Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 138

Thread: NFL Officiating

  1. #16
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There was an NFL employee upstairs who didn't correct them either, so it's not just the replacement refs who messed up. It was a bad mistake, but it happened with the regular refs in 2009 too, so it's not unique to the replacement officials. Personally, I think the whole issue was overblown and that the refs did really well outside of that moment in the Arizona game.
    Disclaimer: I can't stand listening to Joe Buck. I would rather listen to nails running across a chalk board than listen to him do a game.

    That said it seemed like him and Aikman were eager to point out every flag that these were replacement refs only to show the replay and catch the penalty. They were a little flag happy in the GB SF game but as noted earlier that officiating group threw the most in preseason. Aside from the Arizona, Seattle game were there any other blatant errors? Were there any calls that made you scream "Get the regular officials back!"

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    There was an NFL employee upstairs who didn't correct them either, so it's not just the replacement refs who messed up. It was a bad mistake, but it happened with the regular refs in 2009 too, so it's not unique to the replacement officials. Personally, I think the whole issue was overblown and that the refs did really well outside of that moment in the Arizona game.
    I agree, there's plenty of blame to go around and I'd love to hear how those discussions went but in the end it was the referee's call so he has to take the fall for it. If he thought the helmet counted as the ball, I'd can him for that too. Here there's no union to deal with so the NFL can handle this however they want. I'm thinking that they do not want the fans to to think that they're using refs that don't even know the NFL rulebook.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Disclaimer: I can't stand listening to Joe Buck. I would rather listen to nails running across a chalk board than listen to him do a game.

    That said it seemed like him and Aikman were eager to point out every flag that these were replacement refs only to show the replay and catch the penalty. They were a little flag happy in the GB SF game but as noted earlier that officiating group threw the most in preseason. Aside from the Arizona, Seattle game were there any other blatant errors? Were there any calls that made you scream "Get the regular officials back!"
    I thought Michaels and Colinsworth were way worse. They were relentless with it and almost had a mocking tone about bad calls. I thought it was a little out of line.

  5. #19
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Not that it mattered but the Bengals were victimized by two bad calls. The drop called on AJ Green and Boldin's TD that wasn't a catch.

    There is a professionalism that the normal refs have over the current refs. They also have seen a number of replays that the current ones have not. It probably wouldn't have mattered but it sure would have been nice to see a call or two go the Bengals way last night.

  6. #20
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Not that it mattered but the Bengals were victimized by two bad calls. The drop called on AJ Green and Boldin's TD that wasn't a catch.

    There is a professionalism that the normal refs have over the current refs. They also have seen a number of replays that the current ones have not. It probably wouldn't have mattered but it sure would have been nice to see a call or two go the Bengals way last night.
    No way the Bengals were going to compete last night unless those kind of calls went their way. We also got screwed on some PI calls

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,155

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Disclaimer: I can't stand listening to Joe Buck. I would rather listen to nails running across a chalk board than listen to him do a game.

    That said it seemed like him and Aikman were eager to point out every flag that these were replacement refs only to show the replay and catch the penalty. They were a little flag happy in the GB SF game but as noted earlier that officiating group threw the most in preseason. Aside from the Arizona, Seattle game were there any other blatant errors? Were there any calls that made you scream "Get the regular officials back!"
    The only one I really saw last night was the missed horse collar tackle on Run DMC. Which would have extended the first Raider drive I believe.

    Aikman was probably just sticking up for the union, as he use to be (I dont know if retired players are still in) the NFLPA and I'm sure both unions try to stand up for the other when they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

    Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"


  8. #22
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    311

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    In the big picture I'm fine with the NFL starving the regular ones for awhile

    Why?

    Owners and players not getting a big enough piece of the millions for you?



    100's of millions of dollars in/out of this game... and they are using "replacements."

    It all smacks of greed. As usual. Why do we lap this game up anyway?
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  9. #23
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Why?

    Owners and players not getting a big enough piece of the millions for you?



    100's of millions of dollars in/out of this game... and they are using "replacements."

    It all smacks of greed. As usual. Why do we lap this game up anyway?
    No question the NFL owners are filthy rich but you don't get to be filthy rich by giving millions away. It's really pretty simple:

    The NFL holds the keys to the only way these officials can make $150K/yr. They have to work for the NFL in order to make that kind of jack. The games will go on without them. It won't affect ticket prices or the amount ESPN is shelling out to televise MNF. For that reason there's no point in giving in to their demands. Just let them sit out and lose paycheck after paycheck while the NFL rakes in money every week. It's amazing to me that the officials have a union to begin with

  10. #24
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Blame it on the replacements or not, but the officiating has been god awful today, all over the league.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  11. #25
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,814

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Blame it on the replacements or not, but the officiating has been god awful today, all over the league.
    I can't watch these games. I love football, but the refs play too important part of the game for them to use guys this bad. I keep seeing games influenced by bad calls throughout the game, and as SeaRay pointed out, it's not judgement calls, it's not knowing the rules.

    Seriously, I'm only watching baseball until this gets resolved.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  12. #26
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,343

    Re: NFL Officiating

    I didn't want to jump on the "OMG THE REFS SUCK" train too quickly... but OMG THE REFS SUCK. Every big play the Bengals make, I hold my breath expecting it to be called back on a BS call.

  13. #27
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: NFL Officiating

    I'm guessing just about everyone's watching the baseball game, including the refs in Baltimore.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  14. #28
    Member 5TimeWSChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Plays against New England that drive:

    Defensive Holding when Torrey wasn't touched
    Oher tackling a guy by the head - No call, screen pass for 30
    Defensive holding when the Offensive guy held him on a sack
    Offensive PI not called when Torrey Smith pushed off the DB

  15. #29
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: NFL Officiating

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Plays against New England that drive:

    Defensive Holding when Torrey wasn't touched
    Oher tackling a guy by the head - No call, screen pass for 30
    Defensive holding when the Offensive guy held him on a sack
    Offensive PI not called when Torrey Smith pushed off the DB
    Holy end of a game.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  16. #30
    Member 5TimeWSChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: NFL Officiating

    The refs literally held Flacco's hand the last two possessions.

    What an absolute joke, and it absolute sucks, cause it's going to eff over the Bengals


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25