Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contusion

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contusion

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contus

Was shocked to see that headline earlier, I had no idea it was that serious. I've always been a fan of McCarthy (I strongly advocated the Reds pick him up after Texas gave up on him) as both a player and a person, and hopefully he recovers fully from this.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Re: Brandon McCarthy Suffered A Skull Fracture, An Epidural Hemorrhage & Brain Contus

Horrible news. You forget how dangerous professional sports can be until something like this happens, the speed and the power of the game. I pray that everything goes well for McCarthy.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I think he'll recover and play again, but it would be nice if some of the MDs we have on the board gave their opinions.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Very scary. It amazes me sometimes that this doesn't happen more, just goes to show how good some of those athletes are out there to defend themselves against shots back through the middle.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Herb Score
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The games greatest catalyst is fear, fear of the ball in the box and on the mound

Just ask Tony C

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The games greatest catalyst is fear, fear of the ball in the box and on the mound

Just ask Tony C

I wish we could.
    Tony C. had such a tragic baseball career in a short life.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

You'd almost like to see pitchers wear some kind of helmet out there but I kind of think it may affect their pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You'd almost like to see pitchers wear some kind of helmet out there but I kind of think it may affect their pitching.
    Oh that is coming one day trust me.

Helmets and bubble wrap in the uniform.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Cruisin' for trouble

The tech should be good enough to come up with a decent protective device without resorting to something that resembles a football helmet. Start incorporating it in the youth leagues and bring it forward as they move up the ranks.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Poor guy. I saw the video of that hit and it was so scary. I am amazed that he never lost consciousness! My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Hope his recovery is complete and that we see him back with his team on the sidelines this year and hopefully pitching again next season.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

an epidural hemorrhage is where the epidural artery bleeds. the blood accumulates between the skull & the brain. since there is only so much room in the skull cavity the brain gets compresssed. this is much worse than a subdural hematoma which is a low pressure venous bleed. he could have suffered major brain damage. only time will tell.

I was thinking of John Olerud. I believe he had suffered a sub arachnoid bleed from a ruptured aneurysm. He wore a helmet in the field playing 1B. It seems like some sort of mini helmet could be made for pitchers or pitchers, first basemen & third basemen.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Oh that is coming one day trust me.

Helmets and bubble wrap in the uniform.
    Bubble wrap? Awesome! Then when a player slides into 2nd, you can hear him go pop, pop, pop.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Also one of the best athletes to follow on twitter -- consistently insightful and funny.

Speedy recovery to him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?