Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/7/2012 Astros at Reds

Re: 9/7/2012 Astros at Reds

BP and Hi-C both K looking.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Got to start swinging at those borderline pitches.
    Last edited by Tadasimha; 09-07-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    He's got a 1.85:1 GB:FB ratio. That's 15th in the entire Major Leagues. I'd say that's absolutely the hallmark of a groundball pitcher.

The homers are because of a 17% HR/FB rate, not because of giving up more fly balls. Only two pitchers in the majors have given up a higher rate of homers to fly balls allowed.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=8,d
    A groundball pitcher needs a good ratio AND needs to keep the ball in the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A groundball pitcher needs a good ratio AND needs to keep the ball in the stadium.
    Every pitcher needs to keep the ball in the stadium

Votto the Canadian God of Walks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Votto the Canadian God of Walks.
    What's an appropriate sacrifice for the Canadian God Of Walks?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    What's an appropriate sacrifice for the Canadian God Of Walks?
    A maple tree or a hockey player

Ludwick flies out. 57 pitches for Harrell after 3.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    A maple tree
    One of those maple bats that breaks easily anyway?

Now when Votto is on base, I hold my breath similar to what I had to do when Griffey was on base a few years ago.

Are the #1 and #2 slots jinxed? (I know, they both got hits first time through...)
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Every pitcher needs to keep the ball in the stadium
    Some pitchers can compensate for a higher home run rate. Mat Latos has the same 23 homers allowed but has 158 strikeouts and other very favorable stats that compensate.

The concept of a ground ball pitcher IMO is a guy who gets a lot of outs on the ground and does not allow many homers. Such a pitcher usually can't get away with 23 homers at this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some pitchers can compensate for a higher home run rate. Mat Latos has the same 23 homers allowed but has 158 strikeouts and other very favorable stats that compensate.

The concept of a ground ball pitcher IMO is a guy who gets a lot of outs on the ground and does not allow many homers. Such a pitcher usually can't get away with 23 homers at this point in the season.
    You avoid homers by giving up fewer fly balls. You don't have a ton of influence over your HR/FB rate. Perhaps a little, but not much. Most guys generally hover around 10-11%.

He's giving up almost 2 grounders for every fly ball. If he were giving up a normal rate of homers to fly balls, that number would be in the range of 13-15 homers which is why his xFIP is 3.71. Latos, despite his strikeouts, has an xFIP of 3.83.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It's almost like night and day between Homer at Minute Minute and Homer at GABP against the same Astros team. I mean the Maxwell homer part is the same but he was much more efficient, more comfortable at Houston than in this game.

Frazier with the EE special. Great pick, and then airmails the throw. Inning continues.

Turn Off Ads?