Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest on PDC's

Re: Latest on PDC's

There was nowhere for them to go....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just to address a couple of items in this thread:

1) Could Dayton affiliate with someone other than the Reds? Not without the Reds permission, meaning in reality, no. Reds control the territory.

2) Could Dayton ever be a Double-A or Triple-A franchise? There is nothing to prevent this from happening, as long as it was with the Reds. Will it ever happen? Highly doubtbul. Mandalay owns a Midwest League franchise that is located in Dayton. Lots of moving parts would be required to buy another franchise, move it to Dayton, and then move the Midwest League franchise there to a new city. Highly unlikely. Would not make good business sense.

Rumors: Reds are looking to add a seventh farm club as a Northwest League affiliate. Would allow players who are ineligible to play for a Rookie level team (Billings) to have a place to play before going to Dayton.

Some other rumors: Kane County and the Cubs may happen. Cardinals could then go to Peoria, opening Quad Cities for someone. Astros might be a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

1) Could Dayton affiliate with someone other than the Reds? Not without the Reds permission, meaning in reality, no. Reds control the territory.

2) Could Dayton ever be a Double-A or Triple-A franchise? There is nothing to prevent this from happening, as long as it was with the Reds. Will it ever happen? Highly doubtbul. Mandalay owns a Midwest League franchise that is located in Dayton. Lots of moving parts would be required to buy another franchise, move it to Dayton, and then move the Midwest League franchise there to a new city. Highly unlikely. Would not make good business sense.

Rumors: Reds are looking to add a seventh farm club as a Northwest League affiliate. Would allow players who are ineligible to play for a Rookie level team (Billings) to have a place to play before going to Dayton.

Some other rumors: Kane County and the Cubs may happen. Cardinals could then go to Peoria, opening Quad Cities for someone. Astros might be a candidate.
    I'm glad to hear that the Reds are looking to add a short season A team. That should help to develop some kids who have already done the Rookie levels and can't make it in Dayton yet.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

72..... Is the rumor that they are taking over an existing team or creating a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There was nowhere for them to go....
    Possibly, but was there not the opportunity, in Florida? I'm just asking/curious.....I did notice a few of those teams were only signed thru this season.

Technically there was a chance as Daytona and Minnesota have not resigned yet, but both teams have been with the same club for 20 years. It wasn't going to happen. And Twins do spring training in Ft Myers just like Rays do training in Port Charlotte. Matches made in heaven.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-14-2012 at 12:38 AM.

The Brewers and Huntsville have extended for two more years.

Out of curiosity, why would the Cards move back to Peoria? They were there for ten years before they moved to Quad cities. Check me on this and let me know if I'm mistaken. I was looking at this about a week ago. Quad cities has an absolutely beautiful park right on the river as well.
    I just don't get the logic in this and yes, you said rumor so we'll see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would the Cards move back to Peoria? They were there for ten years before they moved to Quad cities. Check me on this and let me know if I'm mistaken. I was looking at this about a week ago. Quad cities has an absolutely beautiful park right on the river as well.
    I just don't get the logic in this and yes, you said rumor so we'll see I guess.
    In the Midwest League, it's about travel. Mapquest a bus trip from Quad Cities to Beloit, then to Lake County, then to Bowling Green.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

The Midwest League rumors are only rumors at this point. But Peoria is the best location for the Cardinals geographically. I do not know the history of the Cardinals move out of Peoria...not sure that they wanted to leave.

As I am sure you know, lots of reasons why a partnership would end other than just the quality of the ballpark. You have personalities involved. Many other factors too. For the record, I am not as big a fan as you of that ballpark. The view of the river is great, yes. Anytime I go in there, the place looks trashy. Last few times I went in there, I couldn't believe how messy the park looked. I have always believed you can look at the small details in a minor league park (cleanliness of the park, is the scoreboard operator constantly off, are they starting their games on time, etc.) and that will tell you about the whole front office. If they let little things go that fans see, they probably let bigger things go to. They also have had a high number of postponements traditionally, many beyond their control due to flooding, but still, big league clubs want their players playing the full schedule or close to it.

The Midwest League rumors are only rumors at this point. But Peoria is the best location for the Cardinals geographically. I do not know the history of the Cardinals move out of Peoria...not sure that they wanted to leave.

As I am sure you know, lots of reasons why a partnership would end other than just the quality of the ballpark. You have personalities involved. Many other factors too. For the record, I am not as big a fan as you of that ballpark. The view of the river is great, yes. Anytime I go in there, the place looks trashy. Last few times I went in there, I couldn't believe how messy the park looked. I have always believed you can look at the small details in a minor league park (cleanliness of the park, is the scoreboard operator constantly off, are they starting their games on time, etc.) and that will tell you about the whole front office. If they let little things go that fans see, they probably let bigger things go to. They also have had a high number of postponements traditionally, many beyond their control due to flooding, but still, big league clubs want their players playing the full schedule or close to it.
    Thanks for the feedback. Your points are right on and well taken. I have no first hand experience at the Devenport park. The pictures I had seen were pretty nice. St. Louis moved the Low A team from Savannah, Ga. to Peoria. From Peoria they went to Davenport. Not knowing the circumstances...thought it odd they would return to Peoria.

Marlins and Greensboro extend through 2014.

Not a PDC but...

The Charlotte Knights of the International League have broken ground on a new downtown ballpark. The team will begin play there in 2014. This will literally move the Charlotte Knights back into North Carolina as they have played their games for years in Fort Mills, S.C.

The Knights were swept by Pawtucket in the International League Championship playoffs this week.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post

FWIW...

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t565

Twins looking at Quad Cities today

Astros looking at Fort Wayne which with Dayton control the Midwest League. If the Astros can get in there, that is major coup for the Astros.

Its crazy to think that the Padres or Oakland could be stuck in Beloit, Wisconsin.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?