Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Hanigan??????????

Ryan Hanigan??????????

Except Votto,Bruce,and Phillips ,I believe he is the most valuable everyday player on the Reds.I also think he is the most undervalued and underpaid player in baseball.I also believe we misuse his bat,by keeping him batting 8th in the lineup.

I think his skills are comparable to Yadier Molina's .Molina makes 96 mil for 10 years.Hanigan makes 4 mil for 3 years.Baker's reluctance to bat him anywhere except 7th or 8th(no matter your opinion) I believe suppresses his batting potential.

It amazes me he hasn't gone to arbitration.Can he file for arbitration ,even though he has a contract?
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Hanigan??????????

Molina has been starting since he was 22, he has 3500 PA's and is 2 years younger than Hanigan and has more pop and is a more athletic player, Hanigan has just over 1000 PA's and is 30.

I like Hanigan but as far as money goes he and Molina live in a different neighborhood and will continue to do so.

Nope. Arbitration only exists for players with a certain amount of playing experience who are not yet eligible for free agency. Teams sign players to longer term contracts to avoid the arbitration process with them. It's a good deal for the club usually, but it also gives the player some stability.

Hanigan is indeed very valuable, but I think he's particularly valuable in 8th spot because he has a good eye(and draws a lot of walks) but doesn't have a great deal of power or a particularly high batting average.

Obviously it's a bigger deal in the NL, but a batter who can get on base is of particular importance in the 8 spot to make sure the pitcher isn't leading off the next inning.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This offense could be soooo much better if we had a manager who knew how to maximize it's potential. Instead, we get lineups like today with a triple A shortstop batting 2nd, simply because in Dusty's lineups the SS or CFer HAVE TO BE near the top of the lineup. Made zero sense.

maybe some of these guys do good because of some of the decisions Dusty makes concerning them that are not as transparent as where a guy us slotted in the batting order.

There is more than one way to maximize talent.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    maybe some of these guys do good because of some of the decisions Dusty makes concerning them that are not as transparent as where a guy us slotted in the batting order.

I agree on this point and in general on Dusty, though admittedly I do think the CF/SS stuff is a little odd.

Maybe there actually is a good reason for putting Cozart and Stubbs at the top of the lineup.

It does seem like we have reached the bottom of the excuse barrel when we have to resort to saying something like "I don't know what it is and nobody else does either, but there must be a good reason."

Maybe it is something paranormal or otherworldly.

Maybe Dusty inhabits a Bizzaro world where if you do the reverse of what the statistical probabilities say you should then everything will cancel out.

Maybe Dusty is using George Costanza's strategy of doing the exact opposite of what you would normally do and things will work out better. So far, so good!

Maybe Dusty's strategy is to build the team's confidence by showing them no matter how poorly I assemble the lineup we still can't lose!

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Except Votto,Bruce,and Phillips ,I believe he is the most valuable everyday player on the Reds.I also think he is the most undervalued and underpaid player in baseball.I also believe we misuse his bat,by keeping him batting 8th in the lineup.

I think his skills are comparable to Yadier Molina's .Molina makes 96 mil for 10 years.Hanigan makes 4 mil for 3 years.Baker's reluctance to bat him anywhere except 7th or 8th(no matter your opinion) I believe suppresses his batting potential.

It amazes me he hasn't gone to arbitration.Can he file for arbitration ,even though he has a contract?
    I agree that Hanigan is an under-appreciated weapon in the Reds' arsenal. His contributions on defense and in handling the pitching staff can't be properly quantified statistically. He is a very valuable and important part of the reason why this team is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

West, your on the money. I would argue that Dusty's managerial skills far surpass most when it comes to managing personalities, team camaraderie, and playing time. I think his track record of success supports this.

However, he manages lineups as if the game hasn't evolved since he played. He places stakes in the ground in certain things like batting the catcher 8th. It's his own paradigm of thought. It often works out in the win column, but I think they win despite his lineups in some games. I fear that in a 5 game series against comparable or better pitching these stakes he sets in the ground will ultimately be detrimental to the club. I hope I am wrong, but I worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Hannigan is a nice catcher and likely underrated, but he's miles behind Molina in pretty much everything.

If you batted Hannigan 2nd, his OBA would likely dip 40 or so points.

Hanigan is the reds that I like to watch the most. It's nice when somebody else appreciates your favorite player.

Hanigan was in the reds minor league system forever and I believe was actually released during one of his stays in AA. Like Todd Frazier, he arrived at the major league level at a seasoned age. He may not get a ton better than what he is, but what can do is pretty valuable.

It may be that if you batted Hanigan 2nd his OBP would drop 40 points, but boy would I like to find out and I'm a Dusty supporter.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Maybe there actually is a good reason for putting Cozart and Stubbs at the top of the lineup.

It does seem like we have reached the bottom of the excuse barrel when we have to resort to saying something like "I don't know what it is and nobody else does either, but there must be a good reason."

Maybe it is something paranormal or otherworldly.

Maybe Dusty inhabits a Bizzaro world where if you do the reverse of what the statistical probabilities say you should then everything will cancel out.

Maybe Dusty is using George Costanza's strategy of doing the exact opposite of what you would normally do and things will work out better. So far, so good!

Maybe Dusty's strategy is to build the team's confidence by showing them no matter how poorly I assemble the lineup we still can't lose!
    Or maybe keeping players in well defined roles is more important to the team winning games than who hits at the top of the lineup? This season could be used as supreme evidence that lineups really don't matter much.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Arbitration only exists for players with a certain amount of playing experience who are not yet eligible for free agency.
    It doesn't happen often, but a player with 6 or more years of service whose contract expires can elect arbitration over free agency, provided that his team tenders him a contract.

This happened with Roger Clemens late in his career. The Astros (I think) were sure he would opt for free agency so they tendered Clemens a contract, knowing that they would get a couple draft picks if he opted for free agency. Clemens decided to go to arbitration, shocking his team and foiling their plans for cost certainty and a couple draft picks.

I'm not totally downloaded on the latest CBA, but I'm pretty sure this is still the rule.
    Stick to your guns.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    It doesn't happen often, but a player with 6 or more years of service whose contract expires can elect arbitration over free agency, provided that his team tenders him a contract.

This happened with Roger Clemens late in his career. The Astros (I think) were sure he would opt for free agency so they tendered Clemens a contract, knowing that they would get a couple draft picks if he opted for free agency. Clemens decided to go to arbitration, shocking his team and foiling their plans for cost certainty and a couple draft picks.

I'm not totally downloaded on the latest CBA, but I'm pretty sure this is still the rule.
    IIRC Greg Maddux did this, and got a huge award in arbitration (though I think they settled prior to arbitration, but the threat was there). The Braves were then forced to trade, IIRC, Millwood to afford Maddux?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Hannigan is a nice catcher and likely underrated, but he's miles behind Molina in pretty much everything.

If you batted Hannigan 2nd, his OBA would likely dip 40 or so points.
    I beg to differ.I believe he would get more pitches to hit,and he makes contact.It is funny to me that we hate bunting ,yet are ready to sacrifice Hanigan's batting skills just to supposedly keep the pitcher from leading off???

Just when I thought I was grasping sabermetrics..........
    May the Lord bless

Turn Off Ads?