Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Howl

Re: The Howl

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    There is nothing "fun" about it. It is simply a way for narcissistic fans to get other people to look at them. It adds nothing to the experience of attending a game.
    Kind of like the morons trying to start the wave when there are 15,000 people in the ballpark.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don't think it's going anywhere though. Hell, you can buy WOO merchandise at the vendors around the stadium now.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I thought it was kind of amusing because the fans that were left had been sitting there for five hours, and who could blame them for getting a little punchy. Now if it caught on as a permanent thing, THAT could get annoying.
    It's officially annoying.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

5. Likes:

Homer Bailey (04-19-2013),remdog (04-19-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013),Tommyjohn25 (04-18-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

You guys better embrace it! As Monds said, it ain't going anywhere. It's carried over into the new season. I love it.

And yes, the fact that it gets under the skin of people like John Fay and Lance McAllister makes me like it even more. Those guys act like it's the worst thing to ever happen to the Reds. It's hilarious hearing them whine about it.

And fans are whining about it too? I didn't hear you guys whine THIS much during the years of 2001-09 when we barely qualified as a real MLB team. Losing doesn't bother you as much as howling/wooing? Have some fun with it! Again, it's here to stay. Is there any doubt about that? So, might as well embrace it.

Or, we can have Reds fans arguing with each other all season if it should be done or not. Yeah, that sounds like fun. Or we could just say "Screw it, we're wooing" and have some fun with it.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 04-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Better embrace the complaining of those who hate it. I would be in that number. Truly annoying. There was a family sitting in front of me at the first game of the playoffs and they did it, the whole game. It was beyond awful and was more than annoying. People all around me were really bothered by it.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 04-18-2013 at 09:29 AM.

8. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013)

And, by the way, it has nothing to do with caring about winning and losing.

10. Likes:

malcontent (04-18-2013),Stingray (04-18-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Better embrace the complaining of those who hate it. I would be in that number. Truly annoying. There was a family sitting in front of me at the first game of the playoffs and they did it, the whole game. It was beyond awful and was more than annoying. People all around me were really bothered by it.
    I'm with you, Randy, it makes my skin crawl and detracts from the game.

Mostly because it has nothing at all to do with the game- it's not cheering or jeering or even reacting in any way to the game itself. It's just about making noise to annoy others. I don't expect a library type atmosphere at the game so I can concentrate at all. I don't even mind people in front of me or around me talking about other things and not paying attention to the game at all. But the Howl....make my blood boil.

I'm your age, so maybe it's an age related thing, and only bitter old men like us detest it?

12. Likes:

marcshoe (04-18-2013),Revering4Blue (04-18-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Well, this sounds inevitable: Reds fans will be arguing amongst each other all season whether or not it should be done. Also inevitable: It will be done. It's caught on and Reds fans (likely inebriated ones) will be doing it at every home game all year. It's too bad so many fans act like it's the worst thing in the world because it's crystal clear to me it's not going anywhere.

Of note: I've never participated in the wooing since I haven't been to a Reds game since early last year (before the wooing began). I will be going to the Braves game at GABP on May 7, but it will be part of a company outing -- my first time ever sitting in a luxury box -- and I highly doubt I'll do it then. But I don't understand why it's THAT big of a deal to the people who dislike it. You guys are all coming across as killjoys whether you want to admit it or not. Lance McAllister literally getting into verbal sparring matches with fans over it on Twitter was frankly embarrassing for Lance. He came across very weird.

I was a howl backer last year, an organic thing that came from a wacky game where dogs were allowed in the ballpark. Figured it would fizzle out over the winter and we'd be back to normal in 2013.

At least I have the mute button.

15. Likes:

RichRed (04-18-2013),Tom Servo (04-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I don't notice it. Ever. Unless I've read about it here and am listening really hard for it, then just barely. IDK. Just not a big deal to me, I guess.

FWIW if you are in the stadium I don't see how you could not notice it.

It's like somebody sat down and decided to try and think up something fans could do that would be MORE annoying than the wave.

And the function for fans is EXACTLY the function of the wave. It isn't organic cheering. It's what ....these folks...do when they get bored and stop watching the game. Last night the reds were up 11-0 and not a howl to be heard. Dusty takes Leak out and puts in the kid from AAA to get him an inning and the kid promptly give up a homer. Up starts the howl continuously for the rest of the night. It's got nothing to do with the baseball game. It's ALL look at me...listen to me.....I am here.

Not a fan of the howl at all.
    Last edited by dfs; 04-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

17. Likes:

remdog (04-19-2013)

If people are going to "wooo" like Ric Flair, they should be chopped in the throat like Ric Flair.

It's only fair to Flair.

20. Likes:

malcontent (04-18-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Is it fun to howl?

I get more of a kick *****ing about howling than if I were howling like a coyote.

The howl... the vuvuzela of the unwashed and unaware baseball fan

As charming as a drunk uncle at a Sunday dinner

23. Likes:

George Anderson (04-18-2013),Homer Bailey (04-19-2013),malcontent (04-18-2013),Number_Fourteen (04-18-2013),remdog (04-19-2013),Revering4Blue (04-18-2013),texasdave (04-18-2013),Tommyjohn25 (04-18-2013),TSJ55 (04-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The howl... the vuvuzela of the unwashed and unaware baseball fan

As charming as a drunk uncle at a Sunday dinner
    Hey!! I would never howl!!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Turn Off Ads?