Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: NFL Officiating

Re: NFL Officiating

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The official that threw up his hands signaling TD still says that his call was right:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ll-golden-tate

If that's the way you see it old man, I say good riddance
    Every sport has their Doug Dinkengers (St Louis/KC World Series blunder).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought the officiating looked great last in Baltimore. It gave me the feeling of the Principal returning after the students took over his office for a few days. Order, calmness and maturity returned. That ref was one of the NFL's best.

ESPN seems infatuated with Ed Hochuli so for whatever it's worth, they announced that the Bengals will get him this week in Jacksonville. I think Ed's pretty good but there are others I'd rank above him

I thought the officiating looked great last in Baltimore. It gave me the feeling of the Principal returning after the students took over his office for a few days. Order, calmness and maturity returned. That ref was one of the NFL's best.

ESPN seems infatuated with Ed Hochuli so for whatever it's worth, they announced that the Bengals will get him this week in Jacksonville. I think Ed's pretty good but there are others I'd rank above him
    I agree.
    Any ref who gets to the point where you know his name has probably done something to deserve the notoriety. In that vein, I'd knock Hochuli and Mike Carey down a few pegs out of principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Hochuli is known because of his physique and his drawn out explanations of penalties I think. I could be wrong.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The Saints/ Pack game may have had more blown calls than any of the replacement games.....pretty scary.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by vr View Post
    the saints/ pack game may have had more blown calls than any of the replacement games.....pretty scary.
    but the replacement refs suck!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    but the replacement refs suck!!!!!
    This is why I made the comments I did in the overrated thread. The NFL has the absolute WORST collection of umpires/referees in sports and honestly its not close.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    This is why I made the comments I did in the overrated thread. The NFL has the absolute WORST collection of umpires/referees in sports and honestly its not close.
    The NFL has done a poor job of getting rid of its poor refs and replacing them with better refs. They say they have a ranking system that downgrades crews and doesn't allow them to work in the post season. That fine and dandy but it still doesn't prevent bad officials from working key games.

A big pet peeve of mine is with the explosion of the NFL the refs have become sideshows themselves. When a guy like Ed Hochuli is known for his biceps or his first down calls I have an issue with it. The greatest compliment you can give a ref is you didn't notice him on the field. The NFL head refs almost been branding themselves lately instead of worrying about their profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I think a lot of it are the rules. I think the NFL is the toughest sport to officiate. I mean do we really know what's a

1) Late hit?
    2) Pass interference?
    3) Holding?

I think a lot of it are the rules. I think the NFL is the toughest sport to officiate. I mean do we really know what's a

1) Late hit?
    2) Pass interference?
    3) Holding?
    I would argue that the block/charge in hoops is as hard if not harder to call. Also, pass interference can have a bigger impact on an individual play, but in basketball, a ref's choices on a 50/50 call can actually force a coach to remove a player from the game. The only thing that is even close is soccer with the card system.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The NFL has done a poor job of getting rid of its poor refs and replacing them with better refs. They say they have a ranking system that downgrades crews and doesn't allow them to work in the post season. That fine and dandy but it still doesn't prevent bad officials from working key games.

A big pet peeve of mine is with the explosion of the NFL the refs have become sideshows themselves. When a guy like Ed Hochuli is known for his biceps or his first down calls I have an issue with it. The greatest compliment you can give a ref is you didn't notice him on the field. The NFL head refs almost been branding themselves lately instead of worrying about their profession.
    I think also that is part of the reason the NFL wanted to increase the number of crews I think from 17 to 20 as a means to try and weed out some of the poorer crews/refs.

William Arthur Ward

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I would argue that the block/charge in hoops is as hard if not harder to call. Also, pass interference can have a bigger impact on an individual play, but in basketball, a ref's choices on a 50/50 call can actually force a coach to remove a player from the game. The only thing that is even close is soccer with the card system.
    I agree.

Granted--and I've stated this previously--a team (Football or Basketball) simply needs to score enough points when it has a chance, not leaving the outcome up to the Officials. That stated, Sea Ray's point about counting off the correct yardage and getting the amount of timeouts correct is spot-on. There is no excuse in either case.

IMHO, for the reasons/situations that Improbus presented, I firmly believe that Officials are more likely to be in a position to influence the outcome of a Basketball game more often than a Football game. Again, that is just a personal opinion.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

To back up my point of NFL officials becoming celebrities Ed Hochuli is on the cover of SI.

The two things that the NFL officials do better is keep the flow of the game going and have a firm knowledge of the rules. For the most part I don't think the replacement refs made any more questionable or awful calls than the usual refs do. They did let the game get out of control at times and didn't understand some of small intricacies of the rules.

Green Bay can't blame the replacement refs if they miss the playoffs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Green Bay can't blame the replacement refs if they miss the playoffs anymore.
    Sure they can. For instance if they tie with Seattle

Turn Off Ads?