Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 477

Thread: The Howl

  1. #331
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.
    I think you are overreacting a bit. I've never heard this iteration of the woo at a baseball game, but I've heard woo girls do it a billion times. It's not that annoying.

    Drunk people yell all sorts of stuff at baseball games. When I came to town in 2010, some big drunk guy kept yelling "Hey Gomes, let's rock and roll!" in the left field seats. That guy drank like a million beers that night.*

    * - May have been me.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

  2. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-19-2013), Blitz Dorsey (04-19-2013), reds44 (04-19-2013), RichRed (04-19-2013), Tom Servo (04-19-2013), Tommyjohn25 (04-23-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #332
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.

  5. #333
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: The Howl

    I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup because it was a glimpse into another culture. Would I hate it at an actual match if I attended? Probably. But I would respect it as tradition in the stadium I was visiting. It was representative of how things were done differently in South Africa.

    Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. It was started by some drunken yahoos in an extra inning game, somehow picked up steam and has carried on. It isn't clever, funny, enjoyable, or anything representative of Reds baseball. For hundreds of years baseball has been played in Cincinnati without people "Wooing" for no reason. You know what players like? CHEERING. Support for your home team. Going nuts on big plays. Lots of noise leading up to a big moment. You actually think players like random fans cowling at the top of their lungs!?

    I can't believe it's still going on. It's embarrassing really. Try explaining to an outsider why your fans are randomly yelling. It's impossible. There is no reasoning behind it. I think the people that do it and the people that support it get a kick out of seeing people get upset and embarrassed about it, and that's what's caused it to keep going. It's just people screaming for attention, and it's pathetic in my opinion.

  6. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (04-20-2013), George Anderson (04-19-2013), malcontent (04-19-2013), OesterPoster (04-20-2013), Red in Chicago (04-19-2013), remdog (04-19-2013), texasdave (04-20-2013)

  7. #334
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: The Howl

    The Woo is the worst thing to happen to Reds baseball since Corey Patterson.

    Or Jim Edmonds.

  8. #335
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,083

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. .
    This makes Ric Flair cry.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. Likes:

    moewan (04-20-2013), redsfanmia (04-19-2013)

  10. #336
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup
    See, I KNEW there had to be one out there somewhere!

  11. #337
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.
    When a family of morons are sitting directly in front of me, doing it the entire game at the top of their lungs, I find it terribly annoying, period. It totally distracts from my enjoyment of the game.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  12. #338
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    594

    Re: The Howl

    The problem with the wooing is that it has replaced the old-fashioned, family-friendly heckle. At least a good heckler adds some variation and (occasional) humour.

  13. #339
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,992

    Re: The Howl

    I'm much more annoyed and distracted by some of the stuff the Reds constantly play on the PA. Whatever that "come on come on come on" thing is needs to die a quick death.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  14. Likes:

    919191 (04-20-2013), RichRed (04-19-2013)

  15. #340
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,864

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    I'm much more annoyed and distracted by some of the stuff the Reds constantly play on the PA. Whatever that "come on come on come on" thing is needs to die a quick death.
    Amen to that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  16. #341
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,267

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I liked the vuvuzelas at the world cup because it was a glimpse into another culture. Would I hate it at an actual match if I attended? Probably. But I would respect it as tradition in the stadium I was visiting. It was representative of how things were done differently in South Africa.

    Nothing about the woo is even remotely traditional. It was started by some drunken yahoos in an extra inning game, somehow picked up steam and has carried on. It isn't clever, funny, enjoyable, or anything representative of Reds baseball. For hundreds of years baseball has been played in Cincinnati without people "Wooing" for no reason. You know what players like? CHEERING. Support for your home team. Going nuts on big plays. Lots of noise leading up to a big moment. You actually think players like random fans cowling at the top of their lungs!?

    I can't believe it's still going on. It's embarrassing really. Try explaining to an outsider why your fans are randomly yelling. It's impossible. There is no reasoning behind it. I think the people that do it and the people that support it get a kick out of seeing people get upset and embarrassed about it, and that's what's caused it to keep going. It's just people screaming for attention, and it's pathetic in my opinion.
    Try this: we had an insanely long extra inning game last year, the stadium was 95% empty and people started randomly wooing (which pretty much everyone found funny) and it just stuck.

    Wow, that was impossible.

    People go to sporting events all the time and yell things that if you really think about it are stupid and annoying. I find the constant playing of fight songs and college games to be annoying. The organ at Wrigley annoys the pee out of me. Grown men heckling other grown men? Very stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-20-2013)

  18. #342
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,865

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.
    I control my reactions, but I can't control what annoys or distracts me.

  19. #343
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    You control your own reactions to things. You determine whether something annoys you or distracts you.
    I definitely hear where you're coming from, but I'd love to see someone yell in your ear with a blowhorn while you're driving and see if you still have the same viewpoint. I'm pretty sure that would "distract" you and it would be out of your "control." Might even "annoy" you, although I would use a stronger word.

    The idea that humans can always control their reactions to things is faulty. There are many times we can control our reactions, but certainly not always.

    But yes, as it pertains to the "woooing" ... people can absolutely control whether or not that bothers them.

  20. #344
    Member powersackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,336
    My reaction is to turn my TV volume to mute. Did it for Nick Greens at bat in the fourth today. The woos are like nails on a chalkboard. I don't want to react that way but I do. I'd rather enjoy the sights and SOUNDS of normal baseball going fans.

    The Wooomorons freedom of speech ends when the majority finds it offensive. Letter/petition to Castellinni should go out this week. I will be requesting his staff kick them out after one warning. Will post link to petition asap.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

  21. Likes:

    757690 (04-20-2013), malcontent (04-20-2013), smith288 (04-23-2013)

  22. #345
    Member tomnuetten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Freiburg (Germany)
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: The Howl

    Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    My reaction is to turn my TV volume to mute. Did it for Nick Greens at bat in the fourth today. The woos are like nails on a chalkboard. I don't want to react that way but I do. I'd rather enjoy the sights and SOUNDS of normal baseball going fans.

    The Wooomorons freedom of speech ends when the majority finds it offensive. Letter/petition to Castellinni should go out this week. I will be requesting his staff kick them out after one warning. Will post link to petition asap.

    I donīt like it either... why screaming something stupid if you could use your voice to support the team. as german, Iīm used to soccer fans who support their team with singing songs.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25