Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto should be batting second for now.......

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Votto should be batting second for now.......

1. Bruce is hot
    2. Votto is hitting, but probably has had his power sapped a bit by the pain in his knee.
    3. Can't pitch around Votto (3 almost intentional walks the other night) if he's batting second. And he's an OBP machine.
    4. BP is hot too.
    5. BP and Votto hot means runners on the basepaths for the 3 and 4 hitters.
    6. Maintains the righty, lefty, righty thing Dusty likes.
    7. Hit and run is a good option if BP is being held on 1B with the lefty Votto up there to pull it through the 1B/2B opening.

2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    Option - either Frazier, Ludwick or even Hanigan
    RF Bruce
    Option - same options
    Option - same options, I don't care
    CF - Heisey
    SS - Valdez/Gregorius

RH
    LH
    RH
    LH

Hottest hitters and best power hitters in the right spots. Just my temporary lineup to finish the season.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Votto should be batting second for now.......

Do we want Votto racing around the basepaths and frequently being the lead runner?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Do we want Votto racing around the basepaths and frequently being the lead runner?
    If he's on the bases, he's running hard either way. I would not want to design my offense so that when my best OBP guy gets on base he won't have to run.

I agree Votto would be a perfect fit batting 2nd, making pitchers less likely to pitch around him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I agree. In fact I have been arguing all season that Votto should be hitting second. That .474 OBP is largely wasted when he comes to the plate so often with two outs.

Turn Off Ads?