Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did the Reds just peak early?

Re: Did the Reds just peak early?

20% of the teams win a division each year, they are nice but they don't mean much anymore. Would much rather make it on the last day as a WC thanks to two teams folding like the Cardinals had happen and then go on to win it all because that's what gets glory and people remember.

I'm not sure how many casual fans know the Marlins have never won a division but they all know they have a couple titles.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With 21 games remaining before the playoffs there is plenty of time to turn the hitting around. I'd rather have it happening now then later. But without a doubt if they're hitting is this bad come playoff time it'll be over quick for them imo.

I may be giving Dusty and Walt more credit than they deserve, but sometimes resting players and obviously injuries and returning players has the effect of taking the winds out of a teams sail's and that could be at least purposeful to put a bit of a governor on an engine running hot in an attempt to cool it down a bit and get it smoking again at the right time. As a swimmer by trade, coaches did that to us all the time in training. A risker and far more difficult thing to do with a team for sure, but you have to hope there is at least consideration given to the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    20% of the teams win a division each year, they are nice but they don't mean much anymore. Would much rather make it on the last day as a WC thanks to two teams folding like the Cardinals had happen and then go on to win it all because that's what gets glory and people remember.

I'm not sure how many casual fans know the Marlins have never won a division but they all know they have a couple titles.
    I totally disagree that winning the division doesn't mean much. To my mind, winning the division is the truest test of baseball excellence. Probably you're right about casual fans knowing more about the playoffs, but that's a view of a person not close to the game (by definition) and thus one I care little about. When this team wins the division, I will be immensely proud and happy of that fact and think often of the six months of joy that underlie the title. What happens in October won't remotely change that.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I totally disagree that winning the division doesn't mean much. To my mind, winning the division is the truest test of baseball excellence. Probably you're right about casual fans knowing more about the playoffs, but that's a view of a person not close to the game (by definition) and thus one I care little about. When this team wins the division, I will be immensely proud and happy of that fact and think often of the six months of joy that underlie the title. What happens in October won't remotely change that.
    Feel free to disagree all you like but the reality is nobody remembers who wins the division, the Braves won all those division titles and only have one WS and to many they're known as choke artists.

When the baseball had the two divisions and those teams met in the WS they meant everything and even held their value when 4 teams got in but in a era where some division just have to beat 3 other teams or you get a 6 team NL central that has two or of worst teams in all of baseball in it they don't mean a whole lot anymore.

The second a team celebrates winning the division they don't care one bit about it anymore. Players want to win in the playoffs and if they don't all winter they don't sit around happy the team gets to put a year on a wall someplace and sell some T-shirts they are upset about the playoffs all year. If you ask any player if they would rather have a 15 year career of making the playoffs every year as Division winner with no ring or winning the title as a Wild Card and they will take the ring.

The Brewers won our division last year, a team they beat to win it got all the glory. Who's fans are more happy this winter, do you think there is one Brewers fan bragging they won the Division?

The Reds may go on out in the first round (I doubt it). But if they play well that is acceptable. If they roll over like they did in 2010, that would be unacceptable.

Feel free to disagree all you like but the reality is nobody remembers who wins the division, the Braves won all those division titles and only have one WS and to many they're known as choke artists.

When the baseball had the two divisions and those teams met in the WS they meant everything and even held their value when 4 teams got in but in a era where some division just have to beat 3 other teams or you get a 6 team NL central that has two or of worst teams in all of baseball in it they don't mean a whole lot anymore.

The second a team celebrates winning the division they don't care one bit about it anymore. Players want to win in the playoffs and if they don't all winter they don't sit around happy the team gets to put a year on a wall someplace and sell some T-shirts they are upset about the playoffs all year. If you ask any player if they would rather have a 15 year career of making the playoffs every year as Division winner with no ring or winning the title as a Wild Card and they will take the ring.

The Brewers won our division last year, a team they beat to win it got all the glory. Who's fans are more happy this winter, do you think there is one Brewers fan bragging they won the Division?
    A lot of truth to this. 10 teams make the postseason now. It is getting more and more of a tournament feel to it. It is hard for me to call the 4th and 5th best teams in a league World Champions. But that is the hand we are being dealt these days. Some call it progress.

World Series Champs or bust this season.

With the bullpen, top 2 SP's, MVP Votto, and ROTY Frazier, nobody should be satisfied with just a measley NL Central Division Title this year.

That was satisfactory for 2010, but this is the Reds year. I can't remember a season when the media loved the Reds as much as this one, the buzz about this team has a WS feel, and I'm not going to let the subpar stretch this teams been on worry me.

Chapman is resting up for the playoffs. Cueto will be fine. He always comes back. He's still got time to do it. Latos is a stud.

We still have a scary good offense with some of the guys in our lineup.

Guys this team will be ready and fully charged come October. We STILL have a huge lead and many of the other teams in the playoff hunt don't have that luxury. THEY will be the ones that will be exhausted.

The Reds will be fully charged and ready for the playoffs. I really think right now they are simply going through the motions and just trying to stay healthy and rested for October.

I am still worried to death about the lineup Dusty might use in the postseason but I have no doubt fatigue won't be an issue for this team.

[QUOTE=Red Buckeye;2733023]World Series Champs or bust this season.

I am sick and tired of that attiude-sp of Cincy Fans. Most of them compare every darn good Reds team to the Big Red Machine. People there was only one of those. Enjoy this team for what it is a very good team. I think they should make the NLCS at least. But if not, they should be appreciated for giving us a great summer!

Your arguments present something of a moving target. My response was directed at your statement that winning the division doesn't "mean much anymore." You respond by telling me that the Braves won a bunch of division titles but who remembers them, when the truth is that nearly everyone remembers that. Then you ask whether the Brewers or STL fans are happier with how last year turned out, and I grant the STL answer is obvious, but does that really support the notion that winning the division doesn't mean much? Don't you think MIL fans enjoyed last year a lot more than we did? And isn't that part of the point of being a fan?

[QUOTE=Carin4Narron;2733474]
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    World Series Champs or bust this season.

I am sick and tired of that attiude-sp of Cincy Fans. Most of them compare every darn good Reds team to the Big Red Machine. People there was only one of those. Enjoy this team for what it is a very good team. I think they should make the NLCS at least. But if not, they should be appreciated for giving us a great summer!
    I do appreciate what they have done so far It's been very enjoyable and I'm not trying to imply it hasn't been. But this team has the pieces to win a WS.

Great top of the rotation SP...Check
    Dominant Bullpen...Check
    Game changing players on offense...Check

It's not like I'm going to be personally mad at them if they come short this year. But this team imo is better than all of the other NL teams, especially now that the Nats won't have Strasburg for the playoffs.

So yeah with the way this season has gone this team should at least be able to make it to the WS.

And where in my post did I compare them to the BRM? They're not even in the same league as the BRM.

[QUOTE=Red Buckeye;2733604]
    Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post

I do appreciate what they have done so far It's been very enjoyable and I'm not trying to imply it hasn't been. But this team has the pieces to win a WS.

Great top of the rotation SP...Check
    Dominant Bullpen...Check
    Game changing players on offense...Check

It's not like I'm going to be personally mad at them if they come short this year. But this team imo is better than all of the other NL teams, especially now that the Nats won't have Strasburg for the playoffs.

So yeah with the way this season has gone this team should at least be able to make it to the WS.

And where in my post did I compare them to the BRM? They're not even in the same league as the BRM.

You sound like a rational Reds fan. But your statement of world series or bust was a stupid one. Not you but most older Reds fans compare every good Reds team with the RRM or the Reds are the single source of their happiness.

I find that frustraing and/or disturbing!

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Your arguments present something of a moving target. My response was directed at your statement that winning the division doesn't "mean much anymore." You respond by telling me that the Braves won a bunch of division titles but who remembers them, when the truth is that nearly everyone remembers that. Then you ask whether the Brewers or STL fans are happier with how last year turned out, and I grant the STL answer is obvious, but does that really support the notion that winning the division doesn't mean much? Don't you think MIL fans enjoyed last year a lot more than we did? And isn't that part of the point of being a fan?
    Fans remember the Braves run because they only won 1 WS, if they won several rings they would be know as one of the greatest teams ever rather one of the biggest postseason failures of all time.

The Brewers fans may have enjoyed the regular season but it ended with them feeling much worse than our fans did the whole year. Their division title was useless because a team they beat out for it won the NL over them and then won the World Title.

I bet next to nobody here can run off the last 30 teams to win each of the divisions over the last 5 years but I bet most everyone can name almost all of the World Series winners since the strike if you have been watching that long.

Everybody's goal is the WS. A division title is worthless. I think the 2010 Reds learned that. They played so poorly and sloppy in the divisional series.

At least the WC team will have to do more to earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Everybody's goal is the WS. A division title is worthless.
    a typical insane statement of a normal so called Reds fan! Let me ask you something, bud, would a Reds World Championship change your life personally? The answer is a big fat NO! Let's just enjoy this playoff run, whatever happens,happens. They gave us one heck of a summer!

Turn Off Ads?