Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Re: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I absolutely HATE hecklers. They are one of the main reasons I watch more on TV and attend less. If the game I attend is not crowded I move and if it is I speak to an usher. My theory is that they are either inebriated or so insecure that it is a search for their 'fifteen minutes". Either way I do not want to be in their presence.
    I am generally with you my friend. The occasional funny comment is fine, but the rubes who constantly heckle with the typical lame old garbage make me sick. And, I totally agree with your theory.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cheer on your own team or even cheer for an opposing player if you want to. Booing or heckling.... leave it at home.

4. Likes:

smixsell (07-15-2013)

If you heckle, keep it clean, keep it light-hearted, and keep it funny. Also, have the good sense to do it during the natural lulls in the action. Yelling during play is bad form, IMO.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

6. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-16-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

We used to go out into the first row of the outfield seats at Riverfront during BP and see if we could get a rise out of the opposing team. Nothing nasty or obnoxious. Just trying to razz them. We'd cite stats, stuff like that. Occasionally, a guy would engage in a long conversation with us. We took Bret Butler to task when he was dealt from SF to LA (or vice versa, I can't recall) and he had made statements about both being his dream come true. Forced him into a defense of himself.

A pitcher we were razzing once asked us what our salaries were and informed us what his take-home pay was every check. I thought that was funny. Can't recall who that was.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Two stories:

1. I was at a Long Island Ducks Independent League baseball game with my cousin, who was heckling Armando Benitez as he was walking to the dugout before the game. My cousin is a Yankees fan and took great joy in reminding Benitez of his failures with the Mets, and of his six fingers. Benitez stopped about 10 feet from us, and stared without blinking at my cousin for a solid 15 seconds. For a brief moment I thought I was going to be a part of a Ron Artest baseball-version moment.

2. I was at a Reds-Nats game a few years ago, and the fans in right field were relentlessly heckling Mike Morse. Morse, being the class act that he is, made some crude gestures towards his genitalia and posterior, and in his very next at bat, hit a home run to right field. Needless to say, when he came out to play defense the next half inning, the right field stands were pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Cheer on your own team or even cheer for an opposing player if you want to. Booing or heckling.... leave it at home.
    It's entertainment man. Heckling always has its limits. But if I pay 50 bucks for a ticket and more for parking and food, I'm going to boo if I want to boo. These guys get paid BIG money to perform. If they can't handle some boos they need to find a new profession.

10. Likes:

WMR (07-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    It's entertainment man. Heckling always has its limits. But if I pay 50 bucks for a ticket and more for parking and food, I'm going to boo if I want to boo. These guys get paid BIG money to perform. If they can't handle some boos they need to find a new profession.
    Ah. Yeah. You paid for the ticket so who cares about having some respect for someone else?

12. Likes:

Bumstead (07-16-2013)

Oh man, I left out my most memorable heckling story of all time. I was at a Reds-Astros game, and Carlos Lee was playing left field for the Astros at the time. Apparently, Lee owns a banana farm in his hometown (can't remember where he's from), so a guy came dressed to the game AS A BANANA, and sat in the left field seats, screaming "Come on Carlos, come get some potassium!" the entire game.

At first, it was funny, and even Lee got a chuckle out of it. But the guy continue to drank, and the jokes eventually turned tasteless and embarrassing. Definitely a case of taking it too far.

14. Likes:

joshua (07-19-2013)

Ah. Yeah. You paid for the ticket so who cares about having some respect for someone else?
    That's right, that's exactly what I said. That I would disrespect them.

Not.

You and I seem to have differing opinions on what a "boo" means, so we should just leave it at that. A "boo" isn't an all-encompassing term that also includes derogatory language and throwing things at people. I played sports in high school. I was booed. I turned out ok emotionally.

16. Likes:

joshua (07-19-2013),WMR (07-16-2013)

That's right, that's exactly what I said. That I would disrespect them.

Not.

You and I seem to have differing opinions on what a "boo" means, so we should just leave it at that. A "boo" isn't an all-encompassing term that also includes derogatory language and throwing things at people. I played sports in high school. I was booed. I turned out ok emotionally.
    I am sure they can all handle it just fine. I just think it is silly and juvenile to boo someone.

Are we talking about booing or heckling?

Because I also paid $50 for that ticket, and I paid to enjoy a game, not listen to your mouth (not your mouth, I'm talking about heckling in general). Booing for a couple of seconds when a certain player is announced is one thing, but I've had more than one drunken idiot removed from our section when they decided that everybody was there to listen to them rather than watch a baseball game.

19. Likes:

mth123 (07-16-2013)

I have 2.....one I'll have to find on here (it's tough to beat)....

Here's my 2nd one. My son and I were front row in section 145 against the Mets when they had Angel Pagan in CF. in the 1st inning some clown kept chanting his name (incorrectly) PAY GUN...PAYGUN....PAYGUN, very loud and irritating. Angel never gave the guy a glance or any acknowledgement.....but then made a sensational catch in the gap, hit a 3 run HR and had 3 hits and 5 RBI by the 5th inning....needless to say the heckler got up and moved in the 4th inning and Pagan after his highlight filled 4 1/2 innings came out in the bottom of the 5th with a stern glare looking in the direction of where the heckler way....my son and I gave him the thumbs up.

I told the clown that the last time I witnessed such heckling Matt Kemp killed us....be careful heckling and making professional athletes focus! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    We used to go out into the first row of the outfield seats at Riverfront during BP and see if we could get a rise out of the opposing team. Nothing nasty or obnoxious. Just trying to razz them. We'd cite stats, stuff like that. Occasionally, a guy would engage in a long conversation with us. We took Bret Butler to task when he was dealt from SF to LA (or vice versa, I can't recall) and he had made statements about both being his dream come true. Forced him into a defense of himself.

A pitcher we were razzing once asked us what our salaries were and informed us what his take-home pay was every check. I thought that was funny. Can't recall who that was.
    Orlando Merced sends his regards.

Says the guy who posted he will get up and leave his seat at any time -- regardless of who is inconvenienced -- because you paid for a ticket like everyone else.

Again, you aren't more important than me or anyone else nor is your watching the game for every last second of play more important than mine is to go to the restroom, get a drink, get food, go shop or anything else that comes along with my ticket price.
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 07-16-2013 at 01:06 AM.

23. Likes:

joshua (07-19-2013),KYRedLeg (07-16-2013),WMR (07-16-2013)

This will be tough to top

About 6 years ago on Father's Day my wife and I had front row seats in 142 or 143 (right on aisle by stairs and security guy)...it was when Griffey was in RF with around 584 HR and Sammy Sosa had 599 HR for Rangers.

From the get go some large man in an Adam Dunn jersey kept cheering for Sammy to be given an AB (hit his 599 the night before I believe)....Griffey kept turning around and making fun of the guy jokingly giving the "been drinking and crazy signs, along with the sit and shush it sign"....the guy was relentless. Also it was around 100 degrees and my wife found the misters in CF and stayed there with many others. I was dying but stuck it out in my favorite seats. In the 7th Sammy got to PH and the big guy was going nuts....Sammy got out and Jr jogged in and about 10 rows up the Dunn fan was quiet. Coming out for the top of the 8th Griffey is jogging right at me with a ball...for a moment I thought, is he giving me a ball? When he came up to the wall he asked me "Where's he at?".....as I turn around to look this guy is hauling tail down the steps and hip checks me out of the way. Griffey looks at him, tosses the ball to him. The guy is simply panicking while quickly looking at the ball. He sees something written on the ball and asks "What's it say? What's it say?" I point to the autograph and tell him that it's Sammy Sosa's autograph. I look to Griffey and he's got a huge smile and winks at us and tells the guy...."Happy Father's Day big guy".....the guy had tears going down his face.

It was so awesome and me, Griffey and that guy were the only ones there to appreciate it.
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-16-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Turn Off Ads?