Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Re: Anyone have any good heckling stories?

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Went to a Carolina Mudcats game many years ago, long before they were a Reds affiliate, and there was a guy named Jorge Nunez on the opposing team. My buddy and I, after a barley soda or two, decided we just liked the sound of his name. So every time he came to bat, we just yelled his name: "HOOOOOORRR-HAAAAAY, NOOOOOO-NYEZZZZ" (think Homer heckling "FLAN-ders" on The Simpsons). It actually startled us how loud we were because the crowd was as quiet as a library and our voices really carried, so there's no way Jorge didn't hear us. We got some other fans to chime in too.

It was completely stupid and lame, and it made us giggle like schoolgirls. I kept checking and hoping old Jorge would make it to The Show but alas, he topped out at AAA ball.
    Did you clap 5 times after you yelled his name? That name is perfect for the "clap, clap, clapclapclap" cheer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Heckling at its worst- Was at a Clippers game in the mid '00s, and they were playing the Phillie's affiliate, which unfortunately contained Marlon Byrd. Every time old Marlon would come up to the plate, a large grey haired man next to us would yell, "Alright Clippers, let's clip Byrd's wings!"

My own "highlight" would have to be when I was a kid, my Dad would take me out to a Laker game or two for Christmas, to which we'd always go early to get autographs. One certain afternoon Rick Fox began to jog out, slowly considered stopping to sign, then continued running on. Perturbed, I blurted out, "Hey Rick tell your wife hello for me" when he was still married to Vanessa Williams. This was enough for him to almost stop, turn around, and give me quite a menacing glare, which elicited a few nervous chuckles in our section. Needless to say, he did not autograph my program on the way back either.

4. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (07-21-2013)

They call me "chef"

Once before a Reds Pirates game, Joey Votto said "“Brandon’s a teammate I’ve played with six, seven years now and I love playing with him. I really have an immense amount of respect for him. Those comments have nothing to do with me. It doesn’t change a single thing, it makes me like him more, to be honest with you. Not many players are very honest, usually they give catch phrases, similar to what I’m doing right now."

I attended a Reds/Padres game a few years back, (the one that went 18 innings) and sat next to a young couple that I can only describe as yuppies. We had excellent seats, sitting three rows up from the field and less than ten feet from the ondeck circle. Anyhow, the young lady, (who was very attractive) started in on Griffey while he was in the ondeck circle. She was telling him what a nice ass he had and what a fine looking man he was, that kind of stuff. It was getting to him, as he turned around a couple of times, and you could tell he was genuinely embarrassed. The crowd around us picked up on how embarrassed he was, and Griffey's smile and embarrassment really endeared him to the crowd. Anyhow, a few innings later, (quite a few as it turned out) the girls boyfriend tells Griffey, "You know what Griffey, you did it the right way" (a reference to not taking steroids), and several others in the crowd chimed in with, that's right, nobody can accuse you of cheating, and you were an inspiration to our kids, that kind of stuff. It was truly a remarkable scene, that sent goose bumps up my spine. Griffey turned around and tipped his cap to everyone.

7. Likes:

mth123 (07-20-2013),Redeyecat (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Did you clap 5 times after you yelled his name? That name is perfect for the "clap, clap, clapclapclap" cheer.
    Nope, darn it. But you know what they say, heckling hindsight is 20/20.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Also a perfect cheer for when you're playing the Cubs:

"NINE-TEEN OH-EIGHT! (clap, clap, clapclapclap!)

(Maybe while wearing a customized Cubs jersey with "BARTMAN" on the back and "1908" as the number, while wearing a solid blue undershirt with a big white "L" on it, and leading a goat on a leash.)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-21-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I heckled Bryce Harper for nearly an entire game at the end of 2012.

With a few die hard Cards friends at Bush in the "green seats" on third base side near the batters circle.

Every time he came up we would shout out things along the lines of "thats a clown question bro", or "my favorite beer is a budweiser"... etc. Very clean not very offensive. He was having a hitting drought that night and the 3rd time he was up we definitely caught some hatred glares..... I'm surprised our heads didn't explode instantly.

Pretty tame, but fun nontheless.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    I attended a Reds/Padres game a few years back, (the one that went 18 innings) and sat next to a young couple that I can only describe as yuppies. We had excellent seats, sitting three rows up from the field and less than ten feet from the ondeck circle. Anyhow, the young lady, (who was very attractive) started in on Griffey while he was in the ondeck circle. She was telling him what a nice ass he had and what a fine looking man he was, that kind of stuff. It was getting to him, as he turned around a couple of times, and you could tell he was genuinely embarrassed. The crowd around us picked up on how embarrassed he was, and Griffey's smile and embarrassment really endeared him to the crowd. Anyhow, a few innings later, (quite a few as it turned out) the girls boyfriend tells Griffey, "You know what Griffey, you did it the right way" (a reference to not taking steroids), and several others in the crowd chimed in with, that's right, nobody can accuse you of cheating, and you were an inspiration to our kids, that kind of stuff. It was truly a remarkable scene, that sent goose bumps up my spine. Griffey turned around and tipped his cap to everyone.
    I think this was on a Sunday -- Corey Patterson went 0 for like 8; and summoned the call-up of Jay Bruce. I'm almost sure. Was it in san diego
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I think this was on a Sunday -- Corey Patterson went 0 for like 8; and summoned the call-up of Jay Bruce. I'm almost sure. Was it in san diego
    It was in SD. Greg Maddux started for the Pads, and Volquez came out of the pen and gave up HR to Gonzalez. The wife sat thru the whole 18 innings with me. Real trooper.

Some of the worst I heard were the Steve Howe days. The guy had quite a stomach and took a lot of junk from a lot of people.

Turn Off Ads?