Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Were you signed to a 6 yr contract with Thriftway at the time?
    Camisa's foray into free agency was more widely covered than A-Rod's first trip to the dog and pony show.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It is that way for professional head coaches like the NFL and MLB. The Red Sox couldn't talk contract with John Farrell unless the Blue Jays OK'd it. I don't see why college contracts are handled differently
    Because no one's made a rule against it. I guess the NCAA could if the member schools ever decided to vote for it, but every school that loses a coach under contract is a school that's about to swipe someone else's coach, so I guess they figure it evens out.

For what it's worth, most big coaching contracts have buyout provisions on both sides.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Because no one's made a rule against it. I guess the NCAA could if the member schools ever decided to vote for it, but every school that loses a coach under contract is a school that's about to swipe someone else's coach, so I guess they figure it evens out.

For what it's worth, most big coaching contracts have buyout provisions on both sides.
    Correct. All schools want to boast that their coach is signed for anywhere over 4 years so recruits can think that he'll be there for the recruit's full college career but in reality the school wants the ability to fire him in case "a situation" develops

As stupid as the Big East has become, I'm excited about some of these schools coming to Nippert next year. Purdue, Boise State, UCF, UCONN, Louisville. Doesn't change the fact that UC needs to get out as quick as it can, but that's not a bad home slate.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    As stupid as the Big East has become, I'm excited about some of these schools coming to Nippert next year. Purdue, Boise State, UCF, UCONN, Louisville. Doesn't change the fact that UC needs to get out as quick as it can, but that's not a bad home slate.
    Given that the basketball schools met today to discuss splitting from the Big East that home schedule might not happen.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/3...tball-schedule

Code:
    The road trip distance for each team's four conference games:

San Diego State: 8,327 miles
        Boise State: 7,024
        Houston: 6,071
        Temple: 5,264
        Rutgers: 4,410
        UCF: 4,196
        Cincinnati: 4,117
        UConn: 3,943
        Louisville: 3,746
        Memphis: 3,650
        USF: 3,454
        SMU: 3,155
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Given that the basketball schools met today to discuss splitting from the Big East that home schedule might not happen.
    Maybe. But if the league would dissolve, would it be immediate leaving all schools scrambling to fill schedules or join a conference? I have to believe next year's schedule is pretty safe.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

At this point it probably be better if they did. Then all parties involved can sit down and rethink what the goals are. The Big East has been grasping at straws since the 2nd raid (Pitt/Syracuse) to try and keep that sinking ship afloat. I personally would sit down and try to find a palpable 2 conference "best of" scenarios. Maybe try and come up with a football only conference to try and maximize tv dollars while everyone else stays home for the non revenue sports?

The travel will just be ungodly if they try and stretch from Connecticut to San Diego St and Florida to Boise.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Maybe. But if the league would dissolve, would it be immediate leaving all schools scrambling to fill schedules or join a conference? I have to believe next year's schedule is pretty safe.
    Yes, it seems likely that Maryland and Rutgers will resolve their lawsuits by agreeing to pay close to the full amount if they're allowed to leave in 2013. Then Louisville will move to the ACC using whatever terms Rutgers negotiated. The basketball schools have committed to make a decision prior to the 2013 season and the addition of the new schools. From what I've read they don't have much to lose by splitting given that the new media deal is looking pretty bad.

Ultimately, this depends on Maryland's lawsuit. If they're willing to work something out with the ACC to get into the big ten early then realignment will occur in 2013. Given that its in both parties best interest to get this settled I think it will happen.

Yes, it seems likely that Maryland and Rutgers will resolve their lawsuits by agreeing to pay close to the full amount if they're allowed to leave in 2013. Then Louisville will move to the ACC using whatever terms Rutgers negotiated. The basketball schools have committed to make a decision prior to the 2013 season and the addition of the new schools. From what I've read they don't have much to lose by splitting given that the new media deal is looking pretty bad.
    I said in 03 they should have split and taken a collection of schools from the A-10 and pretty much be right back where they were, while the football schools could set their own agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Camisa's foray into free agency was more widely covered than A-Rod's first trip to the dog and pony show.
    It's true. Gentlemen, hide your wives, sisters, daughters, etc.

Were you signed to a 6 yr contract with Thriftway at the time?
    Six years? No. My point is that it's the system that's broken. Sure, the individuals are handling this unethically (for lack of a better word). But history has shown that people can't be trusted when it comes to money, so if you want to see change, some regulations will need to be enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Six years? No. My point is that it's the system that's broken. Sure, the individuals are handling this unethically (for lack of a better word). But history has shown that people can't be trusted when it comes to money, so if you want to see change, some regulations will need to be enacted.
    My issue is with there being a contract. If you can negotiate and leave anytime you want, what good is a 6 yr contract?

The only way these contracts have any teeth is if there is a commensurately high buy out.

Turn Off Ads?