Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap flights

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Cheap flights

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Part of the reason the Cincy airport is slowly but surely dieing off.
    CVG is pathetic -- entire terminals are closed and vacant, and the "main" Delta terminal has about 80% of the flight monitors shut out.

I'd like to see the thing just shut up shop completely so that they can build a proper airport on the Ohio side of the river 20-30 years down the road.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    CVG is pathetic -- entire terminals are closed and vacant, and the "main" Delta terminal has about 80% of the flight monitors shut out.

I'd like to see the thing just shut up shop completely so that they can build a proper airport on the Ohio side of the river 20-30 years down the road.
    Delta also just closed their commuter line down, I would often use that to puddle jump up to Chicago, fact is it's time to release the hold Delta has on it and allow SWA in

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Delta also just closed their commuter line down, I would often use that to puddle jump up to Chicago, fact is it's time to release the hold Delta has on it and allow SWA in
    SWA just went into Dayton. They're also in CMH and IND. I doubt they'd add Cincinnati to their routes.

I don't see how an airport in Ohio would suddenly do better, nobody is silly enough to not use CVG because you need to cross a river, the only logical place anyway would be well north of town and those people are already going to Dayton, what they need to do is throw Delta out and start from scratch with any carrier that will talk to them.
    Go Gators!

I'm fine with the airport in Kentucky. Let them have the noise amd pollution

Snozzberries

Try Southwest or Jetblue from Columbus. Kayak is a good comparison site. Also, Tuesday night is supposedly the cheapest time to book a ticket.

In all my years buying airline tickets, I've yet to see a price difference between any of the major online sites (orbitz, travelocity, kayak, etc.) when booking.

Some other thoughts:

- If you search on bing.com, they have a feature that tracks prices for a given flight to give you an idea of where it's been and (possibly) where it's going. It's pretty nifty. Just type in the flight you want (CVG to LAX, for example) and pick the dates.

- If you have a full day to travel both directions and don't care when you leave or when you arrive, priceline.com can sometimes be a good deal. For that, I've had success searching for the lowest price the ticket ever appears at (search out 2 months to find the "super advanced" price) and bidding that.

- There's really no such thing as the "super cheap" fare any longer for most flights. Fuel prices have pretty much eliminated the great deals on travel that used to exist, as far as I can tell.
    Kayak has always been slightly cheaper for me. It was usually 25-75 bucks but it just really depends on how valuable you view your time. Some of the cheaper flights I saw had multiple layovers and I didn't feel like island hopping airports so I spent like 50-75 bucks more for 1 layover in either Atl or Det depending on which way I'd fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd rather have the jobs in Ohio and have one less reason to go to Kentucky.

As far as Delta goes -- their presence at CVG is so small now that I doubt they can do the 500lb gorilla act keeping other carriers out any longer.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've used fly.com and found decent enough deals there. We fly out of Dayton a lot. It takes an hour to get there from the house and about 35 minutes to get to CVG, so not much difference there.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How'd y'all figure out how to keep our air from mixing with yours? We need some help with Tennessee.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    How'd y'all figure out how to keep our air from mixing with yours? We need some help with Tennessee.
    It's pretty well diluted by the time it gets to us. Kentucky gets the bulk of it

Fly on Tuesday or Friday. Book your flight late at night and on Wednesday (I think). Then, go to the post office and knock 4 times on the counter and say 'achoo'.

Last July, I flew roundtrip from Houston to Cincinnati for 200 dollars. It came out to something like 232 dollars with taxes and airport fees. The flight was direct both ways. No stops or layovers. I got the deal on Priceline about a week before I was scheduled to depart. Maybe I just got lucky. There are some things you don't have control over. Like which flight, which airline, when it takes off, etc. And once you book that is it. No refunds. You just get whichever particular date you put down. But it was ridiculously cheaper than any other flight deal that I had run across. I started placing my bid at 150 and kept going up ten dollars at a time. At 200 dollars - Bingo! Maybe they just got tired of me bidding.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-13-2012 at 02:40 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

At that site, you can do things like include in your search airports that are up to $200 miles from your preferred airport, search within a date range or see plotted on a calendar the fares for a trip between two airports.

If you use the Chrome browser, IIRC the Google Flights plug in offers the same functionality.
    /r/reds

Just booked a last-minute round trip for this weekend from CVG to Washington DC for $140 on United. Dayton was over $250.

Turn Off Ads?