Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mes and Navarro

Mes and Navarro

I'd say it is looking safe to say Mes is the 3rd string C, or not on the playoff roster at all come October (probably the latter). I thought he may get a start today, but Navarro catching Homer today.

Mes hasn't played in the big leagues since Aug 20.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mes and Navarro

It wouldnt surprise me if they run 3 catchers in the postseason. Navarro is a switchy hitter which is nice, and it'd give them the luxury of being able to pinch-run for a catcher and not risk the backup getting injured.

That said, Mes, as of right now, is absolutely the 3rd string catcher.

-Matt

For a Level Playing Field

So IF Mes does not get suspended for bumping the umpire, does any of this happen? Would we still be seeing Hannigan-Mes as #1 and #1a. Did the suspension and of course the Navarro fill-in during that time make Walt-Dusty have other thoughts? Just makes me wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    It wouldnt surprise me if they run 3 catchers in the postseason. Navarro is a switchy hitter which is nice, and it'd give them the luxury of being able to pinch-run for a catcher and not risk the backup getting injured.

That said, Mes, as of right now, is absolutely the 3rd string catcher.

-Matt
    I don't see any way in the world they carry three catchers on the playoff roster. That's just not something teams will do unless one of the catchers is awfully versatile.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't see any way in the world they carry three catchers on the playoff roster. That's just not something teams will do unless one of the catchers is awfully versatile.
    Right. At this point, Mes doesn't bring anything to the table that Navarro doesn't. I don't see 3 C on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Right. At this point, Mes doesn't bring anything to the table that Navarro doesn't. I don't see 3 C on the roster.
    Not for a short series he doesn't, but Navarro's defensive handling of pitchers has been putrid. If Hanigan gets hurt to the point where he can't play a couple of games, they can sub Mes in with a roster spot.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's only his rookie season, but Mez has been a complete disappointment for me. I can't remember him doing anything eye-catching all season to make me think he's going to be a good one. Usually you see a young guy show flashes before eventually putting it all together. I saw none. But I hope I'm wrong.

Navarro is a switch-hitter and provides diversity off the bench as a hitter.

I think the move happens, suspension or not.

I've been on record saying I've never been impressed by Mes at the plate nor behind it. He may very well mature in to a very good catch; he's only 24 and catchers take longer to mature because of the defensive burden. But if I'm looking to put together the best 25 man roster, Navarro is on it and Mes is only there if the Reds decide to carry 3 catchers.

Navarro is a poor defensive catcher, but Mes isn't exactly stellar and least Navarro is hitting.

Frankly, I think the roster choice is between Mesoraco and Cairo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

People keep talking about how Mesoraco will be the next middle-of-the-order power-hitting catcher with great defense (i.e., the next Johnny Bench). I'm just hoping that he can become the next Joe Oliver. I have no greater hope or expectation for him than that.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'd like to see Navarro backing up in 2013.

Mez's season was well within the range of possibilities if you look at his past and the likelihood that he'd defer most of his time to Hanigan. If you liked him last year, I see no reason why you can't like him next year as well. It's a process.

I have no doubt Mez will hit 25 hr in a season by the time he's 30. He's not Johnny Bench and no one ever ever said that in a meaningful way, only metaphorically or reminiscently, at least that's how I remember it.

Turn Off Ads?