fight regardless of records, you never came into Jordan-Hare expecting to win, and while you may win, you'd still be feeling the game the following Friday. Players developed in his program too. I'm not sure how dedicated he is to recruiting at this point, but he can take a three star guy and coach him up to be a NFL player. That's perfect for Cincy because I don't care how good a staff recruits, in Ohio, it's getting the guys that OSU doesn't want (its one reason why 10 win seasons with a BIG 10 schedule by OSU just isn't that impressive).

We know that a good coach can win in Cincinnati. Tuberville is a good coach. All that remains to be seen IMHO is if he still has good legs under him and whether he'll implode. But having an AD that is clearly on his side, a general lack of boosters getting in his business, and a media market that frankly is kind of wussy gives this marriage a good chance of working out.

It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff and where Cincy ends up with the Big East seemingly in it's death throws... A solid staff that recruits like it's life depends upon it and a move to a better conference situation could be a huge deal for Cincinnati football.

Also, whatever conference that the Bearcats end up joining needs to demand that they significantly upgrade the football facilities. It's vital for Cincy's long term ability to compete IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Thanks for the info. jojo. I believe there will be an announcement re: facilities upgrades in the next week or so.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Yes, Whit Babcock mentioned in Friday's presser that we'd be hearing about the facilities plan soon. The Board of Trustees meet on Tuesday, so perhaps we could hear something mid-week.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-09-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Words, how do they work?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Tech's offense was #2 in the country this season....
    And I promise you that he had very little to do with it.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    And I promise you that he had very little to do with it.
    That would be Neal Brown, and if he doesn't end up with a head coaching job he will likely be the offensive coordinator at Kentucky. He's from Kentucky and they are really making a run at him to run the offense.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?