Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Howl

Re: The Howl

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    I worked on my coloring book on a picture of Jimmy Votto and drank a sixer during lunch.

WOOOO!!
    Did you stay in the lines?

Did you recycle your empties?

Some of life's test's never end.

2. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (04-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I think if we could do an objective SABR-like data pull of wooers vs. non-wooers there would be some interesting correlations.

-I would guarantee that the collective IQ of the non-wooers is higher than the wooers. That doesn’t mean that all wooers have low IQ’s, but overall I bet their IQ’s would be lower.

-I would guarantee that the collective Blood Alcohol Level of the non-wooers is lower than the wooers. That doesn’t mean that all wooers are drunks, but I bet overall, they would have more alcohol in their system.

-I would guarantee that the non-wooers could name more players on the Reds than the wooers. That doesn’t mean that all wooers are low-information/casual fans, but I bet overall, they know less about the team they claim to “follow”.

Get off my lawn.
    I dunno, dumb, drunk, and wooing sounds like a LOT more fun!

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (04-19-2013)

I would say that if I was woo hooing, I would be drunker n dumber than normal
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

7. Likes:

Captain13 (04-19-2013)

Also, short of a tianneman (sp) square type execution on fountain square, the woo-hooing may not stop. Ever.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Maybe he was being disingenuous? He might secretly loathe "The Wooo".
    Nah. Frazier loves everything. It's his one fault as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Love how everyone is ignoring the fact that Todd Frazier says he likes the wooing.

Kind of flies in the face of "the players hate it" argument, eh?
    I'm not surprised that some players might like it.

My position regarding the WOOOOO is a nuanced one which might shed some light on one of the main reasons why some players and fans like it and some players and fans don't.

Here's my official position:

1) as a diehard Reds fan living in San Jose California and therefore confined primarily to watching games on television, I find the WOOOOO "mildly amusing, sometimes irritating, but generally fun" as a television viewer

2) making a strongly educated guess — based on my past attendance at many sporting events – I would expect to find the WOOOOO somewhat less amusing, somewhat more irritating, but still fairly fun as a fan attending a game at GABP.

3) making another educated guess — based again on my past attendance at many sporting events and – I would expect to find the WOOOOOOO totally unamusing, highly irritating, and no fun at all if some Yahoo seated directly behind me did it several times an inning all game long

So anyway, I'm sure some of the disagreement depends on one's natural bent toward loud and goofy behavior, but I also think one's opinion is also dependent one's proximity to the phenomena (the farther away the better) and the frequency of the phenomena (occasional= OK ; constant= loathsome).

Anyway, that's my 10 cents

Go Reds!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited by smixsell; 04-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.

11. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-19-2013),IslandRed (04-19-2013),texasdave (04-20-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I'm not surprised that some players might like it.

My position regarding the WOOOOO is a nuanced one which might shed some light on one of the main reasons why some players and fans like it and some players and fans don't.

Here's my official position:

1) as a diehard Reds fan living in San Jose California and therefore confined primarily to watching games on television, I find the WOOOOO "mildly amusing, sometimes irritating, but generally fun" as a television viewer

2) making a strongly educated guess — based on my past attendance at many sporting events – I would expect to find the WOOOOO somewhat less amusing, somewhat more irritating, but still fairly fun as a fan attending a game at GABP.

3) making another educated guess — based again on my past attendance at many sporting events and – I would expect to find the WOOOOOOO totally unamusing, highly irritating, and no fun at all if some Yahoo seated directly behind me did it several times an inning all game long

So anyway, I'm sure some of the disagreement depends on one's natural bent toward loud and goofy behavior, but I also think one's opinion is also dependent one's the proximity to the phenomena (the farther away the better) and the frequency of the phenomena (occasional= OK ; constant= loathsome).

Anyway, that's my 10 cents

Go Reds!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    I agree with everything in this post. I also believe there should be no "woooing" until the final trimester of any game. If there was a limit of, say, 5-7 Wooos per person and they were all in the final three innings and extra innings, of course, I think it would be less miserable for the get-off-my-lawn crowd. I am good for between zero and three "wooos" per game.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    What if this is as good as it gets?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    If you want to stop the woo, replace it with something more creative.
    That would be the Wave.

Quote Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
    the last game i went to was last year where the reds clinched from the dodgers. The howl was the most annoying thing ive witnessed at a game. Its basically drunk men (always male) screaming every 30 seconds at each other. Its not rooting its not cheering. They are vying for attention. Its purpose is to take your attention away from the game and put it on whoever is doing the screaming. I hate it. Im not going to a game until this is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Well... there we go. This post puts a fork in the argument for me. I am sure most people called a psychologist would agree with you. Thanks for posting.

If this is true, I concede the point. However, from a purely televised perspective, it certainly appears that the majority of woo-ers are kids. My cousins kids love the woo.

Granted, it may have initially been created by the type of individual you describe, but the accounts from others who have also attended games regularly differ significantly from yours. Universally when I have asked my extended family in the area, they have responded that the kids love it.

Kids also love the wave and other audience participation events that receive much disdain.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    That would be the Wave.
    I will replicate the action from the stands in this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRs...B048A11E659CD7

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I just can't believe there is a 22 page thread about this.

Like it or don't like it. It's really not a big deal.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post

You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post

It's only 11 pages in my browser

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-19-2013),919191 (04-20-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You haven't sat by someone doing it then. It is a big deal. It is insanely annoying and distracting.
    I don't disagree with you, but so is someone talking on their cell phone all game...someone who is cursing the entire game at the umps...someone who uses those vuvuzu(sp?) things...or any number of things. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a parent and I find it easier to do than others but I simply choose to focus my attention on the game and ignore those around me. IMO it's much ado about nothing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but so is someone talking on their cell phone all game...someone who is cursing the entire game at the umps...someone who uses those vuvuzu(sp?) things...or any number of things. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a parent and I find it easier to do than others but I simply choose to focus my attention on the game and ignore those around me. IMO it's much ado about nothing.
    Someone talking on their phone at the game is not distracting. It isn't any different than them talking to the person next to them.

vuvuzeulas are terrible. Someone screaming/cursing at the ump is also very bad. The difference is, vuvuzuelas can be banned from the game and a person cursing can be removed from the game. Someone can scream "woo" all game long and there really isn't anything that anyone can do about it.

22. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?