Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Reds just peak early?

Did the Reds just peak early?

A few weeks ago, the Reds were the hottest, most exciting team in baseball and seemed to be building momentum for the post-season.

While they just evened the Astro's series yesterday and are 22-15 for the August - September time frame, the team seems to be playing a somewhat lethargic, uninspired game the last couple of weeks. They've made more errors than normal, hitting has fallen off, the pitching has been uneven and they've even endured a couple of eyebrow-raising losing streaks. 22-15 isn't a bad record, but it isn't great either.

Is it my imagination, or did the Reds just peak?

Or is this just a team coasting on auto-pilot to make it through the final, dog days of summer?

One long losing streak and they're lead could evaporate quickly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Well, for one....we won't know for 4 more weeks.

It's unpredictable on who will be hot to start the playoffs.

Re: Did the Reds just peak early?

They probably do have it on cruise control the rest of the regular season.

Take my word, the Reds will NOT blow their huge lead.

No the Reds are fine. The only difference is that they have some changes to adjust to and it should be enough time by the time the playoffs get here.
    Adjustments:
    1. Who will start in CF
    2. The return of Votto
    3. The 3B situation with Frazier and Rolen

(Why X Paul will be in the line-up at all the rest of the year I do not know. Frazier and Heisey should be seeing time there with Ludwick as the starter.)

Tough having the Rookie of the Year on the bench when Rolen returns.

Adjustments take time. I think the Reds will get in a groove again.

With 9.5 game lead on the division, it doesn't make sense to got full steam and risk injury. On top of that, we are a few weeks away from the post-season.

If they were only 2-3 games ahread, I would be worried but they are not.

Yes, we now have a month of meaningless games and going through the motions before getting tossed in the fire against the Giants pitching staff in games that are critical. Playing hard and good to the end is way so many WC teams make playoff runs.

While I agree the Reds should have this division locked up with a 9.5 game lead, starting the 18th, the Cardinals play 9 straight games against the Astros, Cubs, and Astros again. It is not out of the realm of possibility for the Cards to win 9 straight against these poor teams. We need to keep the pressure on by at least playing .500 the rest of the way. We have played poorly the last couple of weeks. Our hitting has really fallen off. As I write this, the Cards have just beaten the Brewers in extras, so our lead is down to 8.5 games. With 21 games to go, we better win at least 10....12 would be
    better. We can't afford to just 'coast' to the end.

We've got a big enough lead that we can probably hang on as long as we don't go on a long losing steak. To many bats slumping right now, so sprinkle a few wins in now until our hitting comes around. Rather this happen now then the begining of October, if we're hitting like this at GABP come playoff time it's gonna be a quick exit.

If we go .500 the rest of the way, the Cards would have to go 21-2. Just think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    If we go .500 the rest of the way, the Cards would have to go 21-2. Just think about that.
    And the way we've played against the worst team in baseball......500 sounds great.

Yes. The season is over.

this team can suck all they want right now because the cardinals aren't catching them. If they suck like this in the playoffs then its bye bye Baker and some big moves need to be made

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    this team can suck all they want right now because the cardinals aren't catching them. If they suck like this in the playoffs then its bye bye Baker and some big moves need to be made
    Other than winning the world series in a sweep I assume you feel Dusty should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    And the way we've played against the worst team in baseball......500 sounds great.
    Now way this team plays .500 the rest of the regular season, .400 is more like it, that should still win the division and then 1 and done, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Now way this team plays .500 the rest of the regular season, .400 is more like it, that should still win the division and then 1 and done, I'm afraid.
    I dont care what anyone says, losing in the first round again would be a failure of a season

Turn Off Ads?