Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Either yourself or someone you observed?

I was at a Cards game and it was right after Julian Tavares came back after being suspended for pine tar. We were just a few rows from the third base line and he was put into the game. It was pretty quiet and I yelled, "Ump, check him for pine tar!! Pine tar!! He's got pine tar ump!" etc.

It got a pretty good LOL.

In college our fraternity would rent the party deck at a Legends game and just give the opposing right fielder hell all game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

I attended a game against the Brewers at old County Stadium and sat in the left field bleachers. Chris Stynes dropped a routine fly ball in left and the fans gave him grief the rest of the game. He took it well though, even blew a kiss to the crowd at one point.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Haunted by walks

One year in spring training, Barry Larkin was suffering from a "sports hernia" and had a treatment that included a mesh. Whenever Larkin would make a play, a guy behind me would yell, "Ow, my mesh!"

He had a loud voice and could be heard throughout the ballpark. At one point he yelled, "I love the way fans can interact with the players!"

Eventually I turned around to see who this guy was, and he was a paunchy, bald, Coke-bottle-glasses-wearing little guy, apparently a mailman. That cracked me up most of all.

One day at Shea Stadium during a Mets-Phillies game I was sitting in the seats above the bullpen. I spent the game cursing at Roger McDowell and my buddy even poured a beer on Roger. Then lo and behold he hocks a loogie on us leaving the ballpark.

6. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-20-2013)

A good friend of mine was heckling Griffey down the third base/outfield during a Sat afternoon game a few years ago. The game was rain delayed which allowed extra tailgate time...well you get the idea. My buddy was wearing a Griffey jersey but Griffey dogged a first inning pop fly in the first, and he started to relentlessly remind Griffey he had to hustle every play. This went on for at least three solid defensive innings.

Well, that was the game Griffey threw out a runner at third or home (can't remember) took off his glove and pointed to my buddy that he had 10 gold gloves how many does he have. Later on, he also grabbed his sports cup and signaled over to us. Later in the game, Griffey made the throat slash up to the booth and by Monday, he was traded to Chicago.

A few weeks later, I was at a neighborhood party, when a neighbor who happened to have been traveling to Chicago on a business call, starts to describe a story on sports talk, saying the interaction in right field with a fan started the snowball to the trade. I had to say, well you know that guy was my buddy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post
    A good friend of mine was heckling Griffey down the third base/outfield during a Sat afternoon game a few years ago. The game was rain delayed which allowed extra tailgate time...well you get the idea. My buddy was wearing a Griffey jersey but Griffey dogged a first inning pop fly in the first, and he started to relentlessly remind Griffey he had to hustle every play. This went on for at least three solid defensive innings.

Well, that was the game Griffey threw out a runner at third or home (can't remember) took off his glove and pointed to my buddy that he had 10 gold gloves how many does he have. Later on, he also grabbed his sports cup and signaled over to us. Later in the game, Griffey made the throat slash up to the booth and by Monday, he was traded to Chicago.

A few weeks later, I was at a neighborhood party, when a neighbor who happened to have been traveling to Chicago on a business call, starts to describe a story on sports talk, saying the interaction in right field with a fan started the snowball to the trade. I had to say, well you know that guy was my buddy ...

Did that story ever make the media rounds, it sounds familiar?

I have told this story a few times but will again. It was 1976, and I was sitting in pretty good seats behind the Red Sox dugout for a game against Oakland. There was a famous fight promoter named Sam Silverman sitting near us with not yet famous Marvin Hagler (future middle weight champion), John Dino Dennis (fought Muhamad Ali), and other young fighters.

The Sox had had a great 1975 season but were struggling in 1976. On top of that there were Red Sox' players rumored to be ready to test the new aspect of free agency. It was brand new and was a worry.

Carlton Fisk was one of those players. After an out, he was returning to the dugout when a drunken fan sitting in our section stood up, pointed a finger at Fisk, and yelled, "Fisk, you're ruining baseball!" Fisk looked like he was about to climb the dugout roof and come after the guy. The fan actually got scared and meekly sat down.

The coolest thing was the reaction of the boxers. They were laughing and slapping each other. They obviously found that the coolest part of the game.

A couple of years ago, I was at the minor league park in Little Rock, Arkansas. I was sitting in the area known as the Beer Garden. There was a group there that turned out to be Little Rock fire fighters.

One fire fighter was wearing a Portland Sea Dogs hat. He started hassling the umpire...but he was so weak. He was yelling with a fake English accent things like, "Hey, ump! Henceforth, ye shall be known as Jimmy!" "You're missing a good game, Jimmy!" "You're seeing double and feeling single, Jimmy!"

He was such a poor heckler, he'd almost turned it into a creative art form.

I have a few others, but those are my favorites.
    Last edited by Spitball; 09-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

11. Likes:

cincinnati chili (07-21-2013)

A few years back,in one of the last seasons in Montreal, Carl Pavano was pitching against the Mets. The place was pretty empty so we were in the 6th or 7th row between the Mets dugout and the plate. Pavano was throwing well but everytime he got 2 strikes on the batter he would throw the same pitch. It looked like a slider but who knows if it was a cutter or what. It irritated me that he was throwing such a predictable pitch selection so the next time he had two pitches on a Met, I yelled out "Here comes the slider!" before Pavano went into his windup. He still threw it and the guy still missed it. I did that a couple of more times before giving it up as a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Did that story ever make the media rounds, it sounds familiar?
    Not sure, but it was a little out of hand and we ruined the night of several people in that section. As I approach 40, 'those guys' would have irked me big time. LOL. We still talk about it to this day, as the heckler is a grade school friend who was a groomsman in my wedding many years ago.

Does anyone remember this story about Griffey being heckled in Los Angeles?

http://deadspin.com/260239/ken-griff...-with-hecklers
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Does anyone remember this story about Griffey being heckled in Los Angeles?

http://deadspin.com/260239/ken-griff...-with-hecklers
    That was funny and reminds me of our 'transaction' with Jr. We were just reminding him to hustle!

I was two rows behind you man. I was there. I remember it like it was yesterday, and it was hilarious. I remember he hit a home run and did the throat slash, and riding back home on the radio they kept thinking that it was meant for someone in the media, but we all knew it was for the guy giving him hell over on the first base line.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Stat geek...and proud

I remember the Griffey thing, but I never bought into the idea that it had anything to do with the trade. It was just time. Trade happens regardless, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    One day at Shea Stadium during a Mets-Phillies game I was sitting in the seats above the bullpen. I spent the game cursing at Roger McDowell and my buddy even poured a beer on Roger. Then lo and behold he hocks a loogie on us leaving the ballpark.
    Was it a magic loogie coming from that gravely road?

19. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?