Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Season MLB.COM top 100 prospect list

End of Season MLB.COM top 100 prospect list

Four Reds made the list, led by Billy Hamiliton at #15.
    Stephenson, Cingrani and Corcino on the list too.

Joining Hamilton in the top 100 were Class A Dayton pitcher Robert Stephenson (63rd), Double-A Pensacola lefty pitcher Tony Cingrani (65th) and Pensacola right-hander Daniel Corcino (79th).
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

They did an updated top 20 prospects for the Reds too.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/p...2012/#list=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: End of Season MLB.COM top 100 prospect list

Sean Buckley and Brodie Greene at 11 and 12 and Lutz, Vidal, and Guillon don't crack their top 20? Methinks this be a crappy ranking.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Sean Buckley and Brodie Greene at 11 and 12 and Lutz, Vidal, and Guillon don't crack their top 20? Methinks this be a crappy ranking.
    IMO, after the first four, it's a total crapshoot as to who might go in what order. The Reds have a list of guys long on potential, but short on production. They also have a list (almost as long) who produced well, but have less than glowing scouting reports.

I'd agree with their top four, for sure:
    Hamilton
    Stephenson
    Cingrani
    Corcino

After that? A whole lotta maybe's.

This list does not appear to reflect much additional thought following the completion of the 2012 season.

I can go with the top 6, but I'm really not seeing the love for Ryan Lamarre at number 7. I see the OBP numbers, but doesn't his minor league profile seem like Drew Stubbs lesser brother? I'm a skeptic where minor league OBP numbers are concerned and wonder whether they will translate at the big league level without some pop to keep pithcers honest. I also notice that Lamarre gets a boost from a decent number of HBP each year. I'm fairly uncertain of whether that "skill" will translate at the big league level. If teams are enamored with him, he'd absolutely be on the list of guys to deal to sweeten a package.

Lotzkar also seems like a guy with too many injuries to take seriously. He also struggled quite a bit at AA this year. He's still young and probably wouldn't net much because of his injury history, so he's not really on the trade list. He'd be more on my "keep an eye on" list than anywhere sniffing he top 10.

If we take the Hamilton, Stephenson, CIngrani, Corcino, Didi and Travieso group as the top 6, I think I'd go with Winker at 7 (though I'm usually not impressed with Billings offensive numbers), I'd probably go with H-Rod at 8 since he's hit everywhere until AAA, Rogers at 9 based on his strong year and progressions and then its a real crapshoot (if its not already). I'd probably go with Y-Rod at 10 just because of his tools and the fact that he's largely been downgraded because of "head issues." I don't place much emphasis on those issues in kids so young. Growing up happens and makes these problems go away many times.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez, if they're going to include a pitcher in Single A over a pitcher who got a September callup who had a dazzling season, Cingrani.........then I could make an argument that Jesse Winker should have been high on the list.

If it's about potential and not what you've done lately in the higher echelons, then I think the list stinks. These analysts are clueless and by the middle of next season that list of top 20 prospects will look silly as usual. I mean, geez, look at the age of some of these kids. Some are on the verge of being to old already and they're still in single A. And others are like 18 or 19 and haven't done much, but he lists them for potential? I could have made a better list than this.

Edit: Didn't read mth's post before I posted mine. I agree with you.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 09-09-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Anyone else a little freaked out by Pirates prospect Jameson Taillon?

Hoping Robert Stephenson gets to skip Bakersfield next year and start out with Pensacola.

Ryan Lamarre reminds me of Gerrado Parra. Doesn't do anything great but just enough....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Hoping Robert Stephenson gets to skip Bakersfield next year and start out with Pensacola.
    No way that happens. He needs to work on throwing something other than his fastball

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

Good God, he has murder eyes

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

I keeell you with my circle change.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post

Ryan Lamarre reminds me of Gerrado Parra. Doesn't do anything great but just enough....
    Can't imagine Stephenson starting in Pensacola. Starting in Bakersfield will be enough of a jump for him. Big question to me will be whether Travieso starts in Dayton or Billings. Stephenson in Bakersfield, Lotzkar and Rogers in Pensacola, with Cingrani and Corcino in the 'ville.

LaMarre reminds me more of Chris Heisey without the power. I would say he does everything almost enough, but nothing major league starter-worthy. He'll be a solid 4th OF IMO, but nothing more.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    LaMarre reminds me more of Chris Heisey without the power. I would say he does everything almost enough, but nothing major league starter-worthy. He'll be a solid 4th OF IMO, but nothing more.
    LaMarre is quite the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    LaMarre is quite the defender.
    You think he's that much better than Heisey? Would he be a plus defender in CF at the major league level?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You think he's that much better than Heisey? Would he be a plus defender in CF at the major league level?
    Yes, I do think he is significantly better than Heisey. At the very least I think he is an above average MLB defender when fully healthy (he has been dealing with plantar fasciitis this year).

Turn Off Ads?