Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Officiating

I wonder if those refs knew they weren't long for the NFL so they took Seattle and the 3.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: NFL Officiating

OK, yeah, maybe let's get the real officials back.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Just curiously, has anyone ever thrown a game winning interception on the last play of the game before tonight?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    OK, yeah, maybe let's get the real officials back.
    Nah, farceball is way funnier than football.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

that was the straw that broke Goodell's wallet
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I wonder if Vinny Testaverde will try to make a comeback now that you can win games by throwing interceptions?

If these replacement refs were officiating WWII, we'd all be speaking German
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    that was the straw that broke Goodell's wallet
    If Goodell had any integrity the incompetent call last night would be overturned today and Green Bay would be ruled the winner, 12-7.
    Maybe the NFL should try to find the referees who officiated the 1972 Olympic basketball game between the USA and the USSR and hire them.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I don't get why they couldn't overturn it, like: on further review, the receiver didn't have possession of the ball. That would have been against the rules, but this is okay?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Eh, why would the owners cave now? They're at their weakest point, negotiating wise. It'd make much more sense to run the replacement refs out there another week, just to show the union that they're willing to tolerate catastrophic mistakes if it means not paying real refs the money they want.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The thing is that last play was not the only crappy call in last night's game. In fact it was only the capper on a night of crappy calls. No way Wilson was roughed on his INT a few minutes earlier. No way Okung was holding on a previous play. There were countless calls that were horrible. It became downright unwatchable after awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Eh, why would the owners cave now? They're at their weakest point, negotiating wise. It'd make much more sense to run the replacement refs out there another week, just to show the union that they're willing to tolerate catastrophic mistakes if it means not paying real refs the money they want.
    You're probably right. They will only cave if it starts affecting the bottom line. If people stop watching and/or coming to games because of this, they won't do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I am not backing the replacement refs but there is this assumption that the real refs will get everything right. Which over the course of the past 25 years I have been watching NFL football is wrong. The regular NFL refs are prone to bad calls on a quarterly basis.

The problem I have with the current replacement refs aren't the calls, its the way they handle the calls. Its the not knowing of the ins and outs of the rules. Its the 10 second run off in the Bengals game, its the marking off of penalties wrong. In the NE Baltimore game the Ravens made a questionable FG that has been debated. Lets not forget the Browns game a few years back when the real refs made the wrong call when a game winning FG hit the crossbar and hopped over. The main complaint I have is the replacement refs are effecting the flow of the game. If the NFL keeps going down this path they need to get someone upstairs in the ear of the lead ref advising him on calls and the rules. It would haven't taken much for someone in a box to buzz the head ref in the Bengals game to say take 10 seconds off the clock.

As for the play last night it should have been an INT but I can't say with conviction that the regular refs would have made the call that way.

I remember joking last year that most games were decided by some very questionable calls and not really on-field performance. I don't see how this year is much different.

One thing is the games are going really late. The Raiders-Steelers game went past 8pm on Sunday

Turn Off Ads?