Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The only way these contracts have any teeth is if there is a commensurately high buy out.
    I don't think it would matter. Not exactly apples to apples, but did a fifty million dollar buyout dissuade Maryland from leaving the ACC. Also, at some point, I think raising the buyout to an unreasonably high amount borders on an unconscionable liquidated damages clause.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tubs might be targeting Eddie Gran (FSU associate head coach) as his offensive coordinator....

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/...in-2013-106167

Jimbo Fisher is becoming a victim of his own success this offseason as it seems everyone is poaching his coaching staff.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Didn't UC run a 4-3 on defense this year? U-Tenn tried to change to a 3-4 with miserable results this year. I'm thinking that Butch will switch them back to a 4-3. Please straighten me out here, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Tubs might be targeting Eddie Gran (FSU associate head coach) as his offensive coordinator....

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/...in-2013-106167

Jimbo Fisher is becoming a victim of his own success this offseason as it seems everyone is poaching his coaching staff.
    I would love to see Gran added to the staff. He's a beast of a recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I said in 03 they should have split and taken a collection of schools from the A-10 and pretty much be right back where they were, while the football schools could set their own agenda.
    The Big East has been good to UC but the conference as devised makes very little sense, particularly after the rash of defections and new acquisitions.

Quite simply the best interests of the basketball only schools and the football schools are not remotely similar and the need to balance the needs of both factions has hurt the Big East as the realignment process has played out. If the Big East had been more proactive in the realignment process I don't think it would have found itself on the verge of extinction, but from all reports the basketball schools weren't keen on expansion and the result is the predicament the Big East finds itself in today.

That being I don't think the complaints of the basketball school are unfounded; they're watching the value of their brand being diluted, they're expected to take less money and they're supposed to shoulder the costs associated with greater travel.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I would love to see Gran added to the staff. He's a beast of a recruiter.
    Ya, he would be a good hire. He has Auburn ties so it would have been good to see him come back to Auburn but I think there is a decent chance he gets a HC offer.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As a rookie playcaller, it's hard to predict how Gran will do, but he's earned a shot somewhere. Very good recruiter and coach. I think his name's in the hat for the Arkansas State HC job too.

Many of my fellow FSU people are panicking at the loss of Stoops/Eliot/Gran, but when a coach loads his staff with up-and-comers, they get promotions and have to be replaced now and then. Bowden had such stability on his staff (to the program's benefit for a long time, and towards the end to its detriment) that I think our fan base has forgotten this is how college football usually works.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Ya, he would be a good hire. He has Auburn ties so it would have been good to see him come back to Auburn but I think there is a decent chance he gets a HC offer.
    Looks like Brian Harsin is going to land the Arkansas State HC job, so there's a good possibility Gran comes to UC. I've also read that UC might get Sam Pittman from TN as an OL coach. Also a great get if true.

Also, for those of you who have called this a 'meh" hire, this is the exact reason why it's a great get for UC. In the past, the model has been to grab the best MAC coach, or possibly the best coordinator they can find. While that's worked just fine, those guys never had the prestige to grab top recruiters and assistant coaches. UC has never been able to snap out of the three star recruit territory, but this might push them over the hump. Kelly was right on the cusp of getting the program there, then he went to ND. For a program that's lacked national prestige despite ample on field success, this is exactly the type of hire they needed.

I gotta think this will have an effect on in-state recruiting for Ohio State. Obviously the Buckeyes are the big dog, but Tuberville does bring a bit of gravitas to UC.

Do you guys think this is Tubs final destination, or a stepping stone? Cause if he has a great season or two, you know his name will be a hot one in the coaching rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I gotta think this will have an effect on in-state recruiting for Ohio State. Obviously the Buckeyes are the big dog, but Tuberville does bring a bit of gravitas to UC.

Do you guys think this is Tubs final destination, or a stepping stone? Cause if he has a great season or two, you know his name will be a hot one in the coaching rumors.
    I don't think it affects OSU that much to be honest. Most of the guys being mentioned as assistants for TT are heavy recruiters in the South. Maybe a player here or there that's not crucially important to OSU. I see the real impact in OH with second tier type B1G programs and someone like BC from the ACC. It might be harder to poach the guys OSU isn't going after.

As to whether or not it's his last destination, who knows? I hope his name is at the top of every coaching list across the country. That will mean he's maximized the opportunity at UC. If it can keep the program successful and boost donations to the athletic program, then what's not to like? That being said, I think he's older and I have hope this turns out like Solich at OU. Time will tell.

Did he stick them with the tab?

Who knows what really happened. That story was updated a couple hours ago:

Update (1 p.m.): The University of Cincinnati told SB Nation that Tuberville leaving the dinner was not due talking any contact with Cincinnati officials.

"Those reports are inaccurate," said a university spokesperson. "There was no contact between Coach Tuberville and Cincinnati prior to Saturday morning. Coach said he was at the dinner, talked with everyone, ate and went home."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who knows what really happened. That story was updated a couple hours ago:
    Yeah. I meant to add that to my prior post. This dinner occurred on Friday night, before Whit even made his initial phone call to TT. Moreover, it's not uncommon for a HC to show up at a recruiting dinner with multiple assistant coaches, then leave the evening to the ACs.

Turn Off Ads?