Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Good Cincinnati Chili Recipes?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Good Cincinnati Chili Recipes?

I was born in Cincy but moved to Florida when I was 3...lived here ever since, although I visit as much as I can. My girlfriend is a born and bred Floridian who is a trained chef - obviously a very good cook. She's heard me yammer on and on about cincinnati chili but she's never had it and I am not a good enough cook to make it from scratch; at least, not good enough to do it justice. I know you can order the seasoning packets or the frozen stuff, but it's just not the same. So, if any of you know of a good, replicable cincy chili recipe I can give her to make, I'd appreciate it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Good Cincinnati Chili Recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I was born in Cincy but moved to Florida when I was 3...lived here ever since, although I visit as much as I can. My girlfriend is a born and bred Floridian who is a trained chef - obviously a very good cook. She's heard me yammer on and on about cincinnati chili but she's never had it and I am not a good enough cook to make it from scratch; at least, not good enough to do it justice. I know you can order the seasoning packets or the frozen stuff, but it's just not the same. So, if any of you know of a good, replicable cincy chili recipe I can give her to make, I'd appreciate it.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/laurens...e7=Home%20Page
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

There are quite a few Skyline restaurants in Florida as well....

Clearwater
    28798 U.S. Highway 19 N (727) 791-6887
    Map this location » Smoke Free

Ft. Lauderdale
    2590 North Federal Highway (954) 566-1541

Sunrise
    2834 North University Drive (954) 741-3929

Ft. Myers
    5100-323 South Cleveland Avenue (239) 278-3929

Naples
    710 Ninth Street North (239) 649-5665

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    There are quite a few Skyline restaurants in Florida as well....
    He said good Cincinnati chili recipes.

I'm a vegetarian, so I always have to make my own. Here's a good recipe online that you could just sub real beef for if you're a meat eater. I leave out the beans and have tweaked some of the ratios, but it's a great starting point.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cincinnati-style-chili/

Quote Originally Posted by okpanda View Post
    I'm a vegetarian, so I always have to make my own. Here's a good recipe online that you could just sub real beef for if you're a meat eater. I leave out the beans and have tweaked some of the ratios, but it's a great starting point.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cincinnati-style-chili/
    no meat? no beans? How can you call that chili?

Two crucial steps, if you're using beef, are:

1) put the raw beef in the water, don't cook it first. this breaks up the meat into that fine consistency it's known for. you may need some other flavoring in this stage, but not close to all of it.

2) you have to decide how much fat you want in the chili. if you want it to have a consistency closer to a stew, leave the fat in and skip this next step. if you want to have chili closer to Skyline chili or Camp Washington or Blue Ash, take the beef and water from the stove before you add too much of the flavoring and cool it off in the fridge. When it's cold, the fat will harden at the top of the water, skim it off and begin cooking again.

I prefer skimming the fat just because it gets you closer to the Cincy style, but I'll admit the first batch I made without skimming was tasty as well.

The only tip I would add is that the longer you let it simmer, the better it tastes. If I want Cincinnati Chili for dinner I start cooking it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'm gonna try this one out. Surprised that chocolate is one of the ingredients. Is that typical for Chili recipes?
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

I'm giving this one a shot this weekend:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/authent...cinnati-chili/

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I'm gonna try this one out. Surprised that chocolate is one of the ingredients. Is that typical for Chili recipes?
    For Cincinnati style chili it's pretty typical. A lot of recipes use cocoa powder instead though. That mix of cinnamon, chocolate flavor and cloves are what gives it that different kinda taste.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    Supposedly it helps balance the flavor of tomatoes. I've heard fans of tex-men chili balk at the idea of using chocolate, but what they don't realize is that chocolate is also commonly used in Mexican cuisine, with mole sauce being the prime example.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?